NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 teardown

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

dont let them tell you, let them show you

Will do Eric. I was told they will take pictures or call and I can come into the shop if I am in town. They did a heck of a job on my buddies 318, giving him updates through the whole process.

Keegan, I made sure to leave mine at home...but please post a pic and let me know how they turn out. I may have to freshen mine up when I put it all back together. What color did you go with for the 'original' blue. Mine had been repainted a darker blue at some point by the PO.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 4:51pm
While the motor is at the shop, is there anything I'll need to buy as far as transmission pieces? Any new seals? If I recall correctly, some have said it was best to replace the dampner plate while I've got it all torn apart?

I was having a little bit of what seemed like slippage at no wake speeds but I think it could be from my idle being too low.

Any advice?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

What color did you go with for the 'original' blue. Mine had been repainted a darker blue at some point by the PO.

Chris, I cant see the pics here at work but going from memory, I believe your engine is the original color. The early PCM/Waukeshas with the green manifolds had very dark blue blocks. Much darker than the Ford Blue Interceptors.

I would replace the damper while youre in there- its easy and cheap ($70). I wouldnt bother cracking open the transmission unless you were having issues with it- there isnt much you can do, short of a full rebuild.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would replace the damper while youre in there- its easy and cheap ($70).

Where can I get a $70 damper plate? Will buy as many as I can.

DIM has them for $175.00 BW/Ford 302/351
Florida Inboards price $168.70, In Stock!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I would replace the damper while youre in there- its easy and cheap ($70).

Where can I get a $70 damper plate? Will buy as many as I can.

DIM has them for $175.00 BW/Ford 302/351
Florida Inboards price $168.70, In Stock!

Jody,
Chris's boat has a Velvet so the standard off the shelf Sachs plate can be used and is less that $100. Mer Equipment as well as Eric is a good retail source. With a PCM trans, you're screwed since you are stuck with their plate!! BTW, the Sachs plate is better built too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 1:54pm
You beat me to it, Pete. The link you provided to Merequipment in the past no longer works, but the same 80106 drive plate is still listed in their drive plate brochure.

Ebasicpower also lists a similar ALTDA-106 drive plate as well, though it appears to be an ALTO Products part instead of the Sachs Ive heard mentioned.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 4:30pm
Hey! Thanks for the info. I wonder why both Indmar and PCM as well as DIM sells their drive plates for so much? even to us dealers. Wonder what the service load rating is on these plates are? maybe that is why PCM/Indmar and DIM are getting so much for them. Or could be the gold content!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 4:43pm
Ebasicpower is just down the road from work. Check them out when you need a control cable. I've used them several times.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 6:25pm
Great info guys. This is a no brainer for the rebuild process.

One other issue I was having was with starting....

At certain times when attempting to start, the boat would act like the transmission was engaged although the throttle was in the neutral position. It would not start unless I moved the throttle just a touch with the button pushed in. I'm not talking major movements, just a simple touch of the throttle.

At first I thought the problem would have been in the Morse Control, but the button had to be pushed in while I moved the throttle to engage the ignition. It seems as if the boat wasn't sitting in neutral and when I touched the throttle it would dis-engage and allow the boat to start. Once running, everything acted normal and performed as it should.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it has to be a setting on the trans?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 6:57pm

One other issue I was having was with starting....

At certain times when attempting to start, the boat would act like the transmission was engaged although the throttle was in the neutral position. It would not start unless I moved the throttle just a touch with the button pushed in. I'm not talking major movements, just a simple touch of the throttle.

At first I thought the problem would have been in the Morse Control, but the button had to be pushed in while I moved the throttle to engage the ignition. It seems as if the boat wasn't sitting in neutral and when I touched the throttle it would dis-engage and allow the boat to start. Once running, everything acted normal and performed as it should.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it has to be a setting on the trans?

Chris, its just a transmission cable adjustment- try adjusting it at the trans side first, then move to the Morse side if you cant get it squared away. The "neutral" position on the morse is simply not centered into the actual neutral position on the trans. Its pretty common- a quick jiggle of the throttle (button in so it actually moves the trans cable) will usually clear it up.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 7:09pm

a quick jiggle of the throttle (button in so it actually moves the trans cable) will usually clear it up.

Thats exactly what I had to do. I remembered reading a couple posts about it a while back. I think Alan gave a nice description of how to properly troubleshoot problems with the throttle cable.

I'm planning on taking the Morse Control off anyway to clean it up while I wait for the motor. I'll also be replacing both cables as I found a pretty nasty wear on the throttle cable.

EDIT- Any chance this had something to do with the trans feeling like it wasn't fully engaged while at idle?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 2:30am
Chris, your motor looks to be the standard PCM blue from that era. From the pics, it appears to be the same exact color as my PCM that had the green manifolds originally. It was definitely darker than the traditional ford blue.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 3:18am

Look at the picture above, by the oil dipstick. Looks like the dark blue was peeling off and showing a lighter blue underneath. I'll take a look at the trans tomorrow and see if I can see any of the lighter blue there.

I figured someone had painted it at some point when I saw this.....Kinda got excited when I saw it as I like the lighter blue a little more.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 3:33am
It almost looks like the original Ford light blue Chris.Do you think Ford painted their parts, then Waukesha repainted their color? Or do you think Ford would send out engine parts not painted and then the marinizer would paint?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 3:39am
Chris, that looks right.

I have a couple spots on my 78's motor like that too. My boat was original and extremely low hours when I bought it so I know mine is original.   From what I can tell, ford painted their blocks, and then PCM painted over that paint. It doesn't make sense any other way. PCM wouldn't have 2 different paint colors for the block, but simply repainted fords blue with their dark blue.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 4:54am
hmm very interesting. I will have to pull up some old pics and see what mine were like. I kind of seem to remember a lighter layer underneath in chips on the paint but never really gave it any thought.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 12:55pm

EDIT- Any chance this had something to do with the trans feeling like it wasn't fully engaged while at idle?

Yes depending on what direction you were off.. worn and sloppy cables could also have both effects you are noticing. However they could also cause you to wear out the clutch plates by idling around half engaged all the time if you have let it go too long. Replace the cable if that is in your plans then adjust appropriately, only worry about the trans if that doesn't take care of it.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 4:16pm
Thanks for the input Joe. I am planning on replacing both cables while its all apart as I found the actual cable was exposed in one place. I'll get everything adjusted when I put it all back together.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 4:12pm
Well guys, just got word from John at the machine shop. I sent a few of you emails but thought I'd post here as well. John thinks it probably got hot at some point and let water on the pistons as the heads were leaking.

2 broken heads
scored pistons

The Cam is said to look great with little wear which was surprising to me as I thought it would have been a worn cam lobe. I am thinking of going to Gt-40p heads but am wondering if I will see much more performance without putting a new cam and intake as well?

He's got a set of heads he will sell me for $110 and will keep my costs down quite a bit.

Thoughts?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 4:41pm
Chris, I just sent you a detailed message but here's a summary.

If its not too late, Id consider going 351w or 331/347 stroker long block from Fordstrokers.com instead of rebuilding what youve got. More hp/$.

If youre committed to using your old block at this point, then Id still upgrade to a 331 or 347 stroker while youre rebuilding the bottom end. The only reason not to is cost- but there is a really big hp return on your investment here, and its a now or never deal. My guess is it would cost an extra $500-700 for a new crank and rods plus the extra machining on your block vs. refurbing your old parts. You'll likely need new pistons either way.

Regardless of whether you go stroker or not, definitely upgrade the top end (heads/intake/cam). Youre talking $400 for heads, $250 for the cam, $120ish for a used intake. Small potatoes considering the overall cost.

Think about it this way:

351w with upgraded top end = 320-330hp
331-347 stroker with upgraded top end = 300-330hp
302 with upgraded top end = 260-280hp
302 with head upgrade only = 240-250hp
stock 302 = 220hp
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 5:04pm
I was reading this from the beginning and I missed a bunch of it. The waukesha blue is definitely darker. More like a navy. I used old ford blue and it is much lighter and bluer. I am glad I went back to green on the manis.

Before

After

And here is the manifold. Not the best lighting but this finish seems very durable compared to the slack matt black that the mechanic painted it.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 2:38pm
Well I've decided I'm going to ditch the whole internal combustion and go with the new electric motor Nautique released today

Just kidding!

After reading Alan's Thread like Tim suggested, I think I have a plan together. I'm leaning towards stroking and going with a 347. It's already out of the boat and it's not that much more to make the switch. I'll also be getting a set of Gt-40p's from cylinderheads.com, new intake and a cam from Cam Research.

These modifications along with a new prop and maybe a carb should make me more than happy with it's performance!

I should be able to start ordering parts this week and the build should go pretty quickly. In the mean time, I'll be changing the cutlass bearing, cleaning the bilge and getting the trans ready for some new paint.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 6:09pm
A few questions I have regarding Parts after re-reading Alan's thread.

1. Melling Oil Pump- Still the way to go? What about high pressure vs. High volume. This seemed to be matter of opinion from one to another? I'm probably not going to reach much further than 4,500-5,000 rpm and this seemed to be the changing point? Probably using Moly Rings like Alan unless informed otherwise.

2. Piston to Bore clearance- If I read correctly, Forged pistons are probably the best choice for the $, but need more clearance in a marine application due to cold block temp and need to be turned 180 degrees.

3. Main Seal #'s for Alan's are 17748 and 17795- Would these be the same for my 302? If I read correctly, the front seal is the same as the 351?

4. Tri Metal Cleavite bearings - Still the way to go?

5. Billy mentioned he is using an Eagle Stroker crank- Is there a large difference with this over what John (machine shop) might recommend?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 6:21pm
Chris, youre venturing into unfamiliar territory for me, so I wont comment on many of the specifics... but I do have a few inputs.

1. I would plan to build your engine to be capable of spinning up to 5500-6000 (or more). You will most likely want to cam it and prop it to run in the 5000rpm range, maybe just a little more. I dont *think* you want a high pressure pump- though HV might be ok.

2. I would lean towards all forged components in the bottom end. Stronger = better. Joe or someone else may be able to better comment on what is money well spent vs. overkill. I do believe you'll want to select your specific piston and follow the manufacturer's instructions on setting the proper cylinder wall clearance for a marine application.

4. I think front seals may be the same on the 302/351, but the rears are different. Do not take my word for that though.

5. No idea, Alan or Joe would be good people to ask.

6. Ive heard good and bad things about both Eagle and Scat cranks. I'd want to do some more reading, but Id probably be comfortable with either of those- but would not want a cheaper off brand.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 9:51pm
Chris start reading I had a Scat forged VW crank years ago,it was a work of art.I broke it,no fault of theirs tho.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 3:46am
fwiw, when I put gt40P's on my 351 that had std 240hp heads on it, it made a huge difference from those heads with only intake manifold too. I did not change the cam, and unless I get bored, the hp it has is more than enough as is.

That said, I would rather go with a 331 or similar size stroker on a 302 unless you can get pistons that don't have the oil rings extend into the rod pins like a lot of 347 strokers do. I'm not a fan of oil control rings that intersect the rod pins.

To be honest, going to a 351 w might be cheaper if you can find a block.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 10:02am
its usually the dead stop that breaks things, unlike a car the most vunerable time when things break is when they let the trans brake loose and try to transfer all the power to the wheels which sit on solid ground, the advantage a boat has is the transition of a smooth band of power thru the range and on a boat things will break at the higher RPMs, more or less something lets loose.
With a tight properly clearanced engine there is no need for a high volume oil pump, I would think there is no such thing as overkill on any engine that you want to perform flawlessly for years, so you probably want to put the best parts in there. obviously the pocket book dictates what goes into the engine, and if the funds are available you always go with the stronger forged parts. really if you wanted you could put hook type piston rings in there and the ring set would set you back 300 bucks....is it needed? probably not, but a piece of mind comes with it.
The only thing I can really add is dont go with any foriegn made budget parts, go with brand name parts like melling, clevite, even OEM parts, they have a proven track record.
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 10:08am
and inspect new parts before you install unlike a seasoned guy as myself, 8 hour day swapping the front cover on a 3.2 Mercedes engine which includes lifting the engine, pulling 2 oil pans, setting the timing chains, pulling the impossible to get to valve covers, and finding out that 14 holes on the front cover were not tapped (threads) I guess im not so seasoned, what a way to waste a day.
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 11:29am
Chris, you may want to do a little bit of reading on 302 strokers before deciding between the 331 and 347. Like Horkn alluded to, the extra stroke of the 347 sends the pistons pretty far down in the cylinders- which may have an impact on longetivity. Billy's 331 is plenty stout, as is Reid's 347... just do your homework!

Glad to see youre going to punch it out though. The extra cubes along with a fresh top end will make that Tique something to be reckoned with!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 12:08pm
Great info again Guys. My next question was going to be the longevity of a stroker. I really like the concept of more ponies and if it's not too much more $$ I might as well take the leap, but I don't want to be worried about maintaining the motor as well.

Like Tim said, I need to do my homework as this is a new process for me. Thanks for being patient as I go through my first rebuild, I am open to any and all suggestions!

I figured 347 was the way to go since I'm taking the leap anyway. If a 331 will provide a more stable unit then I would lean that direction. Opinions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic