Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 2001 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
zachjeepyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 2001 rebuild
    Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:07am
Hey guys i joined last summer and had some questions about stringers and spider cracks.Well now its time to fix the problem and i have completely stripped my boat to the hull,removed the rotted stringers on one side,and now im waiting to order my epoxy.Ive got to special order the fir 2x10 no one around birmingham al stocks them.Last night i started sanding my hull getting ready to re gel. Is there anymore options besides gel i want it to last, and also wanting to know the best solution u guys have found to fix the spider cracks.Ive done alot of research and havent found anything besides groove them and fill with bondo is this about the best thing ?Thanks for any help.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:15am
Zach, I'm in the process of fixing the gel on the deck of my Skier. I'm planning on painting for the time being and will use an epoxy filler instead of bondo.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 9:45am
Try Sweetwater Lumber in Austell,GA. It's a little ways for you to drive but worth it IMO to see what you are getting.

Try an advanced search for gel kote/gel coat and specify 'any date' in the parameters. There are several good reads on gel here.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 10:42am
Zach - Another option (not necessarily better)than filling the cracks is to completely strip the old gel coat.   One guy did that, I think he said he spent over a grand in sandpaper & a year doing it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:40pm
Thanks for the info put my order in at sweetwater today, and i will pick my stringers up tommorow.Saved about forty dollars compared to lowes. But on the other hand will spend that in gas.I'll have it this weekend though.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by zachjeepyj zachjeepyj wrote:

Thanks for the info put my order in at sweetwater today, and i will pick my stringers up tommorow.Saved about forty dollars compared to lowes. But on the other hand will spend that in gas.I'll have it this weekend though.

Zach,
Don't worry about the gas. besides being less, I guarantee the stuff from Sweetwater will be quality compared to Lowes!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 2:30am
My wife drove to sweetwater this morning and picked up my lumber so im ready to get started.Could anyone tell me about the awlgrip and interlux urethane paint and if u have tried it.Someone at west marine said these products were good and alot easier than gel.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 10:28am

Could anyone tell me about the awlgrip and interlux urethane paint and if u have tried it.Someone at west marine said these products were good and alot easier than gel.

Zach,
Yes painting is less time consuming. I don't feel it's any easier than gel. Maybe slightly easier to spray but the linear polys (Awlgrip, etc.) can be tricky too. It's best that you do have some time in holding the gun on ether. The extra time for the gel is due to the wet sanding/buffing needed after you shoot it. It doesn't flow out/level like paint does so you end up with lots of orange peel. Paint the same qualities as gel??? Never!!! I always promote gel for a high quality hull restoration.

Now, why do you think West is pushing the paint? They sell paint and don't sell gel!!!

BTW, nothing really against West as they do handle decent products but ALWAYS high priced. I'd avoid them if possible.

Their adviser service is pretty much a joke. I've called them several times, talked to several of their "advisers", can't answer the question and they end up giving me manufacturer phone numbers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 10:42am
Pete's advise above is 100% accurate and the only input I have to add is "do not remove all your gel coat" to eliminate spider cracks, simply get a dremmel and slightly rout out the cracks and fill them and sand.
Those that re-gel coat never regret it cause IT IS ORIGINAL.
bj
hasbeenskier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 1:23pm
outline the cracks with sharpie pen, i will mix finely shaven glass in with resin and a touch of talc to thicken. dremel all your lines and the go a touch deeper on the entire area. duraglass is also a good material for repairs. at the ends of the cracks go deeper and drill a circle....always first though, try to determine why the cracks are there or they will come right back. you need korlan primer for the area.
if your painting and not gelling, Acrylic Uretane (Imron) is the way to go. on your last coat you mix 50/50 paint and a good qaulity clear in the gun for its U.V protection and its finish
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 12:28am
Thanks pete everyone leans towards gelcoat i'll have to do it myself because of budget.I have one friend that paints cars says he will help.What is duraglass and would it be better than just bondo?Ill try to post some pics of my progress soon really nothing but a 1987 2001 in pieces .Also could i just use a gun from harbor freight to spray gel r do you guys have a specific one you like to use?Thanks guys!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 1:11am
Because gel coat is so thick something like this is needed.An added plus is that it mixes the hardener out side the gun,so you can stop.Just look up gel coat gun,there are several places that have them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:23am
Zack,
Glad you have some one who can help out with the spraying. Gel is a heavy viscosity so the guns fluid tip and air tip need to be the properly sized. People have tried to use cheap guns but to get the gel through them it needs to be reduced (thinned) so much that you don't get the build (thickness) needed. Some have been able to use gravity feed guns but the gel needs a fair amount of reduction with them too. I feel pressure feed is the way to go but do talk to your friend. I have a 2 quart pressure feed but it's a PITA to clean.

For the recommended viscosity, talk to the supplier of the gel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:27am
My next question is on my decking im going to use untreated 3/4 plywood.When i epoxy over it do i need mat r can i just roll epoxy over it to seal it off.
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:47am
Zach,

I am currently rebuilding a 1988.

I dry fit the 3/4" then used CPES liberally
Next I placed resin and 1 lift om mat on the bottom side.
After it cured out, I placed a layer of resin weted mat over all the wood stringer/supports that the 3/4" comes in contact with.

Attach the plywood with the strip mats still wet.

I then foamed around the edges of the plywood to the edge of the hull, sanded the foam, then you are ready to glass the top of the plywood.

This information may help you.. This method is above and beyond what the factory did

Dennis

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:56am
Zack,

I am basically going to do the same on the removable floor panel behind the engine.

Now that I have my floor sides 100% glassed in, I will place a 4' level or straight edge on the top of each side to determine the additional buildup on the plywood and or stringers in that area to get the panel flush on top with the sides.

This information may be ahead of you, yet may come in useful

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:34pm
82nautique1 Does u.s. composites sell the cpes that is where im ordering from.How many layers of glass on top of your plywood.Is your method strong enough to hold the plywood down for the next twenty years with no screws.Not doubting u just dont wont it to come up Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:57pm
Zack,

I do not know if USC sells the CPES, I bought my CPES here:

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

I ordered 2 Gallons (1 gallon of each component cost $177.71) I figure I have used 3 quarts of each so far. After placing the plywood on the wet strips on top of the stringers,

I pre drilled and used stainless screws to hold the plywood down.
I used a sringe to put some CPES in the drilled holes.
Use a liberal amount of resin on top of the screws with the first lift of mat.

I placed 3 layers of Biaxel on the top side of the plywood floor.
I am not concerned about the screws being in the wood as moisture will have to get through the 3 layers of mat and resin to reach them.

Dennis

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 10:49pm
Thanks for all the info this site sure helps.This is my first time doing any fiberglass,I actually install granite countertops for a living so i am familiar with resins and epoxies use them daily.What is the best method for laying the mat?From what ive read i need about 3 to 4 layers over my stringers ,i left the old glass just cut the top off it seemed easier for a beginner.On another post i read they used 2,4 and 8" strips.It took me forever to get my stinger to fit on the bottom probaly took it out 10 times to trim.Man you guys who get them out whole are lucky mine was nothing but mush. Definitly decided to go with the gel coat that way i want have to worry about the paint for a while not looking forward to all that sanding though.That seems like what most people prefer.The guys at usc sent me some stuff to thicken the epoxy to fill the spider cracks. Im planning to do bedliner on the floor. In a light color of course is this a good idea seems like it would seal everything off.Im going to take some pics soon of the progress.Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:50am
Heres my help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:57am
]This is the boss!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:58am
Finally figured the pics had to resize.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:06am
Looking good there. You are ahead of me. I used to live in Vestavia Hills in Birmingham. My first Correct Craft experiences were on the Warrior River. Learned to waterski there. Wakeboard now though.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:26am
Heres the boat last summer .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 9:55am
some sound advice, Gelling a boat is for keeping the boat original but at times is very labor intensive and expensive to do and not for first timers, you will end up going broke if not done correctly, Pete, yes is an advocate for re-gelling.   Eric is not, if it was a matter of the boat being worth 10k more because you re-gelled, then gel it
but as a first timer Acrylic urethane (Imron) is a great second choice if you prefer not to gel. I have painted complete boats 10 or 15 years ago with AU and they still hold well and are one helluva lot easier to buff 10 years later.
im just providing information and in no way trying to sway whichever way you decide to do it. i respect pete's opinion to the fullest, but its your boat and you know what your capable of. your local paint store can mix acrylic urethanes and they have the same formulas as the marine paint, half the cost and if you do decide to AU, talk to a rep about application, on the last coat you mix 50/50 paint and a good UV clear and you will see your face in the side of the boat.
Gelling has a tendency to go on thicker and will orange peel if not applied correctly, and that means you will spend about 100 hours of wet sanding it flat. again, just passing info
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:01am
I read thru again, I use a black sharpie pen to outline all the cracks because if you miss one they will instantly re-appear, find the root cause in your case probably weak stringers for the cracks. dremel the cracks down about an 1/8" and at the ends of the cracks dremel a circle, then come in with a small grinder and create a river over the cracks to make the repair area wider, grind with 36 and use either Long and strong, Duraglass with fiber added and block sand. use a 2 part urethane prime or epoxy prime and lat sit for a few days for shrinkage
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:02pm

i left the old glass just cut the top off it seemed easier for a beginner.

FYI, this is a very questionable practice! That old glass wont give any strength to your stringers and you'll never bond it to the wood as good as you could with new glass. I would highly recommend cutting those channels down to 1/4" or less (or completely removing them). You should get rid of all the gel anywhere the new glass will go to allow it to bond glass to glass (much stronger).

Another vote for re-gel here. Its thicker and will last longer and be more durable than paint. Several first-timers here have tackled it with amazing results. I will be doing the same on the deck of my '67. Just do your research and take it slow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

i left the old glass just cut the top off it seemed easier for a beginner.

FYI, this is a very questionable practice! That old glass wont give any strength to your stringers and you'll never bond it to the wood as good as you could with new glass. I would highly recommend cutting those channels down to 1/4" or less (or completely removing them). You should get rid of all the gel anywhere the new glass will go to allow it to bond glass to glass (much stronger).

Another vote for re-gel here. Its thicker and will last longer and be more durable than paint. Several first-timers here have tackled it with amazing results. I will be doing the same on the deck of my '67. Just do your research and take it slow.

Zach,
I agree with Tim especially on your technique with the stringers. Easy? Maybe. Strong? No. I'm emphasizing this because I do not feel it's wise for others coming to the site following the same method.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:58pm
Guy's

Before I started, i read the threads and have since found out the one's that presented them are correct.

If you leave the existing fiberglass edges whatever height, you really have no way to see or fill the small gaps with filler. It is very hard to duplicate 100% the bottom shape of the stringer to match the hull.

I would also think that the mat strips you bed under the stringers would create more air gaps further reducing the strength you are trying to achieve.

As many guys have said and I know for a fact with a 4" grinder and some aggressive sanding disks the old can be removed.

I think the only thing saved is some very dirty dusty work.

I am 100% glad I removed all the old. When you get through the real dirty part you start feeling real good about your rebuild.

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachjeepyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 9:41pm
Its no problem to cut it away i just used it for a template and was gonna fill cavity with epoxy I thought it would bond.But if im not going to get strength then ill cut them, ill probably leave a 1/4" though to get the right position.Yes im also going to sand the gel before glassing just havent got to it yet.As far as the gel coat i have a experienced painter to help but he's never done any gel.Please let me know any suggestion just want to do it right ,also would someone please let me know how to lay the fiberglass and how far to overlap it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic