NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

76 Ski Tique Floor/Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Ski Tique Floor/Stringer Replacement
    Posted: December-18-2008 at 4:13pm
I have to replace the stringers and therefore the floor also in a 1976 Ski Tique I recently purchased. As a disclaimer, I am lazy by nature, I have a very limited budget for this project and I have no boat repair experience. Therefore, I am not trying to achieve and don't expect my results to compare to some of you guys awesome and thorough work. I don't want to do this again though and would like to do any maintenance and repairs that would be much easier while the boat is torn apart.

Here's a few pics of the floor, one main stringer is 90% rotted out, the other is ok. The secondary stringers are 50% rotted in the rear.

I've got a couple of questions, but I'll post those shortly. Any suggestions/comments/help are welcome. I really appreciate all the great info on this site, I wouldn't be able to do it without it.

Thanks in advance

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 4:38pm
Jeremy, Im glad youve decided to tackle the project. From what I can tell, it needs full stringer replacement pretty badly! Great move on taking out the motor and other hardware- that will make it much easier tow work on.

There have been several good structural threads on here over the last few years, so hopefully youve done (or will be doing) your research. No experience necessary- we were all beginners at one point!

Just FYI, being budget minded shouldnt adversely affect the repair- a shoddy job will cost just much as a good one (actually, a shoddy job will likely cost you more in the long run). Take your time and do it right the first time if you want it to last. Many here can point you in the right direction on good deals (like US Composites). Also, you can probably save some money if you decide not to refoam.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 5:41pm
one bit of advice on this one, there is nothing like factory glass, IF it were me i would keep the existing glass on the stringers, cut the rest of the top and remove all the wood and let dry thouroughly. slide your new wood (douglass fur) and use close to the existing curves and sawzall to shape, acid etch or acetone and scuff with 36 grit, fill with epoxy resin and set your wood and hold in place with temporary screws. then come back in and re-glass with 24 ounce woven. I use a planer to skim the top of the stringers until the wood is exposed. also if needed bye some cheap c-clamps and clamp the sides so the epoxy adheres.
Alot of times you do have to remove down to bare skin but in your case i think it would be beneficial to skim the tops and pull the wood
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 5:47pm
Sounds like more work than its worth, Eric. I just dont see how you'll get a good bond the second time around. Digging out the wood would be no fun at all either. Ive had good luck cutting the stringers off low, but not flush- leaving just enough to hold the new stringer in place while I glass it down.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 5:56pm
My first thought was about getting it supported VERY well before anything structural is removed(or what's left of it). The '1 stringer at a time' meathod may be in the books already.

Good luck and ask away.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 6:10pm
Greg, supporting the hull is a good practice- but there is a world of difference in the thickness and rigidity of the hulls when comparing a newer, larger boat (like my '90 SN or your BFN) and a smaller, older boat (like a Tique). It was probably a combination of the smaller size and thicker hull, but that Tique was solid.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 6:21pm
LMAO...why you be on my case today?!!? I just didn't want him to write back about a pancaked hull!    

I'll also admit that I sometimes overthink things, but then I think about how things can move...not good for glue-ups.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 6:23pm
Lazy by nature, his funds are low.
you mix up a half gallon and the only way its going is up. or resin the bottem set the wood then come back and pull the glass from the sides and pour and brush

I was basing my thoughts on his comments, not much experience either and if he cuts it all out he may have problems. I think the wood is so rotted in his boat that he isnt having any problems removing it from the glass. of couse i would set the boards first and cut them and then resin all sides and then grind so the new resin bites in. if done correctly in this manner it is a reliable and safe repair.....restore
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 7:08pm
Thanks guys. I've spent WAY too much time reading the website lately. Im gonna hit you with a bunch of questions right off the bat

The other stringer seems ok, I haven't dug in real deep, but if it is good would it be better to go ahead and remove and replace it?

Or would it be ok long term and easier on the wallet if I injected it with CPES and left it?

If I do remove it, should I carefully remove the good one FIRST so I can use it as a pattern? My concern would be A) support of the hull, the other stringer is already garbage. B) The good stringer is a reference point

Eric, I am kinda want to go that direction with my main stringers, if nothing else to have the original reference points, but I've tried digging out the stringer and it seems to be a real pain in the ass. I think Im at least going to have to remove one side to get it out. I want to leave the other side on as long as possible as a reference point.

Here's my plan as of now. It's constanly evolving the deeper I go but as an engineer by nature I must have a plan at all times.

Ive removed all foam around the outside secondary stringer (long one) I was going to build this one first as it seems to be the easiest and less important? Basically use this one for a bit of trial and error. Before I epoxy it in Im going to build the secondary system like skibum did. (Props to his website btw) Good idea?

I was going to cut the fiberglass off on each side about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the hull. Can I get the stringer out all the way with 1/2 inch of fiberglass up the sides? If I could get the stringer out and clean up the channel, I was going to fill the channel with epoxy mixed with West 404 filler, so I would have a 1/2 inch or so epoxy bed so keep from having to get the stringer so precise.

How much more of the bow foam do I need to remove to replace the main stringers in the front? The less foam I remove the less I have to replace $$. My foam was only wet on the bottom 1/4 inch, I was a little surprised consdering how bad the stringer was.

Im planning on replacing the foam, but I want to put 1/2" plywood floor in on top of the foam. That way the foam doesn't have to be perfect or structural. How about mixing cut up noodles and pourable foam in the cavities?

Alright guys, sorry for the book. Im in the process of making an autocad layout of the inside of the boat, I would like to have elevations of all the wood pieces that make up the bottom of the boat for my use and hopefully it will help someone in the future.
Thanks for all your help. It's greatly appreciated
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 7:19pm
I'll add a little to it. It's not a factory trailer. The bumpers, rails, whatever they are called support the back corners and run until the rails are basically below the stringers in the front.

It feels pretty solid. The stringer fiberglass skeleton gives it a lot of strength, even if just one side is left on it. I hope to leave one side on each stringer, I feel like that should give it enough strength combined with the strong, small hull of the Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 7:56pm
JD,
I'm completely with Tim on this one. You need a complete stringer replacement. If one stringer is "90%" rot, I guarantee the other one has started too. Don't try to save any wood. The risks are too great and since you have said you are lazy, you want to do the job once. I also agree with stripping the hull down to nothing. The time spent goofing around trying to save the factory glass isn't worth it. Eric, Don't you have a trans to go work on?? What makes you think the factory glass is better? Remember, the original will be polyester and not epoxy!

Roughly half of you material cost will be the foam. I'd leave it out. My Tique doesn't have any!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 8:13pm
JD,
Here's a picture from the PO of my Tique who did the re stringer:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 8:15pm
Apparently Pete and I are on the same page. I wouldnt refoam- especially if you want to put in a plywood floor. The next boat I do (another little 16 footer) will get the pool noodles. You can save some money by going this route. Dont skimp on the epoxy resin or fiberglass supplies!

I do think that keeping the bottom 1/2" of glass from the original stringers is a good idea. The original stringers were bed down with foam and glass, approx 1/4" thick. I left just enough of the originals to hold the new ones in place while I glassed them in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 8:37pm
Yes on the 1/2" of original glass on the stringers. Good for location reference.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 8:37pm
If I have to do one, I might as well do the other one, I don't think I would feel good about it anyway.

Can I get a consensus from you guys that since budget is a high priority (Like saving $500 dollars is the difference in having it in the water May 1st and July 1st priority) that not replacing the foam is the best way to save money and still do it right? I've seen lots of arguments on to foam or not to foam, but in the context of my question is it the best place to save money? Again, if I put the plywood in, therefore eliminating the structural floor requirements of the foam, could I mix in a filler such as chopped up noodles?

I have found the original diary for your boat Pete, that seems to be the best picture of a Tique structure I've found, do you guys have any more, I'd love to take a look at them. Tim, do you have any other pics than what's on your thread?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 8:39pm
I'll put my money on how this boat is going to be done, sometimes you have to read between the lines, and dont get a guy wrapped up in something he may not be comfortable with, JMO.
it sounds as if he wants to go boating and not get wrapped up in a 2 month ordeal. some guys are not capable of jumping into a boat and doing some of the repairs to that extent, Correct, you guy's are. if he is capable, God bless em, then do it that way, if not do a repair to make the boat safe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 9:11am
To foam or not to foam...how deep is the lake you'll be running in?!!?   

1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 10:59am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

To foam or not to foam...how deep is the lake you'll be running in?!!?   

Don't know- Can't even get my boat in the dry pond right now!

No foam in my skier. Don't want to know what is under the BFN!
Greg

86 BFN
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 1:29pm
If you put pool noodles inside the floor cavities and epoxy the wood down, wouldn't it still work?

What about putting foam in some of the cavities, say, the one outside of the secondary stringer on each side?

Does anybody know the rough weight of the boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by JDiggs JDiggs wrote:

If you put pool noodles inside the floor cavities and epoxy the wood down, wouldn't it still work?

What about putting foam in some of the cavities, say, the one outside of the secondary stringer on each side?

Does anybody know the rough weight of the boat?

The weight listed in our ref. section is 1600lbs.
Polyurethane 2lb foam will displace 60lbs. per cu. ft. I don't remember the weight of pool noodles off hand but there is a thread on it where Michelle (sanity) and I did the calculations from her weighing a pool noodle!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 1:51pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 2:47pm
Thanks. Well, that leaves me to question the effectiveness of the noodles for emergencies. That would be alot of pool noodles. However, there is alot of foam in the bow correct? Did find a closer source for my fir lumber out of that thread. I live east of birmingham, the closest I found was Pensacola before the place in GA out of the thread :)

I guess I need to freshen up on my physics for specific gravity and all that other brain splitting stuff, but in redneck terms: One of those big noodles will keep my fat ass afloat enough so I can still drink a beer and I weigh 200 lbs. So if I could get 6 of those in there, I'd have to get close.

If you cut them up and pack them down in the cavities, you woud get the added benefits of floatation and sound deadening right? No structural help, but with the plywood it wouldn't matter
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 2:47pm
why do we use foam again?
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 6:18pm
Why
Safety/floatation
Sound insulation
Structural support of the hull
Structural support of floor

Why not
Cost
Time & Labor
Chance of future waterlogging/rot issues

Here's my structural analysis of the problem, Im no expert at boat dynamics and structure, so please enlighten me if Im off track:

The hull only has to span between the stringers to prevent oil canning, this is 6" or so where the foam is located, however it already spans 20" between the main stringers on the inside, correct? I don't see why the hull would be thinner toward the outside.

I doubt the foam would add much strength to the overall hull. It may help with localized impact, but the 2lb foam does not have high bending stress resistance and I presume the bond to the stringer would not prevent the shear stress from seperating the foam from the stringer under high load conditions.

When the hull is stressed in the water, the bottom side of the stringer is in compression, bracing this side of the stringer is important to reduce the unbraced length which contributes euler buckling in beams. The foam does provide continuous lateral bracing support for the stringer, however, The bottom side is already continually braced by the hull thru the epoxy bond, therefore the unbraced length is 0 and no strength reduction. Also, the shear strength of the epoxy bond to the hull and stringer should be high enough to resist the shear loads under bending, therefore a section of the hull on each side of the stringer should act compositely with the stringer as a upside down T section to resist the bending stresses along the length of the hull.

As a basic analogy, if you filled a steel tube with foam, the foam does not contribute to the bending strength of the tube.

For these reasons I feel the foam is redundant in regards to strengthening the hull.

Is it safe to assume that a chopped up noodle fill in sealed cavities would provide safety flotation value and sound deadening properties while being much easier on the budget and reduces labor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 7:44pm
if its for structure, then why do big yachts that need structural support not have it?
your on the right track though, what happens to the psi of water on the hull with the boat in the water?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 7:48pm
BTW, in case of an emergency, shouldnt you have life vests on the boat?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2008 at 10:46pm
JDiggs - Great analysis. Wouldn't it be great if someone could model a CC in CAD & run a FEA (Computerized stress/strain simulation)? Then we would know exactly where the weak spots are!

Any college students out there looking for a project?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 2:20am
Finite Element Analysis. Now that's what Im talking about. I work with mostly 2D models and linear 3D models for analysis. Programs such as solidworks and some other mechanical modeling programs could probably do it. I'll see if I can import my cad model and put some depth to it and see what I come up with.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2008 at 11:49am
JD - That would be a really cool addition to this site's library. My company has the software but it would be totally against policy to use it for something personal. Not that I know how to do a FEA in the 1st place.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 3:34pm
Hadn't been able to work much lately between holidays, rain, and sickness. BTW, I envy you guys with the nice big and warm shops/garages. Doing the work in your driveway under an oak tree has it's drawbacks.

I have gotten the foam & secondary stringers removed from one side. Im working on cutting out the "good" stringer on the other side now to use as a template. Half of the secondary came out in one piece. I will use the existing floor at the hull and the top of the main stringer to get the other measurements I need

Looking at the secondary stringer channel. I plan to clean and sand the area and grind the channels down a little better.

Planning on removing the outside vertical glass of the main stringer to remove the remnants of the main stringer shown in the pic. Ok to leave one side of the original glass?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic