Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of glue do I need?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of glue do I need?
    Posted: July-11-2011 at 11:59pm
Got a pair of skis out of storage and this one is busted. Looks like the glue can apart at the joint.

What glue would ya'll recommend to fix this with. Will Tightbond III work, or would it be better to use something else?

Thanks

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:43am
I bet some 3M 5200 would work, its like the duct tape of the boating world.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 12:57pm
To fix that permanently I would put a few bisquits along the joint and then use a waterproof polyurethane glue like gorilla grip. Clamp it up good and give it day to set. Sand and put a fresh coat of polyurethane finish on it.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:56pm
I thought about sanding and refinishing the polyurethane. Problem being the decals.... would hate to lose those. The cypress gardens emblem on the back does not cross the joint, but there is a large one on the tip of the ski that does (you can just barely see it in the pic).

Thanks for the recommendation on the glue. Looks like this is probably the best choice. hopefully I can borrow a biscuit cutter from a friend.
karthur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 1:39am
Well, thought I could get a biscuit cutter from a friend, but it didnt work. I just glued it back with Gorilla glue and clamped it up good. Left it over night and took off the clamps. Filed the glue. It looks pretty good. We'll see how it does this w/e.

Hopefully it will stay together.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 1:50am
I am not sure what they used for finish or compatability but it would be nice if you could get an extra coat on it.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic