Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Siezed GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:23am
Waterdog, beautiful Silver Nautique in your pic.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

, but on the chance that it may run how it is, I'll see what I can do. Yes, we hooked the battery up the other day for the first time. The low pressure pump on the bottom side of the engine near the canister filter thing buzzed to life for several seconds. I didn't hear the other pump, but then again I wasn't listening for it... and maybe it's not audible anyways. It did not exactly sound healthy, but maybe it's okay? I did have pressure at the rails, so that's a good sign I guess.
Jake

I'd try to get it to run too.      

On the pumps, both pumps are on the same circuit. When you turn the key to on (not start), the ECC will flip the pump relay and both pumps will run for about a second. If it doesn't sense the engine running (or cranking), it turns the pumps off. Since both pumps are on the same circuit, you can test each one. First, unplug the high pressure pump (inside the FCC) and power the pump circuit. You can jump a pin from the tester port to ground and that will make the pump circuit stay on when the key is on. This way, you can keep the pumps running. A quick test of the low pressure pump (assuming you've put new fuel in the tank) is to turn the pump on (with the engine off). The fuel flows from the tank to the pump, then to the FCC. The excess flows back into the tank, so if it is working, you will hear fuel splashing back into the tank from the return hose.

As for the high pressure pump, the proof is in the PSI at the rail, so it sounds good so far. If you unplug the low pressure pump and run the pump circuit, you should hear the high pressure pump (you can feel the vibration if you hold the FCC with it running).

Key to these tests are jumping the tester port pin so the pumps keep running with the engine off so you can hear.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:38am
Oh, on the starter, make sure you get one with the correct rotation! I doubt you can salvage it.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:59am
If by chance you determine the engine is bad, there is always:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Parts_Engine&postid=18032

If you had water sitting in the boat, the steering cable could have been compromised. How does the steering wheel turn? The blower motor is down there too..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 8:59am
Jake,
A deep cycle battery is designed and made for low amp draws over lomg periods of time like for a trolling motor. The starter on an engine draws BIG amps for brief periods of time. That will kill a deep cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 9:01am
Originally posted by AMB AMB wrote:

If by chance you determine the engine is bad, there is always:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Parts_Engine&postid=18032

If you had water sitting in the boat, the steering cable could have been compromised. How does the steering wheel turn? The blower motor is down there too..

Link for Al

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:18pm
Along with a new starter you can safely add new battery cables and potentially a new input seal on the transmission... been there, albeit with bilge-only flooding.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

Oh, on the starter, make sure you get one with the correct rotation! I doubt you can salvage it.

Gordon,
There is a good chance he can salvage the starter. Tearing it down and then a good clean up especially the armature commutator should do it. I'd suggest new brushes, checking the axial play on the bushings and making sure the Bendix is free should do it.

I had a oilless compressor for my boathouse aeration go under water when the ice took out the cribbing. It was under for better than 2 months. I took it apart, cleaned it up, put it back together and plugged it in!

The varnish used to insulate the the windings of any electric motor is not affected by water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:27pm
That will be cool if he can salvage the starter.

On the steering cable, I can almost guarentee you need a new one. One time the bilge plug worked its way out while wakeboarding my son and his friends. Didn't know until turning around quicky to pick up my son in the water when water came sloshing up onto the carpet by the stern (this was with auto bilge on and running--our prop packing was loose at the time so the pump would go on occasionally--didn't realize it had been on continuously). Cable was under water, and it tightened up by the next season.

The other time (the only winter my boat was outside) I once forgot to leave the plug out. Even with two covers, with a week of heavy rains (and out on a business trip so didn't know how much it was raining), I got water up to the bottom of the starter (and the steering cable under water again). That one was only two seasons old, but it went south just as fast as the new one.

Auto-bilge is always on and I keep my bilge as dry as possible all the time now (dripless prop shaft seal, etc.). Live and learn.     
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 8:07pm
While the boat was filled with water from time to time, the previous owner would stop by every couple of weeks and empty it out either with the bilge pump, or a hand pump. It was not submerged for extremely long periods of time (or so he said). The starter was not salvageable, so we had to purchase a new one. The steering cable is actually just fine! Steers pretty smoothly. All other vitals seem to be okay. I'm about to go out and reinstall the starter and see what she'll do. Before I do that, I'll test the pumps like you said. I think the engine had a pre existing condition that caused it to run rough and die, which is why he put it in storage. Because that was going to fix it, somehow? .. some people's logic is quite interesting. Anyways, I will update you as soon as I get everything put back together. Thanks so much for the informative replies! Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 8:21pm

The starter was not salvageable, so we had to purchase a new one. Jake

Jake,
I'm sorry you bought a new one. Who told you it wasn't salvageable and why? Was each winding Ohm'd out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 8:28pm

While the boat was filled with water from time to time, the previous owner would stop by every couple of weeks and empty it out either with the bilge pump, or a hand pump. Jake

You should ask him why he just didn't open the garboard drain!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I wonder if you have a greater chance of liver damage at a reunion than breathing acetone

Good one Gary, I think that statement couldn't be more true.

"Forget about the Apple-Pie Moonshine just load up the shot ski with Acetone"

Tim and Gary,

Granny's Liver is just fine. We used the shot ski on Saturday night at White Lake and then Tim, Joe, and Reid, skied with it on Sunday. Tim had the most success. He went about three miles and was cutting the wake. I think they invented a new water sport.

Eddie brought the clear stuff which made the Apple Pie look tame.

Sorry for the hijack but I wanted everyone to know that Granny is OK.

Donald
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:59pm
Pete, we took the starter to a guy here in Orlando who has always done us right... we trusted his assessment. I would have posted a picture, but we already turned it in for core charge... you could pretty much tell it had "become one". I just spun the engine over with new starter. Everything sounds good as far as I can tell. Haven't checked compression, but there is good, solid spark. Also, the fuel pumps no longer turn on. I tried using the test port as I had seen a picture of in AMB's post, but no pump noise. When I ground the connector, I can hear a clicking of a relay, but that's it.

When we arrived on site to pick up the boat, we immediately pulled the plug to which the owner replied, "Wow, I never noticed that there." I suppose I have to thank people like that. If they weren't around, I wouldn't be able to buy their boats after they ruin them!
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 1:19am
Just ran a quick compression test in the dark... Had 120psi in the first.. .and then 50-60psi on the next two. Needless to say... I stopped there. Am I most likely looking at a rebuild here, or would some running and use bring up compression? I guess if all of the remaining 5 cylinders have compression like that, it may not even run at all.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:45am

Pete, we took the starter to a guy here in Orlando who has always done us right... we trusted his assessment. I would have posted a picture, but we already turned it in for core charge... you could pretty much tell it had "become one".

I figured that's what happened. A auto electric shop really isn't set up to go beyond their normal test, bush and brush "rebuild" and the reason I mentioned it's something you can do yourself. Think about one thing - the starter has a core value because it will get sent back to companies that will rebuild them! I was too late with my comment to save you the expence.

That's a good story about the drain! You'll never forget it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:17pm
The last starter I had rebuilt cost $180. The new style PMGR starters can be found for $100-125. Unless your local shops work much cheaper than the ones here, its not worth rebuilding the old one, IMHO.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

its not worth rebuilding the old one, IMHO.

Tim,
I guess I have a tendency to work on older items than yourself and enjoy tearing into them to rebuild to a functioning condition. In many cases, it's also the only option as well. I also save a few $$$ in the process. A couple hours opening up a starter is worth my time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

its not worth rebuilding the old one, IMHO.

Tim,
I guess I have a tendency to work on older items than yourself and enjoy tearing into them to rebuild to a functioning condition. In many cases, it's also the only option as well. I also save a few $$$ in the process. A couple hours opening up a starter is worth my time.

In that case, I'll start sending you mine.

You must be a few steps "worse" than me, Pete... the only thing I own that has an engine built within the last 20 years is my 4Runner. That includes my inboards, outboards and all of my lawn and garden equipment- and of course, I work on them all myself. That being said, if I can buy a brand new starter for $100 as opposed to paying $180 to have someone else rebuild the one I have, thats a no-brainer. Im not opposed to cracking things open and learning how to repair them, but for such an inexpensive, readily available item, I guess Id just rather go skiing! (Or maybe work on one of my thousand other projects that I cant finish by throwing $100 at them ).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 3:59pm

I can buy a brand new starter for $100 as opposed to paying $180 to have someone else rebuild the one I have, thats a no-brainer. Im not opposed to cracking things open and learning how to repair them, but for such an inexpensive, readily available item, I guess Id just rather go skiing! (Or maybe work on one of my thousand other projects that I cant finish by throwing $100 at them ).

Just wait untill the time comes when you get married and possibly have some kids. Those deep pockets of yours will get real shallow in a hurry!

BTW, how are things going with Melisa?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:18pm
Pete, that is a good point. Lately I just haven't had the time to mess with too much. The new starter was only $120 and I can depend on it working for the next several years at least. If it was my old '66, I would definitely be more willing to pull it apart rather than tracing down another one. Also, since this boat project is being funded by my dad... it makes no difference to me. I have worked on plenty of electric motors, particularly outboard electric trim motors. Outboards are more of my specialty. Yes... the drain plug really astounded me. I wonder what else he didn't know about. So now that I have low compression on some cylinders, I guess I'm either left to find a new or used one, rebuild this one, find someone else to rebuild it, or make it do. I guess running it like this would just further any scoring within the cylinders. Anyone have any advice as far as which direction to go here? Thanks,
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:36pm
Jake,
Get it running, get some Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders and put some minimal run time on it. Then, do another compression test on it. If it's still bad, then you know there are still some issues. You have nothing to loose and at least you tried. You may even have some valves sticking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jake,
Get it running, get some Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders and put some minimal run time on it. Then, do another compression test on it. If it's still bad, then you know there are still some issues. You have nothing to loose and at least you tried. You may even have some valves sticking.

I agree. You are almost there anyway; worth trying it just to see what happens. Could be "fun".
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:40pm
Oh, you might want to pull the distributor and turn the oil pump a bit before you try to start it. I'd make sure you've got lots of oil everywhere (and hopefully displaced any moisture if there is some inside the engine).
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:00pm
I agree change the oil, pump her up and fire her up. Those cylinders may sort themselves out just fine.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:46pm

This gentlemen called me today and is rather motivated to sell his GT-40 might be able to get it for less then advertised and it is a great running machine http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Parts_Engine&postid=18032
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:22pm
Jody,

That GT40 looks like a great deal.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:37pm
Our relays for the fuel pumps was bad. We just hardwired the connection using alligator clips, and they both pump well. 40psi on the rail. The engine will spin and start briefly, and sounds alright. Our batteries died, but after a good night's charge we will try again tomorrow and see what we can do. I haven't changed the oil or bothered pulling the distributor, but that's a good idea. Pete, you may be right. There is a little bit of clicking from beneath one of the valve covers, so there could be a stuck valve somewhere. Not sure, yet. It looks like you must remove the manifolds in order to remove the valve cover. Jody, the GT40 you posted looks clean and all, and I guess that's a good deal (I haven't researched pricing at all yet), but with 1700+ hours, does it still have life left on it? It's a little bit of a drive from me, but if it's really a good deal, it may be worth the journey.   
Thanks a lot,
Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 12:52am
Jake, can't wait to see the new boat. Stacey told me about it tonight, and my jaw hit the floor when she told me how much you got it for. Call me when you get a chance and I'll get you Woody's contact info, he worked on my '96 and did a great job replacing the heads. He's as honest as they come and he knows a ton about these boats. Very reasonably priced also. Have your dad get my number from Stace or message me on FB.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:49am
Jake,
The exhaust manifolds shouldn't have to come off to get the valve covers off. You will however need a flex joint on a 1/4" ratchet to get to the outside cover bolts. It's tight!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic