NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Siezed GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jake,
The exhaust manifolds shouldn't have to come off to get the valve covers off. You will however need a flex joint on a 1/4" ratchet to get to the outside cover bolts. It's tight!

Forget that! You'll spend 3x as much time trying to pull and reinstall the VC's if you keep the manifolds on. Just pull them and be done with it!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 12:09pm
I use 2 long bolts in the end holes of the exhaust manifold.
Remove the other bolts and slide the manifolds back out of
the way on the long bolts.

It works good to r&r v/covers and exhaust to head gaskets.
Keeps the cusin' to a minimum.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jake,
The exhaust manifolds shouldn't have to come off to get the valve covers off. You will however need a flex joint on a 1/4" ratchet to get to the outside cover bolts. It's tight!

Forget that! You'll spend 3x as much time trying to pull and reinstall the VC's if you keep the manifolds on. Just pull them and be done with it!

since it's been under water, i'm sure the manifolds will just come right off...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

since it's been under water, i'm sure the manifolds will just come right off...

No kidding!! Be very careful of the riser bolts (the long ones). Two of the four (one on each riser) on mine sheared/broke off with little stubs sticking out of the exhaust manifold when I replaced my heads. It took multiple torching, etc. before I finally got the stubs out (and I had a fused manifold bold that I had to grind off). If the manifolds/risers come out easily, then I agree taking them off is probably easier than trying to take the VCs off with them on. But if you just want to get to the valves first and any of the manifold or riser bolts are showing signs of not coming off easily, I'd try to get the VC off first (since you want the manifolds/risers on to test the engine once you've checked the valves). Having to deal with problems with the manifold just to get them back on to further test the engine will add a ton of time. The manifolds/risers will need to be dealt with, but I think I'd want to confirm the status of the engine before I spent any time on sheared riser bolts or fused manifold bolts.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 3:43pm
If you take the whole manifold off as Andy explained, there's no need to mess with the riser's.
But as Nick alluded to they probably won't come off without a fight.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:58pm
   Bret, yes, it was a really incredible deal, and since we've been wanting a newer boat for a while, it all just made sense. We just called Stacey's phone and left a message. We also have Art from Southeast in the neighborhood, and he has been a great help.

Update: After a new set of plugs, it will start up and run good.... until it runs out of starter fluid. (The lubricated starter fluid, of course!) So it is apparent that the injectors are not functioning for some reason. They do have power (Confirmed with test light), but we don't see any flicker in the light indicating that the injectors are being activated. So, at this point, I suppose we have run into a computer related issue? As far as the valve covers and manifolds go, we will wait to see how it runs and then pull them off if need be. The manifold bolts don't look complete destroyed, but as you all have explained, I'm sure they will test my patience. After doing a little snooping around it does look like we could possibly remove the valve cover without touching the manifolds, but it is TIGHT in there.

A note worthy mistake I made today was to shoot the starter fluid into the intake with the little straw attached to the can. The straw ejected from the can into an unreachable part of the intake, so I had to remove the intake and shake it until the straw fell out. Luckily, in my furious tirade, I was able to remove, and re-install the intake in 10 minutes or so without any damage.

If anyone has any ideas about my lack of fuel supply, please fill me in! Thanks for all the help, Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

So it is apparent that the injectors are not functioning for some reason. They do have power (Confirmed with test light), but we don't see any flicker in the light indicating that the injectors are being activated. So, at this point, I suppose we have run into a computer related issue?

A note worthy mistake I made today was to shoot the starter fluid into the intake with the little straw attached to the can. The straw ejected from the can into an unreachable part of the intake, so I had to remove the intake and shake it until the straw fell out.

LOL on the starter fluid straw; I came VERY close to doing the same thing with some cleaner but it bounced off and didn't go in!

I haven't tackled anything on the injectors, but I believe the GT40 manual has a good set of tests to follow. It could be the computer, it could be the crank position sensor, wires, etc. I'd start with the tests and work your way backwards. Since you are getting spark, it would seem the computer is working, but there is a problem with the signals out to the injectors. I don't know how they are wired, so hopefully someone else has worked on them. Lewey in Australia seems to know a lot about the electronics on the GT40.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:57pm
Silver remove the 60 pin ECA connector and inspect the connectors. If water got over the relays it would have at least got to the computer connector height. I would then remove the computer from the bracket and inspect the circuit board for water damage. It has a rubber gasket around the outside of the housing that may have offered some protection from water intrusion. But if it was submerged I doubt it would be waterproof. As long as power was not applied to the computer ECM while wet it maybe ok. If the ECM is NBG that $2000 complete engine starts to look better.

It must have had almost a 10"-12" of water above the floor level for the relays to go under. Hopefully it never got higher than that.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 12:52am
The drive to Texas would be a longgg drive, but may be worth it. Or maybe he would ship it? The price seems to be good. The amount of hours does concern me some. I may need to get in touch with the seller. Lewy, yes the water rose to the very bottom of the boot that covers the connector you are talking about, so that may be the problem we are having. I haven't pulled it apart yet to assess it yet. I will do that the first chance I get tomorrow. Gordon, if this plug doesn't turn out to be the issue, I will go find the manual in the reference section and perform said tests. And yes, it was a stupid mistake that I will not make again. Although, the intake on the GT40 was engineered pretty well for easy removal. Only 5 or 6 bolts and some connectors to TPS, Idle control motor, and some other things. Thanks,
Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 12:49am
Update: Pulled the injectors the other day as well as the rail. I don't know much about injectors, but imagine they shouldn't be completely plugged with gunk. So I sent them to a local injector shop to be cleaned and reworked. The company sent them back saying they were "damaged beyond repair". So from that, I would tend to say I found my problem. (We checked again and had better inication that the injectors were recieving signal to open.) Lewy, I took apart the plug you were referring to. All seemed sound in there. What should I expect to pay for new injectors? I've heard everything from $50 to $200 a piece. Thanks a bunch,
Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 7:07am
Not positive these are the ones, but a good place to start. http://www.injectorwarehouse.com/injectors/Ford/mp2009.htm

These are for the 305 and the 351W.
TimSpangler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSpangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:06am
Direct Link

Not sure of the Marine application but they will be either 19lb (orange top) or 24lb (blue top). If they are the same a automotive I would go to a you pull it yard and find them. Ford trucks, vans, mustangs, etc. They may need cleaned also but if they are proven "bad" most yards will exchange them for good ones.

I had to do this for an old Mustang, during a cam install one went missing. Never had any problems with it.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:30am
Gordon, yes those are what I ended up getting almost. Got the entire set for about $50. They aren't the bosche ones that came out, but are the equivalent of an off brand. My dad was the one who ordered them, so I'm not sure of the specifics yet. Tim, yup, they are 24lbs blue tops. I believe the ones we got were for an automotive application, but supposedly, there is no difference. Anyway, can't wait to get the new ones in there and see what she'll do. I'm pretty certain this was the issue. It's evident all of the old ones were ruined by contaminated fuel. We are currently running off a remote tank, but can the FCC filter assembly be cleaned to ensure that no more garbage will get up in the rails/Injector? Thanks, Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 2:22am
All injectors are installed, and it started right up! Runs pretty well for not having been started in 3 years, being partially submerged for part of that time as well as being neglected it's entire life. :) It has a little water leaking from the intake manifold gasket area, so I'll need to check that out. Lots of smoke from oil that leaked onto the exhaust manifold. Seemed like it could also be getting hot running on the hose. I will confirm with the thermo gun. Pretty good progress for one weekend. Also, for any of you who were following my "'66 Barracuda" thread, the heads are almost back on. Maybe both of these rigs will have their debuts on the same day!? Does anyone know the proper oil capacity for the GT-40? Is it standard 5 qts? Thanks to everyone who helped and posted! Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 4:35am
Where'd you get the injectors for $50? Please let me know where your dad got them. I'm tempted to replace mine simply to see if my engine loping problem will stop (and it can't hurt to have new ones in place) although I have a couple more tests to do first).

I don't have my manual in front of me, but with filter replacement, I always put in 5 quarts.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:13am
Gordon, they were bought on Ebay. We actually ended up paying about $90 for the set of 8. They were used, cleaned, tested and flowrated. The vender's Ebay ID is "eazeefind". He deals injectors, so he may have some more on there. http://www.ebay.com/sch/eazeefind/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686 The blue top 24lbs are the ones you want. Hope this helps. Thanks for the oil spec. Just wanted to double check.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:14am
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:43pm
Thanks Jake!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

This gentlemen called me today and is rather motivated to sell his GT-40 might be able to get it for less then advertised and it is a great running machine http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Parts_Engine&postid=18032

Ugh, that would be perfect! Anybody here want to buy this engine and hold it for me until I can save up the $ to buy it?

Money, money, money - Jody's little motto about cubic dollars is so true. My day will come!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 4:01pm
Kevin, do you need a transmission too? Or just an engine?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:07pm
I have a 1.23/1 transmission from a 1992 SN.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I have a 1.23/1 transmission from a 1992 SN.

I'm thinking you might be better off with a non-EFI powerplant. This isn't because of the transmission, it's because of what was probably in your boat before.

You'd need a low pressure fuel pump at minimum and some extra electrical knick-knacks to get it all to work with a GT-40. I'm sure others would have more specific recommendations. The carb-GT-40 conversion has probably been done before but may not be the easiest route.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:58pm
Wouldn't all that stuff (fuel pump, electrical kick-knacks) come with a complete engine? Fuel injection was an option in 1993, and I (naively?) figured there could not be much difference from a 1993 PCM to a 1997. Please educate me. If I have to narrow down my search to a small band of engines I need to know. And - what would that band be? I need a standard-rotation engine and now I learn that it would need to be carbed? So, what is that, 1989 to 1993?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Wouldn't all that stuff (fuel pump, electrical kick-knacks) come with a complete engine? Please educate me. If I have to narrow down my search to a narrow band of engines I need to know.

Good question, I don't know. That might warrant a separate post.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 6:09pm
Good idea. I'll stop jacking this thread. :)
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 2:01am
Silver, I'd run it again, then do an oil and filter change, then run it again and do the same. Likely some nasty particles running around inside that motor you want to get rid of.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 2:10am
No problem, Gordon, let me know if it ends up working out for you. Kevin, with my experience with the GT40, it's definitely a high tech engine that has MANY more parts than a standard carbed 351. In 93, I believe they offered a fuel injection system called the "Protec". I hear it wasn't the best system and tended to break. You may be good just sticking with your current engine, unless you're set on more power for footing or what not. If you bought a complete engine like the one Jody posted, it should come with everything to make it run in your boat other than the check engine light and such. The fuel pumps are attached to the engine itself. To be honest, a carbed engine may be more reliable for you in the long run. Ultra, good call. That's what we did this evening. After repairing a leak in the manifold gasket, we ran it with fresh oil, and it ran excellent. (In the driveway on the hose) Changed the oil and found that the oil filter hadn't been changed since 2006. Flushed alot of garbage out of the cooling system while the manifold was off, and it seems to run cool now. Tomorrow should be it's lake deput if everything goes as planned. I will try to get a vid up. Hard to believe this boat was submerged with cat tails living in it, and siezed engine not a month ago.
Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

In 93, I believe they offered a fuel injection system called the "Protec". I hear it wasn't the best system and tended to break. You may be good just sticking with your current engine, unless you're set on more power for footing or what not.

The Protec was an ignition system, not a fuel injection system. It came on both carbureted (1991+) and TBI EFI (1994-1995) motors.

Joe has begun to catalog the GT40 specific components and has found that most/all parts are standard Ford automotive parts. Its a more complex engine for sure, and a little trickier to troubleshoot than a carb'd boat, but a good motor nonetheless.

A GT40 will have more power for footing than a standard 240hp carb'd 351w... but its not the MPEFI that makes it more powerful. A carb'd motor can be built up to the same (or higher) hp levels very easily.
TimSpangler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSpangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 11:31am
I believe that biggest difference in the GT-40 (at least I know from an automotive perspective) was the airflow. The GT-40 eliminated a lot of the airflow restrictions and generally allowed the engine to "breathe" better.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by TimSpangler TimSpangler wrote:

I believe that biggest difference in the GT-40 (at least I know from an automotive perspective) was the airflow. The GT-40 eliminated a lot of the airflow restrictions and generally allowed the engine to "breathe" better.

I believe the GT40 and the other PCM HO 351w's (carb/TBI) shared the same longblock (block/heads/cam/pistons). The only difference was the intake (and of course the fuel system). They all performed similarly well, and had similar hp ratings (285-310hp).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic