Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Siezed GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Siezed GT40
    Posted: April-27-2012 at 6:30pm
Hello, all. Just bought a 1998 Ski Nautique with the GT40 EFI. Has low hours, however the previous owner for some reason did not bother to pull the drain plug when storing in open weather. The boat, consequently, filled with water submerging the engine up to about the sparkplugs. We are trying to spin the engine by spinning the main bolt on the main pulley. There is no rotation, however, I suppose it could be stiff from sitting? There is no evidence that water entered the crankcase(No milky oil), but not sure about heads. Already pulled the rusted starter. Does anyone have any thoughts on either freeing the engine, or finding a new one? Thanks in advanced for help!
Jake.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 6:41pm
silver, You might do a search...   There have been several people who've freed up their engines, but more just from sitting than rust.   I think most do some penetrating oil (acetone and trans fluid are recommended often) in the spark plug holes, let it sit for a day, add more pentrating oil.   after a few days, you may be able to turn the engine by the crank pulley and a breaker bar.   I would anticipate having to do a complete rebuild, My guess is that the cyls and rings have "become one".     If you are not handy with engines, an new one might be better in the long run...but will definitely set you back a bit on the front end. Check with Jody Seal at FL inboards... he does replacements and may be able to get you a low hour removal.   I believe Kroundy is still looking for an engine too, if you don't want to mess with the old one.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 7:17pm
Aero Kroil

Buy a gallon.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Aero Kroil

Buy a gallon.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's the list of torque requirments copied from the other thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The home brew ATF and reducing it with a solvent is real interesting! I need to mix up a batch and give it a try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 7:43pm
That crank bolt has its limits. A crankshaft socket is a cool tool to have; even more so on a RH engine.

I filtered(Summit) ford/5.8-351/small blk windsor so double check the part app; and guys...why do they list a 5.8-352?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 8:03pm
Early fe blocks were 352 cubic inches, then 390 then 427.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 9:27pm

Aero Kroil

Buy a gallon.

Here's the list of torque requirments copied from the other thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The home brew ATF and reducing it with a solvent is real interesting! I need to mix up a batch and give it a try.

Aero Kroil - $45

ATF-Acetone - $25 + Liver transplant.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Early fe blocks were 352 cubic inches, then 390 then 427.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 9:40pm

Aero Kroil - $45

ATF-Acetone - $25 + Liver transplant.

Tim,
The PEL for acetone is 1000ppm. That's very high for a solvent. The MSDS doesn't say anything about liver damage. Get the facts first.

Now, you can use acetone for you huffing without too many worries.

Look at these for Kroil:
Severely Hydrotreated Petroleum Distillates 5 mg/m3 OSHA PEL
5 mg/m3 ACGIH TLV
10 mg/m3 ACGIH TLV-STEL
Light Petroleum Distillates 100 ppm OSHA PEL
100 ppm ACGIH TLV-
Aliphatic Alcohol 150 ppm OSHA PEL
100 ppm ACGIH TLV-
Aliphatic Alcohol 50 ppm OSHA PEL
50 ppm ACGIH TLV-
Glycol Ether 50 ppm OSHA PEL
20 ppm ACGIH TLV-

Plus, there is a statement in it's MSDS about liver damage!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

That crank bolt has its limits. A crankshaft socket is a cool tool to have; even more so on a RH engine.

I filtered(Summit) ford/5.8-351/small blk windsor so double check the part app; and guys...why do they list a 5.8-352?

Hmmm... another tool that I need to own...
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 11:04pm
LOL, acetone is fingernail polish remover. Ladies use the stuff in the house w/o ventilation all the time.    Maybe OSHA needs to audit the Mustang Ranch for workplace violations??
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 11:10pm
I wonder if you have a greater chance of liver damage at a reunion than breathing acetone
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Maybe OSHA needs to audit the Mustang Ranch for workplace violations??

God help us if OSHA get's into our homes. There are products we can buy at the hardware or grocery store that industry can't.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Hmmm... another tool that I need to own...

Maybe you can find one you can borrow? You won't use it very often, but the $20-40 will seem cheap if the nose bolt gives.

Another trick is to remove the balancer pulley and put 3" bolts in the balancer. You can then use a box end wrench over one bolt and lever against the next.
1988 BFN-sold

levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 10:18am
+1 on the ATF/Acetone, unbelieveable how well it works, we have old open quarts of ATF at the shop, just buy a gallon of acetone and have more than enough to last quite a while. Plus its a good way to discard old ATF lying around in the shop.
levin
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 10:24am
All this shade tree advice is rather amusing.
Their is a reason the motor is locked up. Rings have welded them selves to the cylinder walls. cylinder bores are rusted up and rings have been compromised, all this provided the cause is water intrusion into the cylinder's. If it can be made to turn freely by penetrating fluids breaker bars or whatever what kind of cylinder pressures are going to be expected? What kind of compression is it going to have, how well will the motor run? This list can go on and on. Utilizing a breaker bar could bend a rod or cause other damage in the long run.
Best idea is to pull the motor down address the problems and reassemble. Machining and materials provided the motor is not hurt should run less than $1000.00. But then again get that big breaker bar out and overall costs could run much higher!

Good luck!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 10:53am
Jody is correct. If the rotating assembly is locked up by rings/pistons rusted to the cylinders that light use of a breaker bar can't break loose, then it's time to tear down the engine. This is locked up :

It took soaking with kroil and using wood and a hammer to get them out! Anything can be rebuilt but taking the extra time will be beneficial in the long run.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

All this shade tree advice is rather amusing.

Agreed, but I didn't balk at a $40 tool. My line of thinking was based on where he said the water rose to.

If it sat without a doghouse and carb, then ...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

The boat, consequently, filled with water submerging the engine up to about the sparkplugs.

Jake, the plugs were in?

Am I forgetting a spot for water intrusion?
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I wonder if you have a greater chance of liver damage at a reunion than breathing acetone

Good one Gary, I think that statement couldn't be more true.

"Forget about the Apple-Pie Moonshine just load up the shot ski with Acetone"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 1:13pm
You know Tim I only get to see Don once a year,but acetone is just a 3 mile drive from here

I understand Jody's thinking you have a late model boat. But mine was a frozen 20 yr old boat, got it freed up in a week and used it all the next summer but I had nothing to loose. Go rent,borrow, buy a bore scope and look inside.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 6:28pm
Thanks for replies. We have had it soaking in PB blaster (similar to Kroil) and a few other things. Still no movement. Do you guys believe that an ATF/acetone mixture could free her up? I haven't decided what direction to go. I heard that a brand new GT40 retails at about $4,900. Considering that option. I really don't have the time to deal with this right now; I'm very preoccupied with my other project (1966 Barracuda). Another idea I had would be to find someone who will go through it, and call me when he has it running right. Would any of you experts on here be interested or know anyone who is trustworthy and knowledgable enough to get it running right? Time isn't a huge factor... we have plenty of other boats to play with for the time being. It would be great to get her back in good running shape, though.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 6:32pm
Buffalo, the plugs were in, but with it sitting at this water level for possibly a year or more (we're not sure how long exactly), water could have, and apparently did, seep through somewhere and seize it.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 7:37pm
Jake,
I know you said you checked the oil and it didn't look "milky". However, if water did somehow seep in, oil having a SG lighter than water, the water would be at the bottom of the pan. It takes running the engine with the water to get it to mix and turn the oil milky. Have you drained the oil yet?

The ATF/acetone mix is sure better than that PB junk. Didn't you see the torque specs in my previous post? Buying the PB sure is proof that "Madison Avenue" advertising sure can con many people!

Don't go wild with the breaker bar or whatever to get the engine to turn. Just as Jody mentioned, there are limits that could lead to problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 8:00pm

Jake,
I know you said you checked the oil and it didn't look "milky". However, if water did somehow seep in, oil having a SG lighter than water, the water would be at the bottom of the pan. It takes running the engine with the water to get it to mix and turn the oil milky. Have you drained the oil yet?

Even if it didn't actually leak in don't forget how humid it is where he lives and the fact a water filled bilge covered by a motor box would make an interesting terrarium input shaft on the trans could be rusty too. Don't ask how I know

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 9:44pm
FREE!! She broke loose and turns free! Seems like the Coca Cola and PB blaster mixture actually did the trick. Yes, we actually started loosening the nose bolt by accident. A combination of my dad with a crow bar against the flywheel teeth and me cranking on the nose bolt broke it loose. Now to get the starter rebuilt. We drained some of the oil off of the bottom and it wasn't bad. Also, when I pressed the shrader valve on the fuel rail, there was pressure! We emptied all of the bad fuel out of the tank and we're going to flush out the rails when we get a new battery in it. Is there anything else we should do before we install the new starter and start trying to get it running? (assuming it still has enough compression) I'm not familiar with the EFI engines in regards to electronic components. Thanks!
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 10:15pm
Jake,
This is good news! Just keep moving forward and see what happens. Once you get it running, a compression test would tell plenty.

Just one bit of advice and that is, do not get a deep cycle battery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:06am
Your low pressure fuel pump was under water. Don't know if it will still be okay or not since I don't know if it is hermetically sealed. As for the electronics, hopefully the relays, ECC, etc. were above the water line.

When you are ready, when you turn the key to the on position (not start), both fuel pumps (low pressure and the high pressure (the one in the FCC) should turn on for about one second, and then turn off. That will tell you two things: 1. the pumps are getting power, and 2. the ECC is turing the pumps off after one second (which they do if the engine is not running or the starter is not engaged). If you turn the key and you don't hear the pumps turn on and then off, you've got electrical issues or an ECC issue.

What about the transmission? That was under water, so I suspect there is going to be an issue there as well

As Pete said, just keep moving forward and take it one thing at a time. There are a good number of GT40 owners on the forum.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:16am
If the water was up to the spark plugs don't ya think the trans
is slam full of water ???
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:21am
Pete, what is the problem with a deep cycle?(other than the fact that it probably wouldn't fit in the battery compartment... Gordon, yes, a good amount of equipment was submerged. I am fully anticipating needing an engine rebuild, but on the chance that it may run how it is, I'll see what I can do. Yes, we hooked the battery up the other day for the first time. The low pressure pump on the bottom side of the engine near the canister filter thing buzzed to life for several seconds. I didn't hear the other pump, but then again I wasn't listening for it... and maybe it's not audible anyways. It did not exactly sound healthy, but maybe it's okay? I did have pressure at the rails, so that's a good sign I guess. The water level did reach the bottom of the electronic computer on the backside of the engine, but like I said...maybe we'll get lucky and it will be unscathed. As for the transmission, the fill cap had a good seal, the shaft spins freely, and the fluid was bright and red with no visible signs of water intrusion. We won't know until we put it in gear, I guess. Are there any major items that we should check before re-installing the starter and trying to crank? We will check spark and comp. as soon as we get the chance.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic