NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 10111213>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:22pm
Michelle, good to have you back!

Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Lesson learned is use the solid gel first for coverage if there are any repair areas. Hmmm, so that means a few more coats of gel. One coat of solid white and then my Yuckytan over? Or two to three more coats of the yuckytan? Thought about trying to match yuckytan using the white base, but that's not going to work.

You'll have to refresh my memory... is it correct to assume that the yucatan gel was tinted using a clear base?

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:25pm
They make a yellow primer but yellow gell will work the same.You could also double up on your pigment and spray the whole boat again.If you do respray the entire boat a good longblocking of the previous gell will greatly improve you final finish.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:27pm
Hi Tim, Hope you are well! Yes. The only way to get the yuckytan yellow is to use the clear base. It's almost a buff clear if I try to describe. Putting a coat of anything solid has me a little concerned. It looks beautiful except for where the repairs are.

Eric, we aren't playing too well. :(
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:32pm
just bustin your chops Michelle, i am fully aware that they lost 4 in a row...thats not like the Steeler's.
I really dont know if all watch tommorow, im in the town of dis-apointment for sure, ive switched to B-Ball
"the things you own will start to own you"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:33pm
Think I can spot gel the area's where needed?
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:34pm
I know you were Eric.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 1:25pm
Michelle - You are the customer here, just satisfy yourself. I would just blend in a repair, no one will ever notice it unless you point it out!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 1:35pm
Where is the bad area?If its on the bottom I wouldn't think twice.blending on the side of the boat however is a bit of a artform.I remember seeing some materials to blend a burn line on one of the gell sites but I can't recall it.Your gellcoat is new though which helps a bunch doing repairs.

Also if the boat is going to have stripes or logo's you can use them to hide a blend line.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 3:12pm

This little mustang will - I repeat - will get done. Definitley not on the timeline I wished for and definitley not as easily as planned OR as cost effective. If you knew me, you would know that I can't seem to find the clear path in life. I tend to think I choose the paths I need to clear so I can learn something new every day and help to clear the paths for those behind me. Good to be back!!! I missed you all!
Chelle'

Welcome to the real world. Its a hobby project, once you accept the fact that it will get finished as time and money present themselves you will be just fine. I usually have 3 or so projects going at a time after work. I think im the one with A.D.D. sometimes, not my kids.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 10:24pm
Well said Sean. :) I want to see the Mustang in the water though, not in the garage.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 10:51pm
I'm with you chelle, I'v been staring at the bottom of Lauri's chris way to long. Its high time to flip it and start on the fun side and head for the water. I started on this 3 years ago for a surprise anniversary present. It grew from a simple repair to a total restoration. Life happens.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 10:01pm
Hey Guys!!!! Guess what!!! I'm in shock! Johnny gave me a birthday/Christmas present today. Growing up, those usually sucked. This one is yuckytan yellow though!
Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 10:05pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 11:07pm
It's good to have 2 'stangs
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 11:08pm
Michelle,
Cant tell, You got a trailer hitch on that?!

Very nice !!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 11:16pm
And they match! Hmmm...would it pull it?
wow...we have issues don't we? lol....
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 11:57pm
Yes we do have issues...now you need a black bimini to match!
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 3:40am

Hey Guys!!!! Guess what!!! I'm in shock! Johnny gave me a birthday/Christmas present today. Growing up, those usually sucked. This one is yuckytan yellow though!
Chelle'

I guess this IS getting serious with you two?
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 9:44am
How about black beading on the seats? That's my plan anyway. I don't like bimini's.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 10:30am
black? yellow? are you having Steelers withdrawel..i was very surprised this morning
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 10:49am
Nice! I bought my wife a Black rolled over'90 drop top mustang GT back when we got married. Fixed it and got her out of the Lynx she had. I have a thing for Blondes in black cars though...

I suppose its a family thing, my mom drives a shelby convertable...

Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 11:09am
Eric, I am disappointed, but not surprised. It's OK.
Sean, if you had as many things as we do to keep clean, you would appreciate the yellow vs. black.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 11:37am
I am a collector Michelle, I know... I still have my first black car.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 11:41am
Sean, I suppose I am a collector of "something" now. lol Black is beautiful when all shined up! Do you show?
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 12:16pm
I used to. I got tired of every "expert" coming buy and telling me why I had the wrong bolts in the fuel pump, non stock motors in my street rods etc... I quit showing a few years ago and just do some curise ins and went back to Racing and building things I like.

Your getting good with the fiberglass and gel, you could slip over and help us out with 2 glass bodied cars Im building in the shop. Building a 66 shelby cobra with an 04 mustang cobra donor car and a Fiberglass VW "speed buggy" right now.

I build buildings for a living, my office looks like a car dealership from the front with finished cars in the showroom right now...
Boat Pics
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's good to have 2 'stangs

Indeed, it is!!

Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

Nice! I have a thing for Blondes in black cars though...   

Me too.

Happy Birthday Chelle !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 12:56pm

Warning, hair band Video... Blondes in Black cars...

Kind of dates me huh?

Video
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 1:24pm
Sean, what is it they say? Practice makes perfect.You know, I am pretty good! LOL
Mike & Sean....what's wrong with blondes in blonde cars?
Not yet, Mike. Johnny has a hard time keeping secrets. haha We go backwards after this one.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 3:52pm

Mike & Sean....what's wrong with blondes in blonde cars?

Abolutly nothing wrong with it! When I say I have a "thing" I mean a preferance not a problem with it...
Boat Pics
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 4:00pm
Blondes go good in anything.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 10111213>
  Share Topic