NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake ice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake ice
    Posted: March-06-2009 at 11:51am
I noticed that Mike (WakeSlayer) mentioned he's still got plenty of ice up in Minnesota. We've still got plenty up in Wisconsin too. Here's some pictures of Charlie's (brady) boathouse/pier project (new pilings and decking) last week.

Overview

new pilings being offloaded these are the short (20') ones for the pier. The boathouse are 30's. The pilings that are pointed are the old jetted in piles that were pulled from the old dock.

Driving piles - oops, got a cable snagged!

boathouse being moved back onto new pilings

cribing used to roll boathouse to side

Barge and truck cranes

Looks like a good one for the "Megamovers" except, this work is being done is with a two man crew - a 79 year old with a 24 year old helper!! (and with Charlie's part time help)

Billy, you can't do this in LA.!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:09pm
I knew there had to be at least one good thing for a frozen surface. So how hard is the lake bed if the lake is frozen? And is the barge there until the spring thaw? It appears to be on the ice.
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:47pm
bj,
In shallower water the lake will freeze to the lake bottom and then the lake bottom will freeze similar to being on dry land. The frost depth up there is about 3 - 3&1/2 feet so if you have 2 feet of ice to the lake bottom then the soil below the ice will freeze down another 1 - 1&1/2 feet. In deeper water say over the 2 feet of ice in depth then you will have liquid water and unfrozen lake bottom below it. It stays unfrozen due to the warmer water in the deeper water.

In the one picture showing the pile driver, you'll see the steam generator they have been using to get through most of the ice and frozen soil. That, jackhammers and chainsaws are used to open up the spot where a pile is driven.

The barge is actually frozen into the lake. They brought it in and moored it there in the fall. You'll notice the shore side is higher because it's sitting on the lake bottom. They got the barge there before the full winter draw down on the lake water level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 11:46pm
Pete,
What lake is that on?/ is that where your at?

pretty cool pics!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 11:48pm
Wow, thats awesome and quite a project. Beatiful boat house too. Can't do that in Indiana either!
Thanks for the pictures!

Our lake is starting to open up here. been in the 50's. A few more days and we should be good to go!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 10:03am
Steve,
Our boathouse is on Laurel Lake, the next lake east of Pete.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 10:21am
Steve,
Not the same lake but the same chain. Charlie is one lake over from me. It's the Three Lakes side of the Eagle River - Three Lakes chain. There's a dam between with a boat lift to take you from one side to the other. 20 lakes on our side and 8 on the Eagle side. The lakes average between 180 to 1800 acres each - always calm water someplace. With one exception, you can boat all the lakes. It's not a reservoir so lake levels are consistent even during dry times and they can't pull it down like Lake Lanier!

Steve, (86)
Yes, it's been quite a number of years (at least 50) since wet boathouses have been permitted in Wisconsin. The DNR mentality is "back to nature" wanting a natural shore line. Under normal rules, a boathouse on the water (DNR governed) you are only allowed to put in 50% of the appraised value on repairs and maintenance over it's lifetime! They (DNR) would rather see them fall in the lake and then force you to remove it! Charlie has gotten around that by going though the long process of having his boathouse declared state historical site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 10:45am
Pete,
It's a good thing Don's not a computer guy! He is closer to your age. He just looked 79 after being sick almost all of January.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete,
It's a good thing Don's not a computer guy! He is closer to your age. He just looked 79 after being sick almost all of January.

I thought you told me he was in his late 70's!! What do you mean "closer to my age"? Don't you mean closer to our age??!!

Well anyway, it's a older person with a helper. Lots different than a "Megamovers" crew!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 11:14am
What an awesome setting that must be, just a dream for most of us. Charlie, I remember meeting you in Green lake last year but don't recall what you have for boats? What do you keep in that georgeous boathouse?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 12:45pm
Alan,

Yes we did meet at Green Lake, (hope to see you there again this summer). I have owned a 69 Barracuda since 1983 and it normally resides in the right-hand slip on chain falls. There is also a Sea Nymph aluminum fishing bout with a 25 Hp outboard, and a 16 Ft Crestliner with a 88 Hp outboard. In order to empty out the Boathouse for the restoration I had to find an alternate storage spot for the Barracuda, much to Pete's and my surprise it fit on his Tique trailer and is now parked in another friends garage. I have never had the boat on a trailer! My younger sister has been nosing around for a 93 or later used Nautique, so maybe the CC collection will grow.   My parents bought the place in 1953, and although my wife and I now own it, it is still very much a family place. My 91 year old mother will be spending a chunk of the summer, her 56th in a row!
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:52pm
Being able to spend younger days of my life up north sure provides me with lots of great memories of that boathouse. Chuck and I had lots of fun like hooking up the model T spark coil to the upstairs screen door handle. That of course was until we zapped someones dad! Chuck, who was that? My dad? Then there were the trap doors we built. One of them is in a section of the second story staircase. About 3 steps and risers hinge up so we could go from the first floor slips to the second floor without running around the outside. In later years there were plenty of parties upstairs. I think the whole group keep a good portion of the Rhinelander brewery going.

I'd like to add that the new pilings and decking is only the first step in the restoration. A new roof will be going on next week. Then there's the siding, windows and door repairs including the slip sliding doors. Charlie is hunting down the siding now and hopefully will find the same "drop" profile without having to have it custom milled. The very bottom row and in some places two rows need replacing. Siding vertical corner boards are pretty bad at the bottoms too. Last will be a paint job. With a on the water boathouse this is typically done just before ice out so the ladders can be placed on the ice. Daytime temps are usually high enough that you can still paint with a latex.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:58pm
Pete, we want to hear about Emmy Lou up in the boathouse lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Oh, the sikness?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:20pm
I was thinking earlier when I posted that, I'm sure if that old boat house could talk it would have alot of stories to tell. LOL

Congrats to Charlie for getting it declared a state historical site!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 2:29pm
Dont worry Pete, when older Emmy lou got me above her garage i didnt know what to do either
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:07pm
Eric,
There are in fact quite a few stories, but since Pete is keeping quiet, I guess I should to!

86 BFN
Thanks, it has been a long process but there is light at the end of the tunnel. We are now considered a National Historic Landmark
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Well Eric, I can honestly say there wasn't a Emmy Lou in my life and a connection with the second floor of the boathouse! There certainly were other people and I do seem to remember a story about Charlie! The opportunities were there at times but most of the time there was always plenty of people and activity going on. The second story was a guest overflow for the house so there is a double bed and two twins up there!

One of the other pastimes was jumping or diving out of the second story windows.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:19pm
actually the girl that got me was known as packrat, I'll leave it at that
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:41pm
Someone needs to decide on something productive to do for the day! LMAO

And before you say it, I have a pine tree almost burned up and out of my way.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I've been waiting for some CPES to kick so I can continue with cutting/fitting the compound curve/bevel on the hull sides of the new spray rails I'm making for my X.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Just came in for lunch, had to check out ccf ...

Just got done putting a water pump on my old backhoe, now getting ready to clean shop. Who knows, maybe get time to start building the 283 for the Higgins later today or tomorrow?

BTW Pete,they have to move the boat house because of needing new pilings?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 4:05pm
Steve
The Boathouse, house and garage were moved across the lake in the winter of 48/49. At that time the boathouse was set on jetted norway pine piles which have deteriorated over time, also the shore side piles, which are exposed to ground frost have heaved over the years and been pushed back. I have been working on it over the years, but it was time for a complete redo. It will now be sitting on 31 30ft. treated southern yellow pine piles which are driven much deeper than the old ones, and should last much longer.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 4:31pm
Charlie,
How far are you and Pete from Eagle Lake? We are planning to be there the last week of May..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 4:48pm
Steve,
Are you going to Eagle lake in Eagle River, thats only about 10 to 15 miles away. Also if your visit corresponds with Memorial day weekend, I'm sure to be up there and Pete is usually there on the holiday weekend. Are you bringing a boat? Where exactly are you staying?
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 4:57pm
Steve,
Eagle Lake in Racine county? If so, about 275 miles. It's just over the border and so close, I'm not to sure I'd even call it Wisconsin. BTW, CQ isn't that far from Eagle Lake. What are you doing there?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 5:02pm
Just checked dates, looks like we will be there the week before Memorial weekend... something like 23rd thru 29th.

Not sure where we are actually staying, my daughter and son-in-law are treating us for all the times we've helped work on their house in M.waukee. Is there a Treehouse resort? I'm pretty sure it is in the Eagle River area, and I think on Eagle Lake. And yes, I am planning to bring one of my boats...probably the 64 'Skier.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Steve
The Boathouse, house and garage were moved across the lake in the winter of 48/49.

This is another interesting story! The original owner of the 3 buildings belonged to a condo type club started at the turn of the century by mostly Chicago Northwestern railroad execs. The land was common (still is) but each member had title to his buildings. Well, this member got "blackballed" from the club (politics that to this day are always a problem!!). The other members thought they were forcing the sale of the 3 buildings. Well, he outsmarted them, hired a house mover and they pulled the buildings across the ice with teams of horses! I guess they figured horses could swim and or were expendable more than a truck!! Really, the way I understand it, horses with ice cleats on their hoofs have lots more traction than chaining up truck tires!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 5:27pm
Steve,
Ok, you'll be at Tree house village of Lake Forest. It's a relatively new time share resort in Eagle River.

Keep me posted when you're confirmed. I'll be up the memorial weekend getting all the boats in for the summer. Love to see you and Pam especially since you have the GL problem this year.

The trip by water over the dam onto the Three Lakes chain (lots more water) would be a interesting day trip for you. However, there may be a problem. There is talk about Three Lakes closing down the channel from the dam to the first lake to boats. The Eagle side which is lower has a problem with AIS and we (Three Lakes) do not want it up on our end. Shutting down the channel would stop one potential source.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 5:40pm
Steve,
Even if the lift is closed, and Im not sure that it will be, you would want to trailer to the upper chain, as it's bigger and more interesting boating! And as a special treat you may get a ride in Petes Rinker.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic