Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974-351 windsor intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974-351 windsor intake
    Posted: January-12-2010 at 5:18am
Guy I have a 1974 Ski Nautique. Im putting a new 351 Windsor in it. I have beefed up the cam and now Im stumped on what intake I should use. Please help.
Thanks Clark Slaten
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 12:48pm
Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM and Weiand Stealth are popular choices. Depends on what you want the boat to do, pull skiers, go fast or both. Give us some details on cam and heads you put on.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 8:30pm
I would like to have all the power I need to pull skiers and tubes. But I also want the boat to go 48-50. Really My god father has a Master Craft its a 205 with a LS-1 engine. I he runs like 49.6 MPH I would like to out run him. My 74 ski nautique was his very frist boat.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 9:44pm
Put some GT40P heads on with a good intake and you should smoke that Master Craft.

As Allan suggested any of those choices should be fine Summit also have a clone that looks good value.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Cslaten33 Cslaten33 wrote:

and tubes.

And what??? Clark, this certainly must be a misprint. Please don'r tell me you are serious!!! If you are serious, you sure are going through alot of effort for a tubing boat!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 10:42pm
Hey the kids like the tube.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 10:45pm
Where can I get the GT40P heads?
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 10:45pm
And how much are they???
Thanks Clark Slaten
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 11:23pm
Tri State Cylinder Heads GT40p
This is where some of us got them.

Here is another Clearwater
They are if I remember right around 250 ea for stock rebuilt ones
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 1:30am
And just what is wrong with tubing at 50mph ??
Other than the obvious of it being deadly...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 1:31am
If you are going to pull the heads, go ahead and put a Cam Research Cam and lifters in it too.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 4:09am
Critter I have already paid for a better cam and lifters. They are sitting in the shop ready to go in. I will tell you what the cam is tomarrow. I can not remember off the top of my head and I really dont want to go out to the shop and look right now. Although it is warming up here in Tulsa, OK.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 4:12am
Damn $600 for the heads. I think I will stay with what I have. LOL
Thanks
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 4:51am
The more I research the more I want the Weiand Stealth. What kind of gain will the have over the stock intake?
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 10:09am
Clark,
What rotation is the 351 you're putting in the boat? Talking about the cam you have, you what to make sure it's correct.

Get the kids up on skis or a board next summer. You'll find they will enjoy it even more. It's challenging and will develop skills.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 10:20am
that was my first thought Pete, if i were a betting man....
"the things you own will start to own you"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 10:28am
Clark I noticed you have the original long motor in the for sale section.

Is the replacement engine a marine reverse rotation or a automotive long block? Have you run the engine in the boat yet it may require a LH prop if it is. Like Pete and Eric said what cam do you have RH or LH rotation.

The Stealth manifold is 2.5" taller than the stock and may require a lower profile arrestor to fit under the engine cover.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 2:38pm
Clark, I put a Edelbrock Performer RPM on my 1977 with a K & N #59-3264 flame arrestor to make sure the engine box cover would still fit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Clark, I put a Edelbrock Performer RPM on my 1977 with a K & N #59-3264 flame arrestor to make sure the engine box cover would still fit.

FYI, that K&N filter may only have a 2" element, but has an overall height of 3.75". Its probably taller than the stock arrestor (usually 3"). You can barely squeeze on a 2" arrestor over the carb overflow tubes, but its an option if clearance is an issue. Either way, I wouldnt recommend the K&N- especially considering the price and performance increase (none).

Im not sure theres much to be gained with an intake change alone. Youre talking maybe 5-10hp, tops. If staying with the stock heads, its probably not worth going more aggressive than the standard Performer. The RPM or Stealth are great intakes if upgrading your whole top end (head/cam/intake).
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 7:34pm
Tim, as Clark said, he has the new cam, so why not put on the RPM? He can always do the heads or other more aggressive upgrades later and then you already have a good intake. As you said, not much to be gained if putting it on by itself with stock everything else. As for the K&N; my boat had a huge 5+ inch flame arrestor probably put on by a previous owner for some reason and I needed the clearance on my application. You have to admit it sure looks better than a stock one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 7:46pm
The K&N looks good, but there are stock arrestors that look better, IMHO! The SS Barbron ones are pretty nice.

The heads are the major choke point on the 351w... if you were only going to do one thing, that would be it. Changing the cam and the intake really doesnt make any sense by themselves. If he was smart and wanted to save money, then he would have bought one set of gaskets and done the heads, intake and cam at the same time. That would have gained him 80hp for $1200 (gaskets included) and pushed him into the low to mid 50's. His combo now (cam and intake) probably cost almost half of that with the gaskets and will only gain him 15-20 hp, tops. I stand by my advice!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 9:05pm
I'm waiting to see what the cam specs are and I was going to run a desktop dyno for him with the stock heads and the a comparison with the gt40p's.

I'm with Tim on this because you get 2 things with the Gt40p's, one being better breathing and 2 being almost a full point increase in compression ratio. The heads alone are worth approx 40hp. The cams not going to make a huge difference if the restrictions are there with stock heads, you could do a little home porting on the stock heads but it's not going to get you much.

Without changing heads I would not spend the money on an aftermarket intake. I took some heat for stating that on another thread but I still feel it's a waste of money even if this is a hobby.   

When it comes down to decision time on the intake I prefer the RPM over the standard performer BUT I like Summits clone of the RPM because you don't need the crappy adapter plate for the square bore Holley carb eliminating a possible vacuum leak and a second gasket. I know Tim runs a Stealth and I don't think you need the adapter for that intake either. I stay away from Edelbrocks simply for that reason.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 9:28pm
The engine going back into the boat is a LH rotation the sa
e that came out. The cam is to as well
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Cslaten33 Cslaten33 wrote:

The engine going back into the boat is a LH rotation the sa
e that came out. The cam is to as well

So the engine that came out wasn't the original engine ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 9:44pm
[QUOTE=81nautique] I'm waiting to see what the cam specs are and I was going to run a desktop dyno for him with the stock heads and the a comparison with the gt40p's. QUOTE]

Some time I have to have you run mine Alan, after all that work I did on mine last spring I didn't even pick up 1 mph.Low to midrange seems to have picked up. I need to get ahold of Reid or Matt to see about a prop next. What info do you need to run it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Some time I have to have you run mine Alan, after all that work I did on mine last spring I didn't even pick up 1 mph.Low to midrange seems to have picked up. I need to get ahold of Reid or Matt to see about a prop next. What info do you need to run it?

Didnt you try a 12x13 OJ, Gary? That prop should have pushed the boat well. I like the Acme 1210 better on my Skier, but both are good wheels.

The one detractor to installing the P heads on the earlier 289/302 is the drop in compression you'll see. Flow should be much better. I think if you tell Alan which intake youre using and get him your cam specs, he can run the software.
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 12:43am
Clark, believe it or not, guys were putting in cams and intakes on this motor for over twenty five years before the GT40P heads even came out and I am sure a lot of them got more than a 15-20 horsepower pick up. It will depend on your cam grind on how much you will pick up. I can understand with the new long block on not wanting to buy another set of new heads at this time. Just remember, the RPM and the Stealth will both work with the cam and any future head install.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 1:12am
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Clark, believe it or not, guys were putting in cams and intakes on this motor for over twenty five years before the GT40P heads even came out and I am sure a lot of them got more than a 15-20 horsepower pick up.

The heads in question arent the P heads- its the terrible flowing 302 based E7 ones that came on the stock 351w marine engines! Better heads have existed for the 351w since the very early days- the 1969+ D0OE heads come to mind. You dont have to take our word for it though- Alan will run the desktop dyno once he is given the cam specs.
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 1:45am
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=889&sb=2

Here is the hyper link with all the specs for the cam that I am going to use. unless you guys think I should go with something else.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 1:47am
What is a set of brand new 351W heads worth?? Never ran. Straight from the factory? If someone needs them or wants them. I will sell them so I can get the GT40P heads.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic