NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

-

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 8:23pm
Good catch Kap, that 95 on craigslist is not what he thinks it is lol
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by waker319 waker319 wrote:

yes i looked at the 95, but Mike is right im looking for an open bow...

Must have missed the open bow bit.

If you are looking at an open bow, I would not even consider a ski nautique.

The open bows in the ski nautique are realy small, and they are not walk thru - they are all step over. This is a real pain in the a$$ especially if you have people in the front seats & you want to get to the bow area, or if you have or want to install a bimni top & still access the bow area.

IMO the ski nautiques really are not well setup for an open bow. you also loose interior space to make room for the open bow. You will struggle to fit 2 regular size people up front comfortably, and you will dip the nose VERY easilly if you are not carefull. These boats have nothing like the freeboard of a bayliner / searay I/O etc.

If I was looking for an open bow Correct Craft, I would start with a sport / air nautique. Much better arrangement with a walk thru bow area and excellent interior space.
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 10:37pm
-
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Good catch Kap, that 95 on craigslist is not what he thinks it is lol

Craigslist is "Scamslist". So many people waste time searching on Craiglist only to get hosed or close to it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 11:56pm
In my observation, the good deals go really quickly on craigslist. If it's been sitting for awhile without being sold, there's a reason. If I was in the market and 10k was in my price range, a 96 sport would be my target.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Have you seen this 95.???

It's in Bay Area

That appears to be a ski nautique, not a sport, let alone not a super sport. Closed bow and DD, not Open bow and V drive means no Super sport.

If that was a supersport for 8k, I would have bought it already. ;)
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 3:55am
By your username, I would say your primary use for the boat would be wakeboarding. If you need the room, you might want to look for a super sport or super air. Pretty much if a correct craft has the word "super" in front of it then it is a v-drive meaning the engine is located in the back of the boat. Great boats I am a little biased though. A v-drive has more of a seating arrangement to an I/O.

If you are looking at a budget wakeboard boat, look at the 2001 series hulls made from 82-89. They can seat 5 pretty comfortably and with a little ballast and a tower or pylon make a great budget wakeboard boat. They are closed bow, but great bang for the buck.

I usually have about 7 people on my super sport at an outing, 3 of which are kids. Loads of room on the boat.

Just for reference, a super sport is pretty much a super air minus the factory ballast and tower. The aftermarket world sells everything to add those items if you so desire.

1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
hemiltonfleming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hemiltonfleming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 8:44am
Hello to every one I am from US and new to forum, This is my first post and lets makes the first post remember by me forever.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 11:16am
You might want to look at the '90-'94 barefoot and excel's too. I saw a beautiful '94 excel go for $8K not long ago. Those were both V drives, and came in open bow as well as closed bow. Had I bought one to begin with, I wouldn't have sold my boat this year . For wakeboarding, 90' and later ski nautiques don't put out the best wakes.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 6:09pm
-
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 6:28pm
I wouldn't worry too much if it was fixed by a factory dealer.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:06pm
95 and up V drives might be a bit out of the price range. But seeing that '94 last fall keeps hope for the 91-94 excel's and possibly barefoots. V'Drives have kind of gone industry standad for wakeboarders. DD boats seem to more so geared toward 3-event (no wake) applications. V-Drives also appeal to some for their interior layout (open, engine in stern). They handle rough water better with their deeper V hull.

Keep in mind the application you are looking for. I bought the wrong boat, and sold it this year. Had I waited, could have got a smoking deal on that excel last year which would have fit my family perfectly.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:11pm
The only v-drives you can buy in the 8-10k range would be an excel or early 90's barefoot. There might be a rare boat out there for that kind of money. But, more than likely you will have to sell the motorcycle to get a v-drive. But, talking from a guy that high sided a Yamaha R1 and it almost killed me, i think it might be a good investment.   

Don't get me wrong. I love motorcycles, but my whole family loves the boat:)
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:53pm
-
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 10:49pm
I remember from a previous thread that Excel's and Barefoots may not have gone to composite construction in 93 like the rest of the range. I think TXFoil was going to check his Excel out and post the results when it came out of storage. So pre 93 V drives will still have wood stringers and the jury is still out on the post 93 Excel/barefoot's.

Jody or Dave may remember what happened back at the factory with these models.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:18am
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:22am
-
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:26am
Post your pics! Then we can help. :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:29am
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:29am
-
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:33am
351 GT heads or HO heads whatever they are, protec ignition 285hp carbed motor. Always pretty solid motors. Some will say lose the protec ignition and go back to the older style. Others will say leave it unless you have problems. Looks clean though. I don't think I'd be afraid of it. Water test it of course.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:44am
-

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 2:04am
I'd say that's a pretty good price on that boat especially if the interior looks clean and you can tell it was pretty well taken care of. You're correct on what you want to look for. Something these nautique have that i/os don't have is 3 tracking fins under the boat. Check for any stress cracks in the gel around those and also check to be sure thy are all nice and straight. Idle the boat, take it up slo, take it up fast, sit at wakeboard speed for a while to see how it holds your speed there. Feel for any vibration that may be going through the boat. Put it in and out of gear a few times to make sure it shifts smoothly.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I'm on my cell. Lol
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 2:33am
It says protec on the carb / coil pack cover, however it looks like there are ignition leads up front where the protec module would normally be. There is also a lack of leads at the back where the protec coil packs would normally reside.

It may have already had the conversion.? Either that or its the 240hp base motor with a protec cover on it.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:00pm
Regardless of the protec or not, shouldn't it be 285hp based on the heads?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:24pm

Regardless of the protec or not, shouldn't it be 285hp based on the heads?

If its a Pro Boss, then yes- it would have GT40 heads and would be in the 285-300hp range.

Since it doesnt say Pro Boss on it though, it would more likely be the 240-255hp base 351w.

Either would have had the Protec, but like Andrew said, it may have been swapped out for a conventional ignition system. Tough to tell for sure based on the pictures.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:31pm
Interesting Tim, I thought those heads with the grooves in them were the deal breaker on the GT40 heads...learn something every day :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:36pm

Interesting Tim, I thought those heads with the grooves in them were the deal breaker on the GT40 heads...learn something every day :)

What heads and what grooves are you referring to? You cant see the heads in the picture I see above... am I missing something?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:38pm
I'm sorry, the big read things with white stripes in them
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:41pm
Ahh, those are the valvecovers. Pretty tough to ID the heads based on what valve covers are bolted to them.

If he were to post a picture of the end of the head, the number of "bars" in the casting woul help identify them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic