NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what kind of oil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
adiocassette View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adiocassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what kind of oil?
    Posted: July-24-2010 at 8:26pm
i have a 78 ski nautique thats new (to me) i put new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, all new hoses and lines. I need to change the oil, and was wondering what kind of oil should i put in? and what oil filter do you guys recommend for a 351 windsor. thanks guys
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 9:03pm
Well, for oil you want an oil that has higher levels of ZDDP (zinc in it. A lot of guys use rotella diesel truck oil in their boats. Some other oils have good amounts of ZDDP in them too, but you certainly don't want an oil with low zinc in it. Oils with low zinc are not good for the motor.

zddp oil use in ford engines

Now oil filters, don't buy a fram. Some like Wix, some like purolator, but there are many good ones to choose from. Frams are cheap filters internally.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 9:45pm
Tom isn't exactly correct on the Rotella as all Rotella's are NOT high in ZDDP. Some have been reformulated for the new diesels!!

Napa gold is a very highly rated filter.

Tom,
Once again, double check your info before posting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 2:11am
I think you left out a comma Pete.   

Yes, some rotella oils are formulated differently, but the point of posting that link was for him to do some reading.

Notice how I left out the weight of oil?

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
adiocassette View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adiocassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 3:17am
yes, thank you for not answering my question horkn. i was wondering what weight, brand, etc. people are using and are happy with since im kinda new to inboards. Im asking for opinions. i could read a million different types of pros and cons online, so i'll rephrase my question, what type of oil (weight and brand) are you using in your 351? thank you
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 8:26am
Originally posted by adiocassette adiocassette wrote:

yes, thank you for not answering my question horkn. i was wondering what weight, brand, etc. people are using and are happy with since im kinda new to inboards. Im asking for opinions. i could read a million different types of pros and cons online, so i'll rephrase my question, what type of oil (weight and brand) are you using in your 351? thank you

As Tom mentioned, there are several threads on oils. Some with links to interesting facts on the ZDDP.

I'd say with members here, it's split 50/50 on ether Rotella straight 30 or Valvolene VR1 20-50. I'm running the VR1 20-50 in all my boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 1:02pm
Adio, questions on oil and filter choice, are like religion and politics in that they can be touchy.

That's why I didn't say exactly, and left a link for you to decide:)

thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 1:18pm
i run mobil 1 full syn 15-50 with motorcraft filter
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by thatdude596 thatdude596 wrote:

i run mobil 1 full syn 15-50 with motorcraft filter

You'd better start reading!!! I have personally seen cam lobes ground to rounds from people using what they thought was good oil on flat tappet engines. Please, DO NOT get caught up with the marketing/advertising scam and the "bling" factor. Do your research first. I feel you have made a very poor choice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 4:03pm
FL-1A
Tim D
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 4:25pm
After doing some more searches about ZDDP and flat tappet motors, it appears that the new rotella diesel oils are around 1200 ppm of zddp, about 200 ppm les than what it used to have only a few months ago.

Similar stories of valvoline VR1 oil reducing ZDDP levels to less than ideal numbers have been reported as well by race engine builders.

Here is one guy's quote regarding the VR1 in high performance boats.

"Case in point, Valvoline Racing oil VR1, had 1300 parts per million of ZDDP in January of 2008 and the last I heard it was down to 900 parts per million just a few weeks ago. Be aware that most racing oils are designed for short term use before being changed out and may lose the additive package before the next oil change in your boat."

Castrol has several oils that meet the ZDDP requirements of older motors as well, probably more so than any other brand of oil.

As far as actual numbers, the motorcraft 15w-40 has like 1550 ppm of zddp, which is higher than even the old formula of rotella.

It appears while some oil makers might make it more difficult to find a proper oil for us, that other brands are making oils specifically for flat tappet motors.

Here is some more reading for those interested.....

http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm
http://healey.org/content/view/269/1/
http://www.ohiomotorpool.oldmv.com/htm-files/hmv-restoration-tv.htm
http://www.littlebritainmotorcompany.info/index.php?id=follow-up_to_camshaft_chronicles
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/74002/race_vs_street_oil_and_lubricants_the_great_zinc_debate_continues.aspx
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 6:04pm
Tom,
I'm glad to see you are researching before posting!! Good info!!

BTW, you can also use the CCfan search feature and find out it's already been discussed. However, you have dug up the "latest and greatest"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 7:47pm
Yeah, some of the stuff that has been posted recently is old news and not accurate anymore.

A lot has changed since that ford article that keeps getting linked was written.
I hope people don't simply assume that their VR1 or rotella is the same formula as it used to be, because it is not anymore.
It used to be that the new oil was better in every respect than the old oil, and the new stuff can be used on old engines. Unfortunately this all changed in the last couple of years and using the newest oil formula may do more harm than good on these old tech motors.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:17am
I have a PCM filter on mine. PCM probably doesn't make it, but I'd hope that the people that make the engine would choose a good filter to protect it.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 8:56am
Very good discussion here. I just bought a 91 SN about a month ago, and the seller told me that he always changed the oil each year with Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. I'm not sure what weight he used, he didn't say. However, I do have some experience with building racing engines (Chevy's ... real engines... :-p )with a freind with decades of experience. We have seen guys' flat tappet cam lobes wiped out as well on break in by using Walmart or Dollar General cheap oil because of the dropping of zinc in oils these days.

What are your opinions on my boat having synthetic Mobil 1 in there right now? Supposedly he put this oil in each year for years and years. I'm driving back home from Maine next weekend to use it and I'm wondering if I should be freaking out about it now that I've read these Ford engines are sensitive to the zinc in the oil.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 11:06am
Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

What are your opinions on my boat having synthetic Mobil 1 in there right now?

Personally, not knowing specifically which M1 is in there now would scare me. The 15w50 has a ton of zinc and would be just fine- but the regular blends have much less. Might want to try and find out what exactly it is that youve got... or switch it out for peace of mind.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 1:41pm
I've been doing oil analysis on my stuff by spectrometer the at the last oil change new Rotella 15/40 had 1246 ppm zink.
Can't measure phospherous (we don't have the right atomic emission instrument) If you take a 2oz. hot mid-stream sample, and send it to me I can run it in 30 sec.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:22pm
Can you buy ZDDP as an additive?
Tim D
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Can you buy ZDDP as an additive?

Sure you can.

ZDDP plus is one of the ones that seems to be pretty prevalent if you search the internet for info on ZDDP.

I bet autozone, advance and all those have some ZDDP additive for sale.

As an additive to oil that may be lacking ZDDP, it will work, but is more expensive than simply buying an oil with good amounts of ZDDP in it to start with.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:54pm
Skyway, what exact Mobil 1 oil was used? Some formulas of mobil 1 were good to use even in wet clutch motorcycles.

Basically, if the container has the shield on the back with the "energy conserving" label in it, it won't be good for our motors. Pete, for wet clutch bikes, this is pretty much the rule as well.

Waterdog, you have access to the equipment to do the analysis? Do you work for Blackstone or whatever that place is called?

In any case, I am very interested.

From all the articles I read, even more than I posted, the one synthetic oil that has high amounts of ZDDP was redline brand.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:23pm

I'm now the back-up guy in our oil lab we analysis oil for wear metals and water.(at one time it was my full time job) We use a spectrometer on aircraft engine and transmission oils. I work for The United States Marine Corps as a silly servant.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 8:15pm
Went to Wal-mart, STP has ZDDP on the front label, got a bottle to try.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Went to Wal-mart, STP has ZDDP on the front label, got a bottle to try.

Tim,
It's interesting you mentioned this. When I first brought up ZDDP to our oil supplier several years ago, the very first thing he mentioned was "STP". Evidently, the zinc and phosphorous has been in that formula since day one. They picked up the fact that powdered zinc added to oils "plating" out the wear surfaces from the very very early oil benders. Also of interest in the metal stamping business, it was common with deep draw stamping problems way back for you to run down to the auto supply and get a couple cans of STP. Mix it up in the lube and the problems went away!!! You may have missed it in earlier threads so I'll mention it again. We can run galvanized or electro galvanized dry through our dies. No lube needed and when you open up the dies you see where the zinc off the galvanized has coated all the shear and form points. very low coefficient of friction and never any galling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:26am
i run mobil 1 in everything i have. car truck boat and my motorcycle i sold a few months. have been for years, zero problems and i drive them all hard with many many miles. may be im lucky, but i will stick to whats lucky for me
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:34am
What kind of bike? And what mobil 1 were you using?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:52am
I'm by far an expert on these motors but as we were discussing my cam (in my rebuilt/slightly built-up motor) I pulled the spec sheet from Cam Research and at the bottom it states...

(USE VALVOLINE 20-50 RACING OIL ONLY)

so take it for what thats worth.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:55am
Gun Driver, I wonder if cam research is aware that Valvoline has reformulated their VR oils recently and part of that apparently is lowering of the ZDDP levels. I would love to see what new VR oil has for ZDDP levels.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:00am
This is good information to have. I have quite a few cases left of the Valvoline VR1 20W50 racing oil from back in about 2004 from a Valvoline sponsorship on my circle track race car... sounds like it will be a good oil to use.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Gun Driver, I wonder if cam research is aware that Valvoline has reformulated their VR oils recently and part of that apparently is lowering of the ZDDP levels. I would love to see what new VR oil has for ZDDP levels.

I would imagine he does.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

What kind of bike? And what mobil 1 were you using?

2004 gsxr 750. many many people i know who race and ride track& street run it. we ran the full syn 15w-40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic