Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 2001 LVL Stringer Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
Author
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 1:31pm
This weekend I only worked on the boat Saturday. Sunday we went down and visited my granddad for fathers day since my Dad is no longer with us. So we got to spend the day Sunday on the lake having a good time. Talk about making you want to get a project done!!

So back to Saturday. I started off by cleaning up 27 years of tarnish off of the boats metal parts before I start installing them. They shine like a new penny now.

Once all that was finished I left my strut sitting out in the sun to expand a bit while I had the new cutlass bearings in the freezer. After a few hours I pulled the bearings out of the freezer and stuck them in the strut. I got them in about half way by hand and that was as far as they would go. I easily slid them the rest of the way in with a piece of all thread, a few washers and nuts.

Next was on to doing some work on wood. I cut out the rear removable floor and the brace that goes with it. I have not cut the access hole in it yet because I want to get a jig and cut it with my router so it is a nice straight circle.

Next I cut out the piece that goes over the front of the engine cradle for the carpet to glue to.

Finally I cut the top to the battery box. Once I glue these two pieces together I will cut the corners. That way they are nice and smooth.

Here is all 3 pieces

I do not think I showed you guys the welds after I got back my engine cradle. I knocked the tops of the welds off so they were somewhat flat but I wanted to leave some mass so that it would hopefully not crack again anytime soon.

The red stuff you see on there is just a little lumber crayon I used to mark the location of the welds on the wood that is going there. I routed out places on the wood for the welds so that the wood would sit down flat and I would not have to grid down so much of the weld.

One side effect of the welding though is the pieces moved a little. when I put it in the boat the pylon would not go in the hole!! So I massaged it just a little bit and got the pylon in. Then it did not line up with the mount in the hull. At this point I am freaking out a little, because it was fitting fine before I painted!! But after I relaxed a little, I took the pylon and adjusted the aluminum a little bit by putting in just the top and prying slightly and that did the trick. Crisis adverted!!     Now it slides right in and into the mount no problems.

Next I drilled the mounting holes for the cradle. 14 holes in my brand new stringers!! I filled them up with lag bolts to make sure everything fit and it did. Now I have to pull them all back out and fill them up with some cpes and then some 5200 and mount it back in for good.

I also had a bunch of parts come in this weekend so my parts pile is growing.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 6:58pm
My carpet glue finally came in. I could only find one place that had waterproof carpet glue here in town and the day I went in to buy it they sold the last they had a hour before I got there. Well I say the only place there was one other that could special order it but it would take 2 weeks to get here.

No worries though the place that stocks it finally restocked today, so I will be laying carpet tonight!!

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:48pm
word of advice on the glue,be careful to make sure you dont use too
much. Mine had two little spots that soaked through, I picked at them with a razor blade and got rid of most of the glue but it was something I was not careful enough about.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

word of advice on the glue,be careful to make sure you dont use too
much. Mine had two little spots that soaked through, I picked at them with a razor blade and got rid of most of the glue but it was something I was not careful enough about.

The glue soaked through the backing on the carpet?

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:53pm
yup it sure did. It was something I did not anticipate. but I must have just had a few blobs in that spot or something. I use a trowel but I wasnt super careful because I didnt imagine that could happen.
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:56pm
The Bronze does shine up nice, the down side is that it wont last unless you clear coat it. I put copper pipes on mine yesterday, polished then clear coated so that the shine would last!
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:57pm
Got ya, thanks for the tip!! How long did it take you to lay everything?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by 84SN2001 84SN2001 wrote:

The Bronze does shine up nice, the down side is that it wont last unless you clear coat it. I put copper pipes on mine yesterday, polished then clear coated so that the shine would last!

Yea I figured it would not last but at least it will be shiney when I finish the boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 8:06pm

yup it sure did. It was something I did not anticipate. but I must have just had a few blobs in that spot or something. I use a trowel but I wasnt super careful because I didnt imagine that could happen.

Wow, I have never had that happen. And Ive used both thick, expensive carpet, and thin inexpensive grass stuff (always marine or outdoor though). And I put the glue on THICK, with a brush.

What type of carpet did you use?
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 8:29pm
The boat looks really good, Im jealous, its like Christmas with all the new parts

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wow, I have never had that happen. And Ive used both thick, expensive carpet, and thin inexpensive grass stuff (always marine or outdoor though). And I put the glue on THICK, with a brush.

What type of carpet did you use?

Spartan 24oz, from boatcarpetbuys.com . I have bought the cheapers stuff before and this was definitly nicer but there were 2- 1/8th inch spots where the glue seaped through. It almost like whicked up the threads in a way. Maybe their glue was too thin.
ezb0012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezb0012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:53pm
New to the site. Joined because of this discussion alone. I have an 85' 2001 that I am about to begin restoring and reading this has been extremely helpful. So helpful that I am actually going to make some what of a powerpoint of it all and keep updating it as you do so I have something to reference a little quicker.

Keep up the aweome work Kris. I look forward to seeing the completed project and once I begin mine I will start a discussion here.

Thanks for the info and pictures. Very very helpful fellas
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 2:04pm
The carpet on the sides of the boat is in. Woo Hoo, Doing the happy dance!!

These 2 pieces went in pretty easy and only had a few places where I needed to clean the glue off of the carpet. I am going to get the bottoms trimmed up and hopefully get the floor piece cut out tonight.

My damper plate is supposed to be here today so I will try to get that put on tomorrow and then glue the floor carpet glued down. Then the trim on Friday.

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by 84SN2001 84SN2001 wrote:

The boat looks really good, Im jealous, its like Christmas with all the new parts

Thanks!! I know it is fun buying all the new stuff. Of course the wife probably will not like it all that much if she sees the bill.

Originally posted by ezb0012 ezb0012 wrote:

New to the site. Joined because of this discussion alone. I have an 85' 2001 that I am about to begin restoring and reading this has been extremely helpful. So helpful that I am actually going to make some what of a powerpoint of it all and keep updating it as you do so I have something to reference a little quicker.

Keep up the aweome work Kris. I look forward to seeing the completed project and once I begin mine I will start a discussion here.

Thanks for the info and pictures. Very very helpful fellas

Awesome, welcome to the site. If there is ever any questions you have feel free to ask me or any other member here. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Without this site I am not so sure I would have been able to pull off this project!!
2001Stinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:31pm
Hey Big Pappa, your SN looks great. Wondering how you got the pieces to shine so nice? Also would it work to get them powdercoated with clear finish?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by 2001Stinger 2001Stinger wrote:

Hey Big Pappa, your SN looks great. Wondering how you got the pieces to shine so nice? Also would it work to get them powdercoated with clear finish?

Thanks!! I used a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I just took my time and went over the parts lightly until they were shiny again. If you press too hard or leave it in one place too long the wire will put a grain in the metal so keep it moving. It took me about 2 hours to do all the parts in the picture above plus the drain plug that I forgot to include in the picture.

As for the clear powder coat, it should work just fine. I am not going to worry with it I just wanted mine to be clean when I put it back together.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:27pm
I was able to get a good bit done on the boat last night. I started out by cutting the access hole, then gluing and screwing down (SS Screws) the support piece on the rear removable floor. Now just a little sanding and CPES then it will be time to Paint and carpet this piece.

Next my new SACHS damper plate came in yesterday so I decided to get to work on that. I was going to wait until today to do that but I thought it would be better in case I needed to ask any questions here. I am glad I did now.

Here is the inside of my trans. A little cleanup is in order!!

Here is the flywheel with the old damper plate still installed.

Old with the new

Cleaned up flywheel with the new damper.

Now a question for you all. Is this enough clearance? It looks like I need to trim some off to me. If I do need to trim some what is the best way to do so, and how much do I need to trim?

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:33pm
After getting everything done on the damper plate that I could I jumped over and CPESed the piece that goes over the engine cradle for the carpet to glue to. I also cpesed the new holes in the boat. The horizontal holes I coated good using a pipe cleaner the vertical holes in the stringer I completely filled so they would be sealed up good.

Next it was back in the boat and trimmed the carpet along the floor edge. Man does a good sharp carpet knife make a difference!!

After that I cut to length my carpet to go on the floor. Question on this do you all lay the carpet on the floor then cut out the rear center section or is it better to cut it big in the center then come back and trim it up tight?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:36pm
Leave it about 6" large in every direction if you can... it will move a little bit when you go to glue it down and dont want to short yourself. Dont leave TOO much excess though- that just makes it hard to work with.

I would trim that damper around the edges where it starts to overhang.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:39pm
Huh, did you order through Skidim or ebasicpower?

Tim and I were talking damper's yesterday and it seems what you ordered is the same as Skidim's damper for GM Small blocks.

Ebasicpower shows a 12" and 14" damper. Maybe we need a damper that will fit a 12" flywheel?

We just ordered yesterday so I'll be watching closely to see if we need to change our order.

Sorry if this is repetitive, thought I'd post in case others who are looking for this information.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Huh, did you order through Skidim or ebasicpower?

Tim and I were talking damper's yesterday and it seems what you ordered is the same as Skidim's damper for GM Small blocks.

Ebasicpower shows a 12" and 14" damper. Maybe we need a damper that will fit a 12" flywheel?

We just ordered yesterday so I'll be watching closely to see if we need to change our order.

Sorry if this is repetitive, thought I'd post in case others who are looking for this information.

I ordered the ebasicpower 14". From what I have read it is a universal plate for many applications and some times it does require a little trimming.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Leave it about 6" large in every direction if you can... it will move a little bit when you go to glue it down and dont want to short yourself. Dont leave TOO much excess though- that just makes it hard to work with.

I would trim that damper around the edges where it starts to overhang.

Thanks that is what I was thinking as well. I just wanted to get input from others who have installed carpet in these boats before.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:44pm
Great, I hadn't heard of anyone having to trim them down. Let us know how it goes, we'll be a day behind you on our install.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:50pm
I didnt have to trim the ebasic 14" damper I put on the Ski Tique, and I dont think it had to be trimmed for my sister's Mustang either. It fit the 454 just fine too...

Trimming is no problem though, and is sometimes required. If you look at the picture of the 12" you can see that its simply a trimmed down version of the 14". You can do it yourself and save $10.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 2:12pm
the dampner I got from ebasicpower was already trimmed on the end. I paid the 10 bucks extra. They are the same part as tim said.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 2:35pm
Hey everyone, well I had a huge weekend working on the boat and got a lot done. I am going to break it up into what I got done on each day so the posts will not be so long. Lets get started with Friday.

I started off with cleaning up the looks of the engine cradle. Basically I took a piece of 320 sand paper and ran over the cradle running the long way to give it a "Grain". It just cleaned up the looks a little. Here is a before and after.
Before

After

Next was trimming down the damper plate, this is how much I cut off.

And here it is back on the flywheel.

Once that was done I cleaned up the transmission and put it back on got the damper plate aligned and tightened down and called that part done.

Next it was time to install the engine cradle for good.

Then came the task of installing the carpet on the floor leaving about 6" - 12" unglued on the outside so I could put on the trim.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 2:53pm
Saturday I got started by cleaning up the rest of my carpet trim getting all the old glue and pieces of carpet removed. Then I hopped in the boat and trimmed the carpet down. Then I combined the carpet with the glue and let that set up for a while.

While I was letting the glue set on the trim I started putting the packing in on the rudder assembly and the drive shaft log. I used 3 3/16" wraps of the gortex cord on the drive shaft and left it pretty loose (Barely compressing the wraps). I will adjust this better once on the water.

I mis-read what I put down for the rudder packing and ordered 1/4" for that. First off, WOW, that stuff is huge!! I cut 2 rounds of the 1/4" and put it in the rudder assembly. (2 rounds of 1/4 = thickness of 4 rounds of the 3/16" that came out of it) I had to compress the width of the 1/4" a little to get the rudder in but it fits good now. I figure this should work for the rudder since there is not much motion going on there. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

After a little break I cam back down and glued down the carpet and trim.

Once finished with that I went back and trimmed up the carpet by the bilge and went around and "Sealed" the edges with a lighter.

Next I cleaned up the wiring harness, cleaning and inspecting each strand, replacing the old zip ties with new ones and eliminating the electrical tape wrap and replacing it with new zip ties.

Then it was time to start putting stuff in the boat. I ran the wiring harness and new speedo tubes up to the front and installed (With supre strength hot glue) the bilge pump. By this point it was about 1:30am so I took a shower and crashed!!
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 3:21pm
That brings us up to yesterday. I started out the day by cleaning up the pylon. With it sitting in the boat the majority of the time through the whole project it was all kinds of dinged up and had fiberglass on it and just was not looking so good.

I started by running over it lightly with 320 sand paper to remove the fiberglass. Sanding only in a side to side direction with the grain. Then I moved up to 400 to remove the 320 sanding and lessen the size of the grain, then a 600 grit wet sand. Here is the before and after, Pay no mind to the messy work bench.

Before

And After

Then it was time to get back to installing. I put in the pylon for the final time coating the base in anti seize just in case it needs to come back out some day.

Next I put in the drain plug with some 5200. Then it was on to putting in the strut and aligning it. I put a little oil on the cutlas bearings just so they would have a little lube while putting the drive shaft in/ out a couple of times then as it is spun in the boat for various things.

I ended up needing to put a washer under both the front bolts on the strut to get the drive shaft to line up in the log perfectly. Here is the drive shaft with no support.

And here it is brought up where the shaft moves and turns freely. Without the washer this point was almost touching the top of the log.

Next I put on the new hose and drive shaft packing assembly, put the drive shaft back in and tightened down the clamps.

At this point it was finally time... To drop the engine back in!!!

It went in as smoothly as I could hope for. The only thing is I wish my engine lift had about 6 more inches of reach on it. I had to move my motor mounts all the way in and push the engine over to get it to reach in enough to sit in the engine cradle then had to move the other side out to reach the engine cradle.

The engine is in the boat now that is all that matters. I have not been able to say that for years now and it feels good. I have a lot of adjustment to do as you can see in the picture below.

Now I have to finish sand blasting and painting my engine parts and get the engine all back together and wired up. I am shooting to hear it run late this week or early this weekend. Then maybe a lake test to check for leaks and such Sunday afternoon.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 3:24pm
So as you can see it was a huge weekend for me and I was able to get a lot accomplished. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and brighter and I can not wait to be having a great time in the sunshine on this project again soon!!!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 4:13pm
awesome progress. Keep it up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic