Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Ski Around the Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Ski Around the Boat
    Posted: March-22-2009 at 1:23am
This is a trick that many specators enjoy seeing during ski shows. Teams today send not only one, but multiple skiers around the boat at one time and sometimes coming in from opposite directions. This post helps Correct Craft Fan members understand what needs to take place between the skier and boat driver in completing this trick! This is how we complete the trick with a 1983 Ski Nautique. Included are some items that we use to get the job done!

We have a "C" hook that has been attached to the center pylon. We use the "C" hook for added height and for quick hot pick ups for other acts during a ski show. We found out that the knot in the ski rope needs to be as tight as possible when doing this trick. It is possible for the rope to come off the "C" hook. We also added a "steering tractor knob" to the steering wheel to help with the tight turns. Also needed is a 60 foot ski rope with a good wide handle for pulling. Last it is a good idea to have a helmet, wetsuit and a good flat ski for the skier. We use a bright orange wooden jump ski.

Picture of the "C" Hook

Picture of the Steering Tractor Knob

Picture #1 shows a hop dock to start the trick. The boat pulls out a constant speed and at the point of about three feet of rope left the boat does a gradual pull out. When I see the ski hit the water, I give a little more throttle and progress to 25 mph to find a spot on the lake to do the trick. We do the hop dock to help keep the skiers gloves and handle as dry as possible for a tight baseball grip.

Photo #2
I wait for my skier to cross over the left wake and use that as a signal that the skier is ready. I then take notice of any boat traffic or fishing boats that are anchored within the area of performing the trick. If it is not a clear area we try to find another spot and continue at 25 mph speed. Safety is the name of the game! If the area is clear I increase my speed to 33 and nod my head up and down to signal the skier to start a hard cut away from the boat. At this point I also increase the speed to 36 mph and begin a quick turn to the right.

Photo #3
The turn to the right helps wip the skier away from the boat. The skier at this point must have a very tight rope and needs to continue to cut hard to the left. The skier needs to keep his body low with the ski on edge and remembering to keep his arms in towrds the body.

Photo #4

This is where the steering knob is most needed. At this point I now need to pull the throttle to neutral and turn hard to the left as the skier is circling in front of me now! The skiers rope begins to clear over the windshield frame. To keep the rope tight, the skier needs to continue to pull away from the boat and keep the hands in tight to the body. The driver must remember to duck his head towards the windshield as low as possible while the rope goes across the windshield frame. Before doing this trick I slide my drivers roto cast seat as far forward as I can with enough room to turn the steering wheel. The roto cast seat is a must so that the driver does not slip out of the seat. The old bench style drivers seat would be a problem!   

Photo#5

The trick is now almost completed! The skier continues to edge while keeping a tight rope. The driver now begins to increase throttle speed and make a slow progressive turn to the right. If the trick was done correctly the skier never gets water above the knees. The water should be somewhere between the ankle and the knee! Sometimes the skier can help by pulling in on the rope and standing up. The only thing left for the skier to do is ride out the wakes from the tow boat. That is what we do and have been told to throw this trick starting from the left side and not the right because of the clockwise rotation of the prop. The most completed ski around the boats that we ever did was twelve in a row! The water conditions have a huge impact on the success of doing that many in a row. The driver is myself and the skier is my son (skierox) also a member here at CCF. I hope that you enjoy my post!

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 11:43am
I've seen that done with a pylon taller than the windshield. We call that "tractor knob" a knuckle breaker.
Tim D
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 12:08pm
I love the oven-mitt interior of that era of SN. They need to bring that back, big time. It's outstanding. Also, how about that speedo de-clogger? Never even heard of that!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 12:55pm
Nice illustrations Paul. Brings back old memories.
83Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 3:19pm
M3Fan, the speedo de-cloggers were sold for a few years as advertised in the water ski magazines in the mid to late 1980s! The cost was around $85.00 per unit. We got a better deal because of it being used for shows! During the ski show it was vital to have correct speed for all the different acts! It works as a small air compressor that shoots air through the tubes to blow off any object that has clogged the path to the speedo such as weeds. Sometimes you would have to press the de-clogger many times to clear the path. It seemed to work best while turming the boat. You would not believe how many acts cannot be performed if the speed is even off by 1/2 mph. This was really true for the swivel and trick skiers! This was all that was available at the time and was well worth the money! Today with all the increased technology this really isn't a necessity with the development of the gps systems. For the airguide speedo's this was great! The airguide provides instant readings without averaging. The boat will be at Green Lake this year for our first visit as CCF fans!   
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 11:27pm
P B
Check this out

Pyramid ATB

This is a trick that our team pulled off last year at Nationals. the judges did not know how to score it.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:50am
Very cool tull. First time I've seen that.

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 1:41pm
I have never seen that before. Having a pyramid go around the boat that smoothly must be really tricky to complete. What point value did the judges decide on and who was the team that completes this cool trick!

Thanks for adding to the post!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 8:11pm
Here is another example of Ski Around The Boat provided by Water Ski Magazine using a mid 90's Ski Nautique.

phickman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 1:51am
Great article on art the ski around, in East TN the steering knob is known as a "Suicide Ball" or a "Neckin' Knob"
Paul Hickman
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 3:21pm
Wow great stuff guys. I love this site more and more everyday!!!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 3:39pm
Pauly is great to have you here on the site!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 5:16pm
I really appreciate the comments! I hope to meet many of you in person at the reunion this summer in Green Lake, Wisconsin!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 4:23pm
We use to do the ATB with three slalom skiers. The strongest one would cut hard enough to push the others. It was an early 70's SN with the pylon higher than the windshield. Later years it was done with two guys on jumpers and the opposite direction way. The trick is most impressive if viewed from the right angle.
waterskier2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 4:51pm
what our driver does for the ATB is he has a bundle of washers at the middle of the c hook that are taped to the hook so the rope doesnt slip up over the hook.
-Brendan Kirchner
Glass is made to be shattered

85BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:00am
don't know why I forgot to mention this but...when Pati and I first got down here I skied a little bit with the Lakeland Ski Club. They do shows every Sunday afternoon during the season. They have ATB down by a girl who gets up backwards on a slalom and goes around the boat bacerds! Very cool....almost as cool as Tull's ATB pyramid.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:00pm
Sweet. Its awsome you still use the oldie for ski shows. I bet people love the boat. We kneeboard around the boat on our public lake. Its possible to do an almost true 360 instead of 180 with the boat on a kneeboard. People freak out when we do that haha.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:20pm
@phatsat67, it is possible to do a 360 on a ski as well, the driver just has to be better and so does the skier. thats how we do it on our team. it is tougher, but more impressive.

here is my dad (tullfooter) pulling me behind our little 90 HP larson flyer. as you can see it is basically a full 360

outboard ATB
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Pauly-Banana Pauly-Banana wrote:

I have never seen that before. Having a pyramid go around the boat that smoothly must be really tricky to complete. What point value did the judges decide on and who was the team that completes this cool trick!

Thanks for adding to the post!

the team is called Spray Masters, we are out of Davisburg, MI. I cant remember off the top of my head what the point value was but i believe it was second highest at D2 nationals that year
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 9:04pm
I was contacted by a memeber to display this one again, so here it goes!
DIXIECHICKEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXIECHICKEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 10:08pm
Always wanted to try that!! Awesome!!
GIG EM!!!
If its hurtin, soak it in cider!!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 11:23pm
Sorry that our videos are no longer up. Youtube did some spring cleaning. I'll have my son repost. Last season we accomplished a new trick called the "Tick Tock" We do two guys around the boat, In opposite directions. It is very cool, and MUCH harder than the normal ATB.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 1:37am
This is my son a few years back. Not a CC but perhaps this year. Need to modify the tiller arm on the SN to turn like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wf4VakVGGE

FrankT
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 9:02am
Frank,
I enjoyed seeing you son doing the 360. Good job!

Your youtube link had some PWC links as well. Perfect examples of the typical PWC driver mentality!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 12:49pm
Awesome thread. If I was a casual boater and saw the weekend warrior skier go ATB I would crap my board shorts.

Sometimes if you have a capable driver/rider/skier, you can do this act without the C hook or without an extended pylon. My buddies and I used to go around his 95 sport with nothing out of the ordinary. Get practiced up on it and wow people on your lake!

Thanks for re-posting!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 2:37pm
Great trick, many people end up with only the 180, but the 360 isn't any more difficult with 1 or 2 people. 5+ is when it gets hairy. 1 man is haulin, while 5+ long man is doing everything to keep the line tight. The back roller for the first two guys is pretty nasty.

The KW Show Ski mini Hylon is the perfect ATB tool. It is just above windshield height, has the swivel top to prevent rope chaf***************e and just slides over pylons from 89 or so and newer. You can mount the release to it, and use for every act in the show. You can pull one or two guys on a regular height pylon, but anymore than that, it gets tough for the spotter to clear the rope and it puts a good deal of stress on the windshield and the ropes.

The thing to remember is to have all skiers cut at the same time, and the same amount, you don't want to over run the guys ahead of you, but you need to be able to keep tension yourself. The key is to keep your front knee bent over your toes and all the weight on your front foot to keep the ski gliding as long as possible. The other trick is to know when to "cut back" to the boat. once the boat finishes its turn, and starts heading away from you, you need to be going the same direction as well or you will get yanked backwards out of your ski.

My biggest pet peeve is the high scores given for atb's where they "sink" the last couple of guys.. total bushleague.. On a correct atb, you should be dry from the ankles up.

My opinion on the atbs where guys go opposite directions, is that the first guys does and atb, while the other guy just hangs out and never really goes "around" the boat.. just merely whips and hangs, then cuts under the other guy.. but its a great parlor trick.. people really seem to dig it.

Banana man is right.. flat bottom skis work the best, jumpers and wider skis are all the rage, I love my old cut n jump.. our small d2 team did 5 man atbs with all narrow old school cypress gardens and other wood skis multiple times last summer. Its a lot more hairy and techical, but no matter what ATB's are usually the favorite act for most guys.
SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 2:41pm
http://www.lakeelmosports.com/home.php?cat=52

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 1:13am
I am not sure if anyone noticed the bright painted orange ski that skierox is using. It's a good old wood Northland jump ski. He feels that the ski is very stable and easy to turn.

Hopefully not much of an investment for one of those skis!

Really fun to watch is the old O'brien classic video from the 70's that someone posted on the site. It shows a mid 70's Ski Nautique performing the ski around the boat. I thought that it was about 3/4 of the way into the video.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:49pm
We cracked just about every weld on our Moomba's pylon bracket and replaced it with a stainless steel one. We also broke the knob off our MasterCraft pylon. Love the ATB!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Moomba, MasterCraft

Well there's your problem!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic