Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surfing/Ballast

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robesaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robesaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surfing/Ballast
    Posted: July-16-2008 at 6:44pm
We have a '90 Ski Nautique. I'm interested in water ballast for surfing. Has anyone done this successfully with an older Nautique? I don't want to swamp the boat, and I don't want to spend the money if the hull just won't produce a wake.

Any other tips? After trying surfing, it's all we want to do...
Rob.

1990 Ski Nautique.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 1:42am
Ballast so it leans to one side & drive in a slow turn. Watch your temp gauge - it really works the engine.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Z65P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z65P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:52am
I have a 1990 Nautique. We surf behind it on a regular basis. The ballast I use is as follows: I have two 33-gallon plastic storage tubs filled with water that sit in the back. I have no back seats. I use the tubs for storage when empty. I have a padded upholstered plywood board cut to match the shape of the tops of both tubs. The set up functions as a back seat and ballast. I use three 80 lb sand bags to fine tune the ballast.
When surfing, I put all three sand bags in the drivers corner of the rear and maintain a speed of about 9.5mph. This pushes up a nice wake with good surfable pocket. I have a Samson wakeboard tower. I use a short 15 foot rope with a 3 foot braid for an handle.
robesaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robesaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 3:48am
Wow thanks.

So will it produce enough wake to drop the rope?
Rob.

1990 Ski Nautique.
Z65P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z65P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:50pm
Yes, you can toss the rope back in the boat. Or let it trail along side and pick it up if you surf out of the pocket.
adamophoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamophoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 3:33am
1989 nautique 2001 with 400 lbs across the back seat, 400 lbs along the side of the engine you are surfing, and 3 people... I was able to let go of my rope first day ever trying to surf - on a 4'10" skim style wakesurfer. Still trying to go a distance, but felt pretty good once we moved a couple people around the seats. Havent really been on newer boats too much, but two of my passengers said it was a better wave than their friend's 06 centurion and 04 super air nautique of some sort... I was impressed! While driving, i turned away from the weight while picking up a rider, and brought a bunch of water over the rail, so remember to turn into the weight and hit your own wake at 90*, or peeps get wet...
can't wait to fine tune my weight though, i'm sure i can get a better wave
"When you like to boat, they call you a boating enthusiast. I like to boat, but I don't ever want to be referred to as a boating enthusiast, I hope they just call me a guy who likes to boat."
Mitch Hedberg RIP
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by robesaw robesaw wrote:

Any other tips?

Learn to ski better.
Move to the coast.
etc.
well you asked...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 11:25am
Another meathod...very adjustable!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
robesaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robesaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:23pm
OK, so now I hear that the intense pressure can be bad news for the prop shaft. What say you, experts?

I spoke with fat sacs and they say 2x750lb bags and drop the stern to the rubber line. That sounds very risky. I think I'll try one bag first.

We got ourselves a short rope and a surf board - definately a lot of work w/o the wake.

BTW - Vancouver is on the coast...
Rob.

1990 Ski Nautique.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:55pm
Wow, hard to believe this crowd didn't have a comment on that pic?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:31pm
Greg, no comment neccessary- its a Mastercraft. What else would you expect?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:02pm
BuffaloBFN, cool pic!

Sea-wall/surfing school
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, no comment neccessary- its a Mastercraft. What else would you expect?

Indeed Tim... indeed.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic