NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BF Boom Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:20pm
Kap, an alternative would be to have an entire new clamp machined locally, using the BI as a referece. We had this done a number of years back to emulate the Casad clamp, which essentially incorporates the HA and the clamp in one piece that gives you all the adjustment you'd need.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:28pm
and in what alloy should i consider it would be strong to take that load and also the rust?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:31pm
Disregard the "stub" boom section, but this is basically the same clamp.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:17pm
here is the link to the boom i´m looking...looks like and old model due to the tipe of cable lenght adjuster...I think newers have the square piece with allen and the cables slides through it...

boom on ebay argentina

can so confirm?

price is in argentine $ at $4 for a dollar that makes around 150 us dollars

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:21pm
Yup, thats an older BI. $150 for that would be a very good price for it over here.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:28pm
Warning, you cannot use the BI height adjuster with that boom without some extra hardware! The clamp is milled to accept the full diameter 2" boom section. It is not notched like the current booms, so the HA will be loose in the clamp. You will need to shim it to get a snug fit. You might want to get another picture, either way it is a deal.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:28pm
that my thought also..but I would need to buy or fabicate the boom extension...
thinking loud...I have the BI skylon,,and it has a pin in the lower section for mounting the top section higher or lower...anyway, if I mount the clamp in the middle of the pylon.. and remove the pin in the skylon..is it an option..or not much of the skylon will mount on the pylon thus making it unsafe?

you follow me? at least I´don´t use words as pole, rod , insert...LOL
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:32pm
kind of a quest i´m into..I think the best would be to talk to the owner of my boom and ask him if he would take the one for sale as an exchange.........
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Warning, you cannot use the BI height adjuster with that boom without some extra hardware! The clamp is milled to accept the full diameter 2" boom section. It is not notched like the current booms, so the HA will be loose in the clamp. You will need to shim it to get a snug fit.

Based on what?

All of the earlier BI's Ive seen were notched like the curent ones.

Kap, you either have a Skylon (made by ECI) or a Fly High (made by BI, whcich doesnt have the pin you describe). It cant be both!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Based on what?

All of the earlier BI's Ive seen were notched like the curent ones.

Kap, you either have a Skylon (made by ECI) or a Fly High (made by BI). It cant be both!

Based on the silver colored BI boom in our garage. The large section on this is also hollow, and there is no knurling or rope notch on the thinner outer section. The boom kapla posted does look like it has knurling between the cables. The large section does look like it has the full diameter all the way to the end, and the milled section in the clamp.

kapla, if you have an adjustment pin you have a Skylon, I'm pretty sure that is correct from the pictures I've seen before. Do NOT bump it up at all, or flip the lower section upside down and use that height adjustment pin as the pylon "stop" for the lower section. It could bend your pylon and it'll come sliding off in use! It should be fully seated to the lower pull point through bolt (or non removable pin if you have an older Skylon). The removable height adjustment pin should be above. FYI - the bottom bolt on the lower pull ring should exactly half-way up/or down of the lower section. You need this much of the Skylon slipped over the pylon to prevent damage to the pylon, and safety.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:48pm
I mixed up..I have the ECI...so i´m positive it has the pin...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:52pm
thats why I ask so I don´t damage any equipment..so if the height extension is needed thats the way to go then...
I just make my friend the question if he would take the straight boom..so I can keep the contoured one..i´ll keep my fingers crossed...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:58pm
pics on the add don´t make justice but I think HW has a point there...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:21pm

Based on what?

Based on the silver colored BI boom in our garage.

Well, based on the silver BI clamp that I had, I would venture to say that the color alone isnt a definitive clue as to whether the clamp is notched or not. More investigation into that particular boom is necessary, Kap!

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:33pm
I will certainly do..Tim...It seems I may know the seller so eventually I will be able to take a look to the boom before making any decisions...

about the 3/4 wrench HW suggested..is an option but those bastards tend to have a life of their own and walk away when needed lol, more when little kids are around the boat
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:35pm
Come on Tim, that clamp is obviously faded out red.

I don't think I said ALL silver clamps are milled, so basically buyer beware!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:55pm

I don't think I said ALL silver clamps are milled

Warning, you cannot use the BI height adjuster with that boom without some extra hardware! The clamp is milled to accept the full diameter 2" boom section, Based on the silver colored BI boom in our garage.

Sounds like a blanket statement to me!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:59pm
"The" as in "The" clamp that kapla posted. Obviously you haven't gotten taht eye checkup yet... :rolleyes:
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:15pm

Kap, an alternative would be to have an entire new clamp machined locally, using the BI as a referece. We had this done a number of years back to emulate the Casad clamp, which essentially incorporates the HA and the clamp in one piece that gives you all the adjustment you'd need.

Hey, I'll bet Rick the Tachyon guy could easily make these. Perhaps if enough interest he can run off a batch for CCFan at an affordable price?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:15pm

"The" as in "The" clamp that kapla posted. Obviously you haven't gotten taht eye checkup yet... :rolleyes:

Apparently you havent gotten spellcheck yet.

Doctor says Ive got 20/20. If you can see that the Kap's clamp is milled, you must be better than that!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:21pm

Doctor says Ive got 20/20. If you can see that the Kap's clamp is milled, you must be better than that!

I think you should get a second opinion! This clamp is milled on the right.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:21pm
ha you kill me lol....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:22pm

This clamp is milled on the right.

I think its bad lighting. I see a gap on the left too- I think the halves are evenly spaced the whole way. I think the end of the boom is milled on the right!

If Tachyon were to make some boom clamps, I might be interested- their SDBM is one solid, nicely finished piece.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:18pm
I have a friend who makes boom clamps. Nicer than anything out there. Wish I could find a pic.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:26pm
I have a picture of those at home. It is basically a copy of the ECI design quick release sliding clamp, which won't help you run a boom with an extended pylon at the same time.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:50pm
He could make them to fit over the ext. pylon....

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:30pm
Fashionably late to the party, here was our setup. Didn't even need the extra room behind the pylon.

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:05pm
what an A hole
davee40
lakeland,fl
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Damn, Hollywood that spray looks like it'll kill you. Have you ever BF on a Malibu Sportster? How's their spray?

Sportster is one of the best. Ours is a late 90's with the Monsoon engine. These are with speeds around 30. Please no jokes about the vintage banana suit. We still have it but save it for our best friends.

http://www.youtube.com/user/7121Family?feature=mhw4

This is another one of my Sportster videos, local end of season ski show last year. Love the music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/7121Family?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/2/0Wf4VakVGGE

FrankT
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:31pm
Love your banana suit, looks just like these.

That Sporster sounds awesome in the around the boat video.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic