Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trany, starter or neutral switch???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trany, starter or neutral switch???
    Posted: September-17-2005 at 11:00pm
I rebuilt the transmission in the '84 Nautique. When I turned the key, nothing happened. I used a screwdriver to short the sylonoid and it started right up. I replaced the ignition switch and the sylonoid and it didn't help. The starter is new (I replaced the old one when I did the transmission).
Anyway, for the past couple of days I've been starting it with a screwdriver and it's been running fine. I took the wife skiing and then were cruising at about 1000 rmp and a noise started coming from the engine compartment. It sounded like a bearing was grinding. Looking back I guess it could have been the sylonoid clicking. (Oil presasure and temperature were fine.) I turned around and started heading home. It died but the rpms were bouncing all over the place. Then everything went dead (blower, bilge, lights). It sparked when I disconnected the the battery. I reconnected the battery but it wouldn't start, even with the screw driver. When I used the screwdriver, everything went dead again.
Can running it with a bad neutral safety switch do this? Is there a problem with the starter? Or, worse, did the bearning in the trany or the main bearing in the engine crap out. Any suggestions on were to start first. I'm guessing I'll order the neutral switch and replace the sylonoid and see what happens. Thanks
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2005 at 12:12am
Well, first thing is the second time starting it with a screwdriver and everything went dead means that the accessories were working until you bridged it with the screwdriver. If this is true, then you have connection issues somewhere in the main batt cables. And the NSS will not have any affect on what happened, but possibly the cause of the original prolem.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2005 at 4:26am
Ok, I just tried connecting the starter directly to the battery via jumper cables. The cables started heating up but the starter didn't engage. I'm thinking the remanufactured starter has a problem. I'm going to pull the starter and try it on the bench. I'll order a new neutral switch to rule it out. Any other suggestions?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2005 at 1:23am
Yes, your starter does some like it has issues and drawing way too much current. You may want to replace the solenoid where the starter might of damaged the contacts drawing that much current.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2005 at 1:39am
I talked to the folks at skidim today. They agreed that it sounded like the starter was bad. They're sending another one. I plan on replacing the relay as well. The old saying new doesn't equal good is true. Thanks.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2005 at 1:49am
Even though I dont believe in it, I often think of the old saying, "if it aint broke, dont fix it!)
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2005 at 1:44pm
The truth is "it is hard to fix something that ain't broke". You can work on it for months with no results.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 9:09pm
Still having issues...
I installed the new starter and a new relay for good measure. Turned the key and nothing. Bypassed the neutral switch, still nothing. Tried bypassing the solenoid with a screw driver. Got a tiny spark the first time but that was it.

Measured the voltage at the relay to ground...12V. Connected the hot side of the relay directly to the starter post via jumper cables, nothing. Removed the relay-to-starter cable and tried the same thing, still nothing. Moreover, I measured the voltage from the hot leg of the relay to ground with the jumper going to the starter and I got a crazy reading (-0.04 on a digital meter...who knows what that means). The voltage from the hot leg of the relay to the starter post (without the jumper) was 12V.

The only thing I can think of is the starter post is grounding out somewhere inside the starter. But, the jumper cable didn't heat up so I don't think there is much, if any current going to ground. I'm having a hard time believing this starter is bad as well. I'm stumped. Two bolts holding the starter to the bellhousing, a cable from the relay to the starter; is there anything I'm missing?

I'm getting tired of changing out starters (it's a real pain!). Any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2005 at 9:54pm
Seems as thought there is a connection problem somewhere from the batt to the engine on either the neg or pos side. The thing that thats saying that is you are getting no voltage with the jumper cables hooked up to the starter. A simple test is - do your accessories run? Turn on the lights and hit the key and see if the lights go out. If so, its probably a batt cable/connection. If it stays bright, then jump the solenoid like you did previous post bypassing the solenoid and see what happens to the lights. If they go out when you jump it, then again theres a connection problem. A scientific approach is to hook your jumper on the solenoid to the starter where you got the 0 volt reading in the last post, and take the voltmeter and go from the case of the starter(gnd) to the pos post on the starter. If you get 0v then do this. Take the voltmeter and go from the starter case (gnd) to the neg battery post (the post itself, not the terminal) and see what you get. Then do the same from the positive stud of the starter to the pos battery post(the post itself, not the terminal) and see what you get. If you get 12v on one, then that line with the 12v reading you just measured has a connection problem somewhere. Good luck!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 10:13am
...could it be your battery? Never overlook the obvious. A battery with a shorted cell can show 12V, but be unable to deliver any amperage to start the engine.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 11:10am
jimbo, a slightly corroded (or slightly loose) battery terminal can cause those exact symptoms. You can measure 12 volts, your guages and lights might even work, but when you try to pull enough amps to crank your starter, you get nothing. Remove your terminals, clean them with a wire brush, grease them, and tighten them down. ...Same thing on the other ends of the battery cables.

I hope it helps!
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 9:08am
Damn, the battery, I bet ya'll are right. I didn't think about that. I bet the battery shorted out when the starter shorted out. The battery is only three months old, so I didn't think about it. I replaced the cables and greased them last year and they are still in good shape. I pulled the battery and will have the people test it today. Thanks for everybody's help.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 2:13pm
Well the folks at Wally World said the battery was fine. I'll swap it with the one in my truck to be sure. Jumper cables directs from battery to starter (including ground and see what happens...
Any other suggests? What's that 50 Amp circuit breaker mounted toward the back of the engine for? I've directly bypassed it so it can't be the main problem.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 5:14pm
Are you using a deep cycle battery? Is your battery rated at 650 CCA or better? If it is a deep cycle put it in your bass boat, if it is less than 650 CCA use it in something else and a get a good marine starting battery in either case, just .02.

Jumping the relay is never a really good idea you can short things in a hurry, And I'm assuming vince told you to connect both wires to the same post on the nautral safety switch to bypass it. And if you are only getting 12v at the battery then it's bad you should see at least 13-13.5 volts and around 14-14.5 when charging.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 9:16pm
The battery is an automotive type with 540 Amps (450 cold cranking amps). I believe that was recommended for the 351W. The battery had been cranking things right up. I'll put it on the charger and give it another shot. Or just try the one from my truck. It might be a little low on the voltage, it has been sitting for a month. I'll check the main cables again for corrosion and such.

Most of the time I connected the two nuetral switch leads to the same screw. Some times I just connected the two leads with a jumper wire. I'll connect the two leads on one post and leave it like that until I get things sorted out.

What could I have shorted out by jumping the relay? What should I check?

Also, is there anything that needed to be done to the starter before bolting it up, like anything with the solenoid attached to the starter? I read about a "link" or something in the PCM repair manual.

Is there anything I could have done when removing or installing the transmission? The starter grounds to the engine block thru the bellhousing, right? I'm not missing a ground wire to the starter, am I?

If I simply use jumper cables directly from the battery to the starter (+ to the starter post, - to the mounting bracket) it should turn over or at least start to engage, right? I turned the starter bendix with my finger before installing it, so I know it turns freely.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 6:08am
Your battery is way under sized get rid of it and get a battery that has atleast 650 ColdCrankingA{B]amps. The battery you have would work fine for a 4 cyl engine but will not get the job done for a v-8 especailly one with a ford starter. It may have enought juice to turn the starter but it will not spin fast enough or have the extra juice to feed the ignition.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 6:10am
oooppps the bold lettering didn't work out the way I wanted it to.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2005 at 9:49am
Have you put a breaker bar on the Crankshaft pulley yet to make sure you haven't seized up the engine, possibly due to alignment issues when you reinstalled the transmission? Its much more likely a ground/starter/battery type issue but it would be good to rule out the unthinkable.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 2:34am
Which battery performs better?????????????

A full charged battery at -10F degrees

or a half charged battery at 30F degree's????????????

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 9:21am
I'll bite. Please be nice if I get it wrong. I think a half charged battery at 30F will perform better as colder temperatures really starts to effect performance (exponentially?).

Did I win?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 9:12pm
Cold cranking amps of a battery is based on 0 degress. Marine cranking amps (or sometimes referred as just plain cranking amps) is based on 32 degree temperature. So a 500 CCA battery will roughly produce 600 MCA. So if its half charged, will you get half the CCA? That is where it gets deeper in the reserve capacity rating of a battery.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 9:23pm
Hey JIMBO, have you had any luck yet?? Get it figured out??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 10:59pm
no, reserve on a battery? which one frooze?
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 6:21pm
Yee-haaa...
I crawled under the dash and the violet wire to the key switch had broken loose from the connector. I fixed that, bypassed the neutral safety switch, and replaced the 4 ga cable from the relay to the starter. It fired up!!!
By the way, trying the jumper cable directly to the battery doesn't work, I don't know why. I think it has something to do with the internal starter solenoid.
Anyway, it's running.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 6:29pm
SWEET to hear shes goin!!!
Does the starter have a built in solenoid like GM or does it have only one big wire to it like a Ford?? Just curious..
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 10:35pm
Jeff, I'm certainly not an expert on electrical systems, or engines for that matter. The starter is the Ford type, with one large cable connecting to it. In the PCM service book it mentions the starter relay and the starter soleniod (in the Ford section). It calls the thing under the cover that sticks out on the side of the starter the soleniod. Unless I got confussed. I always thought that was a capacitor to get things moving.
On second thought, I bet the current was going to ground at the relay because the problem at the key switch. It's like the key was always in the off position. This one really threw me for a loop.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 10:50pm
Now for the cold battery question... Half charged meaning 6 volts or 300 amps? Either way it wouldn't start your boat or car.
As for the really cold battery...Sulfuric acid freezes around 50F. Since sulfuric is mixed with water in the battery, it will freeze at a lower temperature. Because of hydrogen bonding I'm sure it's like antifreeze in that when mixed with water, it freezes at a lower temperature than the pure acid or pure water. Because of Nautique79's clue, I would assume it would freeze around -10F. If you could get some current to flow through the cold battery, it would warm up and get sronger. The more current that flows through the half charged battery, the weaker it would get.
Of course, I could be talking out of my a$$. I live in Texas and I can't remember it ever being cold enough to freeze a battery.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 8:17pm
Jimbo, I thought by the year of the boat that it was a Ford starter, but then I thought that maybe you had a different style. My new PCM 350 uses a GM starter, but its mounted on the PCM bell housing adapter that adapts the engine to the trans. I persoally have never seen this, but Ive only been around older boats and dont know what year they went that route. The GM factory block still has the tapping/mount for a standard starter. I was concerned of maybe posting info that may not apply due to a different style. Oh yeah, where we are, it sometimes goes to -20 below zero and the vehicles crank over and start, so the batt cant be frozen. Im no chemist, but if the battery is dead, it will freeze. If its charged, it wont at that temp.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 4:38am
I concur with '79; your battery is still undersized. We used to put that size on pontoon boat outboards. When they would mistakenly be put on an V8, they would be back next year with battery in hand comlaining of starting problems.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 8:34am
Ahh yes... there are reactions going on in the battery when it's just sitting. I forgot about that part. The reactions give off heat, which would help keep the battery from freezing. If the battery is dead, no electro-chemical reactions, then no heat, then freeze...hmmmm

As for the size of the battery. It's only six months old or so. When it's obivous the battery doesn't have the ummph to get things moving, I'll replace it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic