NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 17>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 2:16pm
Not sure if your interested in this for your rebuild but this was listed in my area for a fish:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2041537243.html
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 8:28pm
Bilge stringers install has started..
I picked up my last set of stringers yesterday from Compsys. They are, of course as perfect as the first set. These where made with Triax instead of biax so they will give me the added stiffness I was looking for. The Install for these where a little more difficult because of there size. Today we where only able to get two of the six installed. Enjoy the pics....
Here is Shawn leveling out one of the stringers

Brian and Shawn Truing it up. ( I am playing Camera Man)

I set the camera on Auto

The Metal piece is the Gas tank jig. We made sure we had clearence for the Tank

Of course there is a few more pictures in my photobucket.
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 3:01pm
looking got John...
Don Liberman
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 4:28pm
I just love these well documented restaurations...
Great work John, keep the pics coming!

BTW can you post the link to your photobucket?

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 4:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 2:15am
Are they actually structual stringers or engine compartment bulk heads? If the stiffeners were removed where the saddle tanks go wouldn't the tanks act as stiffeners and give you more room for fuel. Are the tanks going all the way back to the transom and forward to the front of the engine? Have you figured the capacity of the tanks yet?
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by tuna_tugger tuna_tugger wrote:

Are they actually structual stringers or engine compartment bulk heads? If the stiffeners were removed where the saddle tanks go wouldn't the tanks act as stiffeners and give you more room for fuel. Are the tanks going all the way back to the transom and forward to the front of the engine? Have you figured the capacity of the tanks yet?

Yes they are structual.Not sure about removing the stiffeners, but they are only one inch in hight so its not really much of an issue. The tanks are going to be 8 ft. in lenght and will hold 50.5 GALS aprox. might be a little bit more or less depending on the deck landings that I am putting in. I should be getting those tomorrow so I will know if I have to trim the tank or I can add to it. Project is going good though. I am hoping to have the tanks by Dec. 1st so the deck will hopefully be done by Xmass.

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 12:48am
Sounds good. Maybe I'll have my tanks follow the contour of the hull to get a little more fuel in. Labor is cheep mown here. From the photos and your discription I would say the project is going perfict.
Our boats are working just about every day and I'm having carborator problems with the fish. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and put on fuel injection.
Don Liberman
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 4:54pm
hey john what are you using to grind all the paint and stuff off the inside gunwales? Its killing me usinf an air sander!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

hey john what are you using to grind all the paint and stuff off the inside gunwales? Its killing me usinf an air sander!

I just pulled those skins off. But for grinding I was using a flap grinding wheel, 40 grit. Home depot has them in 4 inch or 7 inch.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 11:35pm
oh yeah i see that now...
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2010 at 12:02am
I was able to get two more sections of stringer in today. These things are huge so it takes some convincing to get them to do what you want. Well not much to say the pictures tell the story.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2010 at 12:41pm
Thanks for the detailed pictures and out right documentation on the restore of your Fish. I see you pulled all the liner out, do you plan on reinstaling it in some fashion or changing all together? Reason for the question is we are in the midst of stripping our Fish and re-stringering but was going to pop the deck off the hull to pull the liner, wher as you cut yours out. I did see you made new hatch lids, did you keep your mold for more??
Keep us posted and for me especially when you install your foor.
Thanks again.
Jody
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Thanks for the detailed pictures and out right documentation on the restore of your Fish. I see you pulled all the liner out, do you plan on reinstaling it in some fashion or changing all together? Reason for the question is we are in the midst of stripping our Fish and re-stringering but was going to pop the deck off the hull to pull the liner, wher as you cut yours out. I did see you made new hatch lids, did you keep your mold for more??
Keep us posted and for me especially when you install your foor.
Thanks again.
Jody

Hey Jody, Yeah I am going to reinstall the liner. What I plan on doing is cut the lip that I left on there, grind up the side about 10 inches. Then I was going to glass the liner to the new deck making it all one piece again. Not sure if that makes any sense but I will have pictures of the entire process. As for the hatch molds, yes I have the molds and I can pull what ever you need. I just picked up a Binks B5D chop gun system, it makes life alot eaiser whe doing glass work.

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2010 at 1:10am
John, I tried to find information on the Binks B5D chopper gun but had no luck. Is there another number or name for it?

Don
Don Liberman
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2010 at 2:14pm
Try this. http://www.binks.com
plenty of Binks info.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2010 at 8:38pm
hey john im at work today but took some more pics of the boat and will try to post them tm when i get home... just out of curiousity, what did you end up spending on the chop gun?
miniorf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 3:18am
Woow really good thread! She coming along great! I to am bring a fish back to life. I just recently picked up the project. Seems were at similar stages. The prior owners replaced the stringers up till the front deck. That area dosn't have any soft spots in that section but I'm afraid of what lies beneath. Did you find significant root under that? In your pictures it looked like it!

I also may be interested in a pair of those big bilge hatch surounds and covers, they look nice.

I've started my own thread, so I don't find my self hijacking yours! Check it out. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20088&PID=248818#248818Once again thanks yall especialy jzarskiI've learned so much about this boat from this thread alone.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 1:19pm
Well I know I haven't been posting much. I have been crazy busy with planning a wedding and working at mt shop. The weather here in FL hasn't been great either. I will be getting back to the boat on Monday, I hope to have her in a new home for 3 months. I am trying to convince the landlord where my fiberglass shop is to let me rent a space for 3 months to finish this boat. I hope to hear from him later today. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

John
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 7:38pm
hey john what are your thoughts on the type of glass to use on the floor/deck, should i use the multiple layers of 1808 and a layer of mat on top or just the 1808?? trying to figure out hows the easiest way of getting the floor smooth
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

hey john what are your thoughts on the type of glass to use on the floor/deck, should i use the multiple layers of 1808 and a layer of mat on top or just the 1808?? trying to figure out hows the easiest way of getting the floor smooth

I am going to use 1708 Biax +-45, with the chop on the back. This is not going to give you a smooth finish but it will give you strenght. Then you can level it from there. Are you ready to put your deck on?? I am getting there, today I put the last piece of stringer in and will do all the cap glass this week. I also got a call from the guy that is making my tank, they will be ready for a dry fit Monday. If they fit right ( I really hope they do) then he said they will be done by Wednesday. I have a few picture but havn't got them off my camera yet, will post them in a hour of so. O yeah and about my post the other day, I did get the boat in its new home for the next 3 months. A nice little 1000 Sq.Ft. warehouse just for my boat. Now I don't have to worry about weather.

Waiting for my buddy to open the shop so we can get in....

Last piece of stringer installed.

John
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 11:18pm
Man John I can not believe how nice your boat is lookin! im jealous lol you are really doing an unbelievable job! Pretty work neways my friend and i have been setting everything up getting ready for the floor and fish box to go in. we were glassing some more braces on the transom area today just for that extra stregnth. bracket next week hopefully.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 11:25pm
Post some pics, I would love to see the progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 12:32am
Jonh your boat is looking awesome. Keep the pics. comming
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 8:46pm
Gas tank dry fit.....
Today I picked up the gas tanks. Eight feet looks big when you are standing next to it.

They are not done but we wanted to fit them before it gets welded all up. If something needs to be changed, now is the time.

They fit perfect, now I just need to figure out where the fills, vents and pickups are all gonna go. I have somewhat of am idea just need to do the math and see if it will all fit.

Now I need some advice. I have an option to move the tanks about 12-15 inches forward. Would you all suggest I do it or leave them as far back to the transome as I can??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 8:51pm
Are you planing on installing cav plates (trim Tabs)? or anything else on the transom that wil require thru bolting? If so I would recomend leaving enough work room behind the tanks to access the hull bottom and low transom area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 10:02pm
I think you need to move them forward. I think 6-8" would be plenty. You will need to put an equalizer line between the two tanks and that would have to go on the end and as low as possable. Do the tanks have any baffels in them? I would think you will need trim tabs. They look nice.....
Don Liberman
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 10:25pm
Cool boat, nice detailed thread, and great work! Can't wait to come down and cruise to the Bahamas with you
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 12:15am
Originally posted by tuna_tugger tuna_tugger wrote:

I think you need to move them forward. I think 6-8" would be plenty. You will need to put an equalizer line between the two tanks and that would have to go on the end and as low as possable. Do the tanks have any baffels in them? I would think you will need trim tabs. They look nice.....

Why do you think I will need the equalizer line? My plan was to just run two seperate pickups.... Is this not a good idea? I will set it up so both tanks can be turned on or off. The tanks have two baffels in each.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 12:29am
With a large enough equalizer between the two tanks you will only need one fill point. Also it will keep the boat in ballance. With tanks of that shape you won't be able to put a fuel gague in them so a flow meter on your plotter or sounder will be the only way you will know how much fuel you have burned. My experance is the simpler you can keep it the better off you are. What are the tanks made of? If they are allum. you should either epoxy coat them or pay special attention on how you mount them or they will corrode. You may think they will be sealed in but you will always have condensation.
Don Liberman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic