Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 13>
Author
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 3:54pm
Sanity- mattresses are a terific idea. I will try the local thrift store or Mattress Store when I'm ready.
It beats my idea of rolling it in a snowdriftLOL.
I would suggest you take lots of pictures when you flip it. Much easier on your back to be the photographer rather than the grunt! Did you get the "color photos to order the gel?
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:45pm
Hi Doug,

I agree, the mattress idea is a good one. I learn something everyday on this site!

I think maybe Don has had too much Christmas and New Year cheer. Haven't seen him or his camera yet. I'm sure he'll be over soon. Can't push too hard when it's a free favor. Just scheduled the flip for this coming weekend. I'll call and let him know because I'm sure he'll want to be here before the buffed area is on the bottom.

LOL. I have to chuckle because the walls in my garage are yuckytan yellow. I could send in a piece of drywall.

Tonight, I will cover all of the instruments with plastic and tape. And I've been thinking...I might go out back in the warehouse and see if I can locate a couple of wheels with brakes. I bet it would be easy to construct a movable platform to set the boat on. I don't have much time...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Hey Steve,

Beautiful boat!

Is the rear seat attached to the hull top and bottom? Is there a wood strip anywhere to hold it secure?

Yes, the rub rail surprised me. I have a polishing kit for my Dremel and I know it's small, but I want to try it out this week. I stripped the red paint off of everything else too and it's all ready to shine.

Michelle

Thanks for the compliment on the boat...

As for the seats, The bases of the seats are one piece fiberglass...kinda in the shape of an old Dairy Queen bench.

The seat bottoms were glued to the bases.

The seat backs have 1/4" plywood backers behind the foam that extend down about 3" below what you can see of the upholstry. This extension tucks behind the bottom cushion and holds the bottom of the back in place.

There is a "flap" at the top of the backs, that originally would have the snaps, but now hide the velcro. This holds the top portion of the cushions in place, but still are easily removed to gain access to the gas tank area. Hope this makes sense?

As for polishing the rail, you might start with the wadding and chrome polish by hand and use an old white sock to buff it out. You may be surprised at these results.
Power buffing is definately quicker, but also can be messier. Plus you might need a larger pad than most dremels would have.

Make sure the rail is away from anything else when buffing it .. the black slurry from this process isnt fun to get off of most items...plus power buffing can sling it all over.

btw, what did you send in for the gelcoat color match?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 11:53pm

Steve, If you only knew how nervous I am about this. Mattresses are a great idea! I don't believe I have any contacts to be able to beg, borrow or steal even used ones though. Old tires covered with blankets crossed my mind to lean and roll the boat on while turning over.

I'm a little more concerned about flipping back when we're done gel coating. One scratch and I know I'm going to cry.

I understand your concern....

I had spent over three months of time ...just stripping the hull down to bare wood. Add to that the time to apply the filler/stain and 9 coats of varnish. I can tell you I was more than a little nervous.

Make sure you take your time and have plenty of strong backs to lift and eyes to watch whats going on from all sides.

As for the mattresses,Check with any of the area furniture stores.... most of the old one get tossed in the dumpster around here... heck, they told me to not even bring them back if I wanted to keep them.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 11:51am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Hope this makes sense?

btw, what did you send in for the gelcoat color match?

It's beginning to make sense. The cushions, I'm assuming were redone. There is not a flap that joins to the snaps. They are glued to the base, as well as the back. I haven't torn it apart yet. I pulled it out and tried to figure out how it was installed in the boat. The upholstry (believe it or not) is tan that has been painted - yes, painted black. On the top back of the seat there is a trace of wood approx 2", where it looks glued on. It looks like it was pulled off of "something" and a bit of wood came with it.There is black carpet still attached to the bottom of the seat. Disect time!

As for the color match, not yet. I have a call in to Don, the guy that is bringing his fancy camera and told him our plans to flip the boat this weekend. Too much holiday cheer? We still have to strip the bottom and I'm sure there will be a few minor repairs.

I'm excited and anxious about too many things. I feel like everything from here on in will be something that "stays" and it's uphill now!

I have been just about every color since I started the boat - red, white, black, clear...

I finished the rails up with 240 wet, used the wadding and the turtle wax that you recommended. I must be anal because I still want to buff them more.

Lastnight, I did a little more glassing on the stringers. Just a few areas that were tugging at me. See, anal. And I do enjoy doing fiberglass work. Everyone else thinks it's horrible. Maybe I like the tedius things.

I believe I have the mattresses covered. I put the word out yesterday. Everything is coming together.

Michelle
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 12:02pm

I finished the rails up with 240 wet, used the wadding and the turtle wax that you recommended. I must be anal because I still want to buff them more.

Michelle

Michelle,
Don't get too carried away! Remember the original would have simply a "mill" finish which is sort of a "brushed" finish and certainly not a mirrored/chrome. Just need to keep you on the "original" track here!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle,
Don't get too carried away! Remember the original would have simply a "mill" finish which is sort of a "brushed" finish and certainly not a mirrored/chrome. Just need to keep you on the "original" track here!

Good Morning, Pete! Speaking of chrome, is there anywhere recommended that I can send ex. dogbox handle to have rechromed?

Chelle'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 12:50pm
Michelle,
you might try going to some 400 grit paper before buffing.(if you still want it "shinyer" work from the 400 to 600) You can power-buff those things and get a mirror finish, but they will tend to be a pain to keep up.

Like Pete says, "brushed" is good.

as for chrome..look in your local yellow pages. I have a place in our town that is pretty reasonable if you cant find anyone.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 1:31pm

Good Morning, Pete! Speaking of chrome, is there anywhere recommended that I can send ex. dogbox handle to have rechromed?

Michelle, I havent priced out rechroming- but its my understanding that its very expensive. Ive found that *most* of the hardware on these boats (both old and new) is generic and can be found online or at West Marine. Bow lights, cleats, handles, hinges, gas fills, etc. can all be found for relatively cheap.

This one looks close- compare it to what youve got and see if you can match them up.

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 7:46pm
Yes, that does look like it. And I found and called a Paul's Chrome Plating in Evans City, PA which is not too far at all from me. He gave me a rough estimate of 65.00 for the handle alone. Yep, generic might just work. Thanks, Tim.

If anyone does need a contact and is shopping around to have something re-chromed the number for Paul's is 724.538.3367. He also said it would be more cost effective to buy new. They do alot of "show chrome". They have a web site too.

Chelle'
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 4:40pm
Mattresses lined up. Men lined up. Boat flip scheduled for 11 tomorrow.

Beer in cooler, pulled pork all ready for lunch.

6" of snow coming beginning tonight
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 7:49pm
Sanity, if i only knew how to quote.....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 7:57pm
She's really been serving some good ones up, but I'm not sure she's ready for it yet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 8:07pm
Hollywood, what would you do with the pulled pork comment, sanity keep in mind that we are men and the statistics say we think about it every 30 seconds....its rough being a man
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 8:12pm
This is what I would do with it. Keep in mind I never add text, simply delete or replace with asterisks.

Mattresses lined up. Men lined up. f*** scheduled for 11 tomorrow.

Beer in cooler, pulled pork all 6" coming tonight

Is she crying because it is only 6"???
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 8:27pm

Mattresses lined up. Men lined up. Flip. Scheduled for 11 more tomorrow.

Beer in cooler, pulled pork already for lunch.

6 coming tonight

Talk about teeing it up for everyone. And your husband is in Guam? Booked on the next flight back, I bet.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 9:53pm
Pulled pork with a good bark on it from a smoker? Beer and pulled pork sammies- it doesn't get much better than that.
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 6:37pm
One boat flipped and no casualties! The mattress worked great. The boat is flipped over on a padded platform we made and it has wheels on it. I'll post pictures on Monday. Could have done without the snow.

Eric, Hollywood, Wakeslayer...no, your comments don't bother me. They are actually humorous. But keep in mind that those who post on public sites like that are the one's lacking in that department. In one way or another. And we ALL know who you are now!

h20loo (Doug) I wish I had a smoker, but I don't. I slow cooked a fresh ham all night. I cut slits through the skin and put garlic in it, then poured white wine and crumbled basil leaves over. I pulled it this morning and put it in a crockpot with bbq. It was delicious.

BTW....Blink is home from Guam.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 7:51pm

Hollywood... But keep in mind that those who post on public sites like that are the one's lacking in that department.

I love it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Sanity, if i only knew how to quote.....

I thought since she's a girl it was "hands off" on her posts.

But I gotta agree HW...she's been serving them up.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 4:08am

BTW....Blink is home from Guam.

Good to hear that Blink is home.

Sanity, you sound like you know your way around good food in addition to your boat. That is awesome. My wife is a goddess in the cuisine arena. She just leaves the boat stuff to me cause I love it. Believe me, no lacking in any department in this home, on either side of the boatshop.

M

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 12:04pm
we have to keep the entertainment value up on the site, that was a hard one to pass up on, I think she's a trooper and can handle it....she jabbed back....all in fun
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 1:07pm
Eric, All in fun...yes, I'm a trooper.

Although I think I may have offended Hollywood.

Wakeslayer, I love to cook and bake. Blink is a wonderful cook too. He has quite a few specialties. One of my favories is his salmon with orange sauce.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 1:48pm
That was the "the Holy Grail" of topics ever posted. HW is a big boy we know he can handle it...its my sensitive feelings.
something you didnt know, It was Pittsburgh culinary or Ohio Diesel tech you can guess which way i went....but if I had the same choice today....I would be a flaming chef lol
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 2:10pm
That's the great thing about Blink. He's an AP mechanic, a crew chief in tha AF and a wonderful cook. There's still hope for you Eric.

I hear the Pgh Culinary is giving huge cuts right now for enrollment due to the economy. And CCAC has free enrollment in several courses, most health related, for those in our area that have been laid off.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 2:22pm
I go stir crazy on winter days, so cooking all day helps, I'll make 5 gallons of chicken soup and give it to all of my neighbors, or clam chowder...you guy's get alot of snow too?
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I go stir crazy on winter days, so cooking all day helps, I'll make 5 gallons of chicken soup and give it to all of my neighbors, or clam chowder...you guy's get alot of snow too?

No pictures- DIDN'T Happen!!!

Sanity- mentioning pulled pork inspired me...

Finished at 12:30 this morning. My wife is making creamy coleslaw while I consider an afternoon nap!
70 Mustang project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 3:25pm
are you inviting us over?
that looks like a good Sunday meal...
in the summer I'll take a shoulder, wrap it in bacon and slow cook it on the grill, were half way there!!!!!I can smell spring!!!!!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 4:28pm
I'm not cooking today! Leaving to watch the Steeler Game. Buffalo shrimp and wings!

h20loo...that looks great!

Eric, good job on making the soup and sharing!

Have a great evening guys...till tomorrow!

Go Steelers!

Michelle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 8:44pm
We have been on an Asian food kick since we were in SE Asia a year ago. Predominantly, Thai, but some Cambodian and Chinese too. Not the weird stuff though. We make our own Thai curries and such from scratch.
I am the homemade spag and meatball master. I make 2.5 gallon batches 3-4 time a winter. Start and 6am and take it off the stove at midnight to cool overnight.

Damn. I am hungry.

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 13>
  Share Topic