NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 2001 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:14pm
I read to do 2 layers each of 2, 4, and 8 inch tape for bonding to the hull so you need to grind out about 4 inches from either side of the stringer. Then cover it all in biax.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
zachjeepyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 12:55am
This is what i read should this be the same method for capping the stringer off.Im not quite sure what biax is thanks.Never been on the warrior river we ride on logan martin hows the water.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 1:19am
Here are some good links to a lot of the questions you will have. These are all links recommended to me by other members to read up on

Bill's Boatworks
Here are some big hitters on stringer/floor jobs. My apologies to anyone I forgot. In no particular order:

Buffalo's '88 Barefoot Nautique

Skibum's '87 Ski Nautique rebuild (and his website)

aka's '83 SN

Wakeslayer's '68 Stang

Joe in NY's all composite 60mph Nautique rebuild

The Grinch's '79 BFN

UK79's '78SN

Also search for the Pumpkin Patch. Lots of good reading there too. The Warrior is probably an hour at least from Bham. Maybe more, I was young so who knows. There was plenty of butter water, and hard core old schoolers that would do stupid stuff like start off on skis off the top of the boat house. That was back in 1985-1989.

The main thing is keep reading!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:13am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

but as a first timer Acrylic urethane (Imron) is a great second choice if you prefer not to gel. I have painted complete boats 10 or 15 years ago with AU and they still hold well and are one helluva lot easier to buff 10 years later.

Eric, don't they paint larger boats anyway?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 10:18am
yes, gelling is an art just like leading a car body, it takes skill or the end result is alot of wet sanding. i truly will "spot in" boats with bc/cc and at the edge will melt the paint in with a melting agent
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Buffalo's '88 Barefoot Nautique

Also search for the Pumpkin Patch. Lots of good reading there too.

Um, that search shouldnt be too hard!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 3:04am
Hows it coming Zach? Any snow down there in Birmingham?

1973 Skier
zachjeepyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:03am
My work has been so busy not complaining its been kind of slow,but i did get one side put in.I will post some pics, looks pretty good for a beginner.I did cut the glass down to about a 1/4 inch wasn't bad just plumbed it. Man that mat soaks up alot of epoxy. Had a hard time with the epoxy running so ive got to get some aerosil cabosil to thicken. Yeah we got about 2 inches of snow Friday and the kids loved it. We get excited about snow don't get much.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

yes, gelling is an art just like leading a car body, it takes skill or the end result is alot of wet sanding. i truly will "spot in" boats with bc/cc and at the edge will melt the paint in with a melting agent

I don't remember the last time I got hot silver shoes while spraying anything. I haven't played with lead in about 15 yrs.

I've been told spraying gel is like spraying nasty high build primer. You know the type. Hard as hell to sand, one spot looks like glass, other spot looks like the surface of the moon.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:23am
Yep I remember the few times we got snow as a kid in Bham. Usually just ice storms! Hope you got to build a snowman with your kids. We got to here. I am still in the grinding the hull stage but making progress day by day.

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 10:33am
the old man was a leader, all high end cars, he was the best around...not much on personality though. sanding gel is like sanding a diamond.
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic