Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Float switch for my bilge pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Float switch for my bilge pump
    Posted: May-22-2010 at 4:49pm
I can't believe I cannot figure this out even after writing down how it was wired before I took the old ones out.

Can anyone tell me how to wire my Attwood 800 bilge pump and the pictured float switch? Each device has two wires but the wires on the float switch are the same color which is throwing me off. I just have a bilge on/off switch on the dash.

Need help asap because it is getting in the way of everything else.

Thanks,

scott

I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 5:17pm
the switch should be a three position switch with the middle being neutral, one position power all the time to the pump to turn on manually and then power thru the switch on one leg with power when unattended. the float is merely an on/off switch. some pumps have three wires and its been a while so there may be an inconsistancy in this post
"the things you own will start to own you"
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 5:22pm
I will look in to it. But, I had it wired up before the rebuild with this same float switch but a different pump and it worked fine. That pump had two wires like my new one. The switch on the dash is original and it too was working last year.

I basically have two wires on the pump, two on the float and an on off on the dash.

knowing this, what do you think?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 5:32pm
good ground? i dont want to confuse you because im a little confused also. i would ohm the switch for continuity flowing thru it then put 12 volts to the pump and make sure that works. checking the switch in the up and down position.
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 5:45pm
Scott,
Hot to the dash switch same as before. Then to the float switch same as before. Connect to ether wire on the float. Other wire on the float to the pump wire marked positive (hot). Other wire on the pump will be ground.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 5:56pm
Eric,

See my post to Pete.

Going outside and try everything. Thanks again, will let you know tonight.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 1:09am
Here is a picture of the bilge pump switch from the backside. Its the far switch on the right. Btw, the fuse is not blown. It's the switch with the yellow wire pointing left and the yellow connector on the right. The three wires on the switch are:

The small yellow wire leads to the bilge pump area
The large yellow connector also goes to the bilge pump area and
The dark colored wire in the middle goes upward to the fuse link.

Where is the source of power? Did I take something off and forgot to put it back? I pull the switch but nothing comes on. I straight wired it to the battery and it works fine.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 2:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
Hot to the dash switch same as before. Then to the float switch same as before. Connect to ether wire on the float. Other wire on the float to the pump wire marked positive (hot). Other wire on the pump will be ground.

When you say "hot to the dash....do you mean the hot wire on the bilge pump or a separate hot wire? Do you mean for me to get a "hot" wire to the dash bilge pump switch somehow because I don't see one now.

Also, when you say "other wire on the float to the pump wire marked positive(hot),....is this the Hot wire you mentioned in the first sentence above?

I going to kill this beast yet.........just need a big enough weapon.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 2:27am
Do you have a meter? I had similar problems. I started with the black meter lead on the negative battery post and followed power with the red lead from the swith then to the pump. If that checks out move negative prob to the pumps neutral wire and check again. Turns out I had a wire slip off the manual mode switch, and had the hot leads mixed up to the pump. Confused and frustrated me. go to the basics.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 2:39am
Is there only one switch? It looks to me like the float mode ( yellow) is wired to the hot leg of the switch and should always be on when the accessory switch is hot, the brown would be the manual mode and wired through the switch. The neutral would takes a seperate path to the negative bus. Warning, I am a fair amature electrition but no expert..
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:23am
The switch is an original two position switch and is either pulled out(on and running) or in(Off). The instructions call for a three position switch but I had it wired with my switch before so I know it can be done, just did not make good enough notes.

The small yellow wire you see and the wire with the large yellow connector are not connected to anything at this point. They both run to the bilge area and were cut before my rebuild started. They head left in the picture and run down the access hole beneath the dash.

Their is a constant power source wire also in the bilge area that was cut and it runs to the base of the amp meter. It was also a part of the puzzle before all the cutting took place.

I have learned to never remove anything until I have it videoed or written down in detail before the repairs start.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:39am
Scott,
Power comes off the hot feed under the dash, to the fuse and to the switch. Thats the purple wire.

Since you have two wires going to the bilge, you have both a "automatic" and "manual" mode of running the pump.

The yellow wire on the switch is hot all the time so it goes to the float switch and then from the float switch to the pump. This is the automatic mode.

The brown wire with the oversize yellow sta-con connector on the dash switch goes directly to the pump by passing the float switch. This is for the manual mode.

Scott, If you ever have any electrical problems in your home, call a electrician!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:49am

Scott, If you ever have any electrical problems in your home, call a electrician!!!! [/QUOTE]

How did you know???

I did in fact call to have additional outlets put in my house and of course a new A/C unit was off the charts out of my league.

If I can't fix it today, I may just have to do what the three stooges did when water came in their boat.........take a big drill and make another hole for the water to go out
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 12:02pm
Pete,

Heading to church now. Went out there and looked at the contact point behind the fuse link. See if I have this figured out or close:

There is a wire that goes from the AMP meter to the side of the fuse contact. A brown wire then goes from the fuse to the side of the bilge switch.

Are you saying my power is coming from the amp meter to the fuse then to the switch?

I will at it again about noon. Bought a cheap meter to see if I have power.

Will let you know what happens.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Pete,

There is a wire that goes from the AMP meter to the side of the fuse contact. A brown wire then goes from the fuse to the side of the bilge switch.

Are you saying my power is coming from the amp meter to the fuse then to the switch?

scott

Yes, the amp meter connection is the hot source. Then to the fuse and then to the switch is the correct wiring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
Power comes off the hot feed under the dash, to the fuse and to the switch. Thats the purple wire.

Since you have two wires going to the bilge, you have both a "automatic" and "manual" mode of running the pump.

The yellow wire on the switch is hot all the time so it goes to the float switch and then from the float switch to the pump. This is the automatic mode.

The brown wire with the oversize yellow sta-con connector on the dash switch goes directly to the pump by passing the float switch. This is for the manual mode.

Pete,

One more comment and I will shut up. As stated above, do you mean I can rig it to either auto or manual but not both? Last year, I had it rigged whereby the switch could be in the off position and I am asleep at night and if enough water came in, the float switch would automatically come on and pump it out.

Going outside to work on it. Supposed to be 92degrees today.

scott

Scott, If you ever have any electrical problems in your home, call a electrician!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 6:41pm
Scott,
Both. In auto mode, the float switch turns it on and off. In manual, you pull the dash switch to turn it on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 8:02pm
Thanks Pete but I am beginning to think I will never get this thing fixed.

I wired everything up like you said, got my tester out to check for power at each connection. All connections showed a light but when you pull the switch out, nothing happens. If you lift the float switch up, nothing happens. I even changed the wires from the bilge switch to the "misc" switch right beside it thinking the bilge switch went bad..........same thing, nothing. If you straight wire it from the battery bypassing the switch, it works. Its over my head, I will have to call somebody to try and come over to my house.

So, I then switched to putting the floor in. Easy right? Just put the exhaust in, connect all the hoses and screw the floor down. NOT!!! For the last two hours, I have been trying to get the exhaust hoses hooked up to the metal straight pipes and for some reason, nothing wants to bend like I need it to. One end of the straight pipe won't even go in to the exhaust hose..they are both 3" so I am stumped. Nothing lately has been anything close to easy and I am getting pretty sick of the whole thing

Don't know which direction to go now. Callaway gardens is looking like an impossibility. I am hating this project in the worst way now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 8:39pm
Scott, I hope its not this simple but the way you are wired you will only get power to both modes with the Ignition on or in the accesory position. If you want to have it run in auto all the time that lead would have to be hot wired to the battery
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Scott, I hope its not this simple but the way you are wired you will only get power to both modes with the Ignition on or in the accesory position. If you want to have it run in auto all the time that lead would have to be hot wired to the battery

Dave,
Scott says the feed is off his amp meter so it should be hot all the time.

Scott,
Do you have a fax? I could draw you a picture and fax it to you. Sorry but I can't do it on the computer!!

Scott,
Lets' go back to the switch in the dash. Do you have power there??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 9:34pm
I guess. I hooked everything up, grounded my testing device and touched the left connection on the bilge pump switch. The light came on. The feed from the amp meter is not doing anything right now except laying in the bottom of the boat. I started over with the wiring after your comments on how I should wire it and the amp feed wire was not included.

I touched 4 connections in the boat and the left terminal on the bilge switch and the light came on every time but if you pull the switch or lift the float switch, nothing.

I am going to study your diagram and wait for your responses.

Thanks dave as well.

BTW, I just the whole gas tank assembly out for the third time due to my problems with the exhause hoses and straight pipe.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 9:36pm
no fax machine except at work tomorrow night but I don't know what the number is.........sorry.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 9:39pm
There are two wires I have not connected yet but I doubt they have anything to do with my problem.

One goes to a terminal on the side of the distributor and the other is grounded to the block of the engine just below the distributor.

Tell me they are not the culprit, please?
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:28pm
Pete,

Just found out that I cannot bring my boat anyway if I don't have a firm reservation and tickets. I think I read it correctly(see my post under the Master's topic).

Guess I am not in a hurry anymore, huh?
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:22am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

good ground? i dont want to confuse you because im a little confused also. i would ohm the switch for continuity flowing thru it then put 12 volts to the pump and make sure that works. checking the switch in the up and down position.

Don't overlook the ground to complete the circuit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:47am
Dave,
Scott says the feed is off his amp meter so it should be hot all the time.

Pete, I quess a little knowlege can be dangerous, I assumed since my gauges go dead when the ignition goes off that there would be no power there. I also have a volt meter and not an amp guage, I know the volt meter in laymans term reads the avalable voltage in the system,( battery or alternator). What is amps reading? total draw?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:28am
Scott,
Start over at the source and confirm power. Confirm power through the dash switch as well as the float switch. Yes, check your ground (use the same grounding point you have the pump hooked to for your test light)
I don't know how to help you anymore other than getting you a sketch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:49am
Pete,

Here's a dumb question: The only ground I have been assuming is taking place is on the right terminal of the switch where that big connector is located. Otherwise, I don't have it grounded to anything. One of the guys above said to make sure I am grounded and I assumed I was. Maybe this has been the problem. Will try it out today.

Btw, if you know where I can buy a nylon half nut to go on the back side of my overflow valve on the stern of the boat, let me know. I cranked on mine too hard and broke it. It's like trying to buy low grade plutonium around here!!
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:52am
Monty,

See my post to Pete below. I don't see where I have a ground wire other than assuming the non-hot side of the switch is grounded. Would this make everything not work?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:55am
Scott,
You are hopelessly electrically challenged!!! There isn't a ground on the switch - dash or float!!!!!! The ONLY ground you have is one of the wires on the pump. It needs to go to the engine block. The block is your ground. Remember your ground cable off the battery goes to the engine block. Do you see the little "earth" symbols in the wiring diagram above? Those are the ground connections.

What plactic nut on the transom?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic