NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favorite TOY !

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favorite TOY !
    Posted: April-17-2012 at 6:30pm
Hey Guys,
What was your Favorite Toy growing up? Just look at what the Kids today get to play with

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 6:49pm
Keeping in the theme of this site, I had several electric toy boats. Some inboards very much like this one.

I also has some outboards that I liked because they made very good replicas of old johnsons and evinrudes.

Also had and enjoyed Lionel trains and HO slot cars.

And then, not so much a toy, but, I rode the crap out of a number of bicycles. Still have one today, that I bought in the early 80s (in my late 20s) but unfortunately definitely not of the calibre in the recent bike thread.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 10:36pm
army men and bb guns
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 10:58pm
Hot Wheels! Damn near fainted when I finally found the highly prized Python back in '68 ot '69.

Always wanted a Schwinn Cherry Krate or Orange Krate bike....but, never got one. Those bikes are bringing big $$$ these days.

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 11:10pm

It had training wheels before this pic. started at 2 years and 6 months old.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:17am
Lionel trains...had a big set-up in my parents basement. Son had it up till a few years ago. Lost in his divorce I think. Slot cars..not HO..I believe..028 gauge? Used to go to the slot car tracks at storefronts. A Red Western Auto 3 speed (!) 'English Racer' bike. My very own Catchers mitt when no-one owned one..you just used what the league provided 'cause nobody wanted to be a catcher!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:26am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Slot cars..not HO..I believe..028 gauge? Used to go to the slot car tracks at storefronts.

john

I still have a big wooden box full of my dads slot cars and the triggers that go with them even got some brand new motors for them
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:56am
I'm with Halston,still got it and will never let it go!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 2:50am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Lionel trains...had a big set-up in my parents basement. Son had it up till a few years ago. Lost in his divorce I think. Slot cars..not HO..I believe..028 gauge? Used to go to the slot car tracks at storefronts. A Red Western Auto 3 speed (!) 'English Racer' bike. My very own Catchers mitt when no-one owned one..you just used what the league provided 'cause nobody wanted to be a catcher!

john

When my brother and I were probably like 7 and 11 my dad built a big table and made us a nice Lionel layout. After some years he tore it down and sold the stuff and started a huge HO layout. After a year or so, the guy he was working on it with died and he lost interest. He tore that apart and we used the table for an HO car race track mixed in with a small HO train layout that I built, and at the other end, the bigger 1/32 race cars. We too took our 1/24 scale race cars to the "motoramas", the big store front tracks to race.

Eventually, that table was torn down too. Many years later, after he retired, my dad started another very ambitious HO train set. After several years he got too old to work on it. He was going to sell/donate it all, but I took it apart and saved all the components. My son and I built a small layout when he was young.

I eventually took it down, but again, saved all the pieces. I still have my dad's Lionel tin plate train from the 1930s with an engine almost identical to this one, about 10 cars and a station.

Chicomew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicomew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 5:02am
Gary, is that a Honda trail 70? I grew up with one of those, and my Dad picked up another one in bad shape from a neighbor a few years ago and put it back together. So much fun!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 8:37am
Lego all the way. Played hours and hours with that stuff...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Chicomew Chicomew wrote:

Gary, is that a Honda trail 70? I grew up with one of those, and my Dad picked up another one in bad shape from a neighbor a few years ago and put it back together. So much fun!

Honda trail 50 3 speed auto.

I liked all the "boy" stuff baseball, football, fishing.
"It's nice outside - get out there" Mom said that a lot.
Building .049 airplanes. Still working with airplanes today.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 10:01pm
I'm with Halston and Gary S. I have a 1978 Honda minitrail Z50 that I got brand new for Christmas. It cannot be bought for any amount of money. Needs some carb work, but it will run for short bursts.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 1:09am
Steve if you ever need parts these guys have been around a long time and are good to deal with.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 1:45am
Honda Z50. The thing would not die. I got an SL100 and my best friend would ride my Z50 as hard as he could. Both of those bikes burned in our house fire in '77.       Then I got a Yamaha YZ125.   

JBear, I also had the full size slot cars. It was better than HO's because you had to drive them. No "Magnatraction"

Actually, the best "toy" we had growing up was the swamp across the street. Frogs, snakes, mud and forts.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 2:22am
tull...LOL...huge ravine at the end of my parents street in Strongsville. Now a housing development but back in the 60's it was an adventure every day. Creek..cliffs on one side..trails..forts..tree houses. The ravine followed the creek for miles. Kids today got no idea!

going to the slot tracks with your big wood box of cars and parts on saturday morning. Racing kids you didn't know. Dang!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 8:52am
im with you John, a pack of matches and come home when the street lights turn on
"the things you own will start to own you"
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:25am
what are the slot cars you guys are talking about? HO cars?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Steve if you ever need parts these guys have been around a long time and are good to deal with.

Thanks, Gary. My problem for the last several years is that the bike doesn't get ridden enough. I'll tinker with it for a couple of weekends and get it running and then I'll get too busy or forget about running it on a regular basis. carb gums up and I start all over again. I can't get the carb right on it and am thinking about buying a new carb ready to bolt on and ride. My girls are now 7 and 5 so they are the perfect age.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:32am
Matchbox and Hotwheels cars.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

what are the slot cars you guys are talking about? HO cars?

Steve-- I know you weren't that 'Sheltered'!!

Here ya go

I had a 3 speed automatic Honda CT70. We took that thing camping with us. These 3 campgrounds had trails back in the woods.
My fav bike was my Schwinn 3-speed Chopper. Slot cars- Yes! We still have a local track--although the guy opens it at odd times . RC airplanes-- my dad still has his Piper Cub with a 6-foot wing span. He was a Fireman in his day and how he got that plane was the owner flew it into the top of a Pine Tree about 100 feet in the air. He laid the controls down and said- whoever gets it down it's theirs! So my dad leaves me with some stranger there that Saturday morning, gets in the car-62 Ford Falcon convertible 3-speed on the column, to get to that tree faster, and he's back about an hour later.
Of course now-about 10 years ago I got a RC Richard Petty Car- and then the other 'Big Boy' toys- the 66 and the 93 today.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Lego all the way. Played hours and hours with that stuff...

LEGOs, definitely
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:09pm
Lawn Darts and BMX bikes!   No swamps here to play in, we had about 1000 acres of undeveloped property down the street to build tracks on and take short cuts to other friends houses. Spent most every day on my bike until I got a my DL then those same places became usefull for other stuff.

I'm with Eric, matches were a blast too especially with WD40.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 4:01pm
Any Rock that could be thrown!! Any Game Ball!!

Peddle Cars to Bikes to Mini Bike to Dirt Bikes (first Honda was an XR75)

Evil Knievel Bike was pretty Kool
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 6:01pm
We had a ranch where we spent a lot of weekends. When I wasn't grubbing around outside, there was this (thanks Grampa). I must have played with this thing long beyond the age appropriate point.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 8:38pm
BMX Bikes, Go Cart on Dirt track.

Mostly playing with myself
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 11:39pm
This thing was my pride and joy as a kid. I paid $500 for one used and it was kept at our cabin in the Poconos. I was on that thing from the time we got there Friday evenings to the time we left on Sunday afternoons.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 12:00am
BMX, legos, and skateboards!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 12:49am
It's so funny that kids can't understand how much we were outside when we were young. My mom had to beg us to come in for dinner. She made us sit down for dinner, knowing that we would rather eat standing up so we could get back outside.
Probably my favorite toy without an engine was my rowboat. At 12 years old, it gave me a sense of freedom, much like a car at 16. My best friend Slurp (Jon Martin) and I would spend afternoons rowing our boats around the lake, or flipping them to use as rafts for swimming. If the wind picked up, we would bust out the sailboats.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic