NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BAD BAD day - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 12:59pm
Andrew, you really need to spend some time on this project taking and posting some pictures, you have some of the most motor capable guy's I know following this thread, give them as much visual information as possible and I guarantee they will help you sort it out.

Good Luck!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 7:12pm
When you throw it back together.. carefully, then you do a compression test.. preferably before replumbing the fuel and ignition systems and adding new oil.. then report back results. Borrow a tester at the local autozone if you have to.. but definitely a good idea before getting it all done and fired up with water and oil.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 10:16pm
Possibly a cooling circuit test (engine isolated) at 15 PSI would be worthwhile. I think you can rent a radiator pressure tester from auto part store that would do this.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2013 at 2:11pm
Weel guys im going to get a gasket set and put the boat back as you all have advised.

I have been cleaning up all the sealing surfaces which is taking some time but im getting them smooth.

any advice on that? and also I have been looking at the summit racing fel pro gaskets and it seems there are multiple options. Whats the best buy for this application?
1986sn 2001
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2013 at 3:20pm
Use only marine parts and be really careful setting the intake to be sure it's sealed
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2013 at 1:51pm
looking at ordering the Fel-pro 17261 gasket kit from summit... can any one confirm? also any place better to purchase it?
1986sn 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2013 at 2:19pm
Seems like a lot of money must be because of the marine label. For what it is worth I used Felpro automotive gaskets for years with no problem. I have seen marine head gaskets for 30 ea on other sites, 90 more for all other the gaskets in that kit that are nothing special.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 2:19pm
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out if I ordered the correct gasket and I keep second guessing myself. I am questioning the riser gasket (square gasket between exhaust manifold and exhaust riser)

the ones i ordered match up perfect but one port is covered .

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-8504

can some one confirm if this is correct?

1986sn 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 2:39pm
The rear port is covered, which forces water up and over the riser instead of it all going out the lower one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 2:40pm
thanks TRBenj for the help. Im always greatful
1986sn 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 9:56am
ok so I got the Fel pro package today...

Im ready to re assemble this thing now. This is obviously the hard part for a newguy!

So first thing I need is any advice you guys have that have done this and also a torque spec for all the components that will need to go back on.

Hope you guys chime in and help with any tips or tricks or things yall found out after the fact
1986sn 2001
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 6:20pm
I'm sure some will chime in shortly, but I know this is a recommended book for reference.

small block

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 7:36pm
+1 on that book or you could go into the reference section and getting the spec's in one of the PCM manuals
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 7:58pm
My bad guys. I found the manual. I thought I had downloaded everything that the reference section had a while back and I couldnt find anything on it last night... went there just now and they have a 350 page manual right there...

stupid me... disregard dumb question about the torque

1986sn 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 12:30am
Well boys she shows life.

I haven't posted in a while but Saturday I put the heads, intake etc etc all back together and with some help from a friend got the boat to start and run. It idles fine and sounds pretty good. Next step is to time it, then check the oil for the original problem. Planning on changing it a couple times to clean out the oil plan.

Any thoughts? I have a water leak between the t stat housing and the intake. Only gasket I didn't replace.... I'll get that on do order and should be a quick fix.

http://youtu.be/W-MBVyYWHn0
1986sn 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 1:21am
Didn't get to watch but I hope everything works out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 9:38pm
Well all,

I fired up the boat again and got it to 160 to warm up the oil to drain and change

It looks horrible. looks like I havent solved the problem at all. I dont know where the water is coming from but I guess I have either the same issue or a new one..

Any thoughts? Im feeling pretty bad about this whole situation. any questions you all want answered to help better see what I have done shoot them to me
1986sn 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 1:39am
My plan after talking with several buddies is to drain completely what I have in there now ( tilted trailer to try and get as much out) then fill with 2 quarts of transmission fluid and 3 quarts oil and idle it to temp again. then repeat this with oil only a couple times.

I think it has residual water in the oil pan and on components that needs to be flushed out.

no problems starting at all today just bad oil...

maybe you all have lost interest but im still working at it. sorry for the dull thread.
1986sn 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 3:57am
Sorry it turned out this way
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 4:02am
I had a similar experience and mine couldn't be fixed never could find exactly where water was entering but suspected intake to head water jackets.

I ended up new motor 90hp increase to 350 hp and I've been a happy boatrr since but had to cough up the big bucks.
This is the life
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 9:12am
In the past 30 years, 2 or maybe 3 times over the years for some unknown reason we've sucked water into the oil on a 351 Waukesha/PCM. Every time it's happened the boat was kept out overnight in the driveway and we can't help but to think sabotage. Never replaced anything, no heads, no gaskets. 3000+ hours and no problem but I do recall it took quite a while to get the oil clean, several changes, run for 7 minutes or so then drain.   The last time it happened we thought surely a problem, took it to Correct Craft, all has checked out fine. Hopefully you just need to flush a few more times. Idk about the tranny fluid, I'd get another opinion on that.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:57am
Hey Andrew, I skimmed back over this thread. I don't remember how carefully you removed the water from the oil last time, did you do a couple of oil changes? Milkshake oil is persistent, can be hard to get rid of. I don't like the tranny fluid idea, prefer you use an engine flush product or 2 quarts of diesel fuel, diesel cuts the milkshake very effectively but only run at under 1,000 rpm for maybe 5 minutes, no more, then need a few more oil changes. Maybe tranny fluid works, I just don't have experience with it.

I hope it's just leftover water. In reading, I don't see if you ever had the intake checked for cracks, and not sure if you addressed the exhaust side at all. If you see the water again you'll have to go there. I know how frustrating this whole process has been but there's only a couple of places water can get in through.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 8:42pm
Ok sounds like I have a plan forward. The transmission fluid idea came from my cousin who is a master mechanic. said it has worked well in the past. no issues.

Looks like all is not lost!! I will update when I get back to the boat. Working like crazy lately.

I hope several oil changes works which in my mind should the more and more thought I put into it all. The cousin has done it with some pretty bad truck motors
1986sn 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 12:06pm
When you fire it up, are you letting the motor pull it's own cooling water or are is there some sort of fake-a-lake type deal putting positive pressure on the cooling system?

The reason I asked, is a while back on another thread JoeinNY described a scenario where cooling water can be let into cylinders that haven't started firing yet, if the exhaust manifolds are questionable. I'll have to dig that up to remember the exact science behind it, but just throwing it out there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 12:54pm
No i am letting her pull her own water. Basic bucket method. I have concerns with the water hose direct connection because with all that water just flowing and the motor not started I dont think its a great idea.
1986sn 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 1:00pm
If exhaust manifolds have internal cracks in the water jackets, they will leak water into the cylinder(s) if they are full of water.

There is no problem "forcing" water into the engine with a hose, there is no way water will get anywhere it doesnt belong unless you have a broken component (like an exhaust manifold, gasket, etc) but the same failure will occur once the engine is running anyways.

Of course, forcing water into the engine doesnt allow you to test the cooling system properly (if that is your goal), but it works just fine to run the boat on land.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

When you throw it back together.. carefully, then you do a compression test.. preferably before replumbing the fuel and ignition systems and adding new oil.. then report back results. Borrow a tester at the local autozone if you have to.. but definitely a good idea before getting it all done and fired up with water and oil.

Did you do what this smart(a$$) guy suggested? If you don’t have good compression in all 8 then you can stop messing around looking for external manifold type leaks and just start tearing it apart, if you do then it is back to checking the manifolds…
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 1:35pm
Actually I didnt. I reassembled and put pil and filter on. Then started it. It started up fine. and I ran it up to 160 temp. the temp held there.

then I drained the oil and found it to me milky. Thats where I am right now.

Plan today is to bring the boat back to my house and put 1 quart of transmission fluid and the rest oil. and new filter (do you think i need to put a new filter in it if im going to drain immediately after anyway)

after that I will drain it again and add oil.

Thoughts?
1986sn 2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 1:47pm
Stop wasting time and fluids and do a compression test... that last batch of oil would have bought you a decent compression tester at the local sears.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 1:51pm
I have a tester and can do a compression test... honestly just didnt think to do it after the fact
1986sn 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic