NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

broken prop shaft PLEASE HELP

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiquelover1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: broken prop shaft PLEASE HELP
    Posted: August-01-2012 at 10:33pm
I use this site almost daily, even just to browse around and keep myself up to date incase i run into any problems and i just want to say that you all are AWESOME, you have been very helpful to me and my nautique!

I bought a 1988 ski nautique 2001 two summer ago and it was the best thing i have ever done. I love it and will never ever own anything else besides a CC. its been amazing and reliable to me, however i unfortunatly let some folks take it out for the day today on lake tahoe and they must have hit a rock or something because they called me saying that the boat was taking on water in the hull. they were able to get it to a close by marina who pulled the boat out of the water before it got bad. when they pulled the boat out the discovery was made that the prop shaft had been disconnected and all 4 bolts were missing, the pop is in not so bad condition as i have been told over the phone (havent gone to pick up the boat yet) but the biggest problem i was told is that the prop shaft was torn off and damaged. I would really love some suggestions or imput as to where to go next. I have a very reliable inboard mechanic who will help me do the work but what im basically asking is how difficult it so to replace the prop shaft and how spendy it is. this boat is my baby and i realllly dont want to lose it. never ever will i make the mistake again of letting someone take it out. any information and input is highly appreciated.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:18pm
Braedon - What are friends for - of course, they pay your deductible . . .

Post some pictures. It is hard for us to understand the exact situation from text.

Search the site for 'shaft removal' so you can see what is ahead of you.

Recommend the ARE double taper shaft if you need a new one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:06am
i´m lost with the 4 bolts? coupler to trans flange?
have you talked to your friends and asked them what happened?
to me looks like the shaft coupler went loose..why? don´t know, probably misalligment...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:32am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

i´m lost with the 4 bolts? coupler to trans flange?
have you talked to your friends and asked them what happened?
to me looks like the shaft coupler went loose..why? don´t know, probably misalligment...

Yes, you are not giving us the proper info nor pictures that would be great. Seb is "lost" and i"m very lost!!! You must be as well yo not provide the proper info!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 1:55pm
No insurance on it ....they hit a rock which damaged the prop and tore off the piece that sits right behind the prop and has 4 bolts that go into the hull under the back seat. The shaft to me looks completly unharmmed and still looks straight as can be. I believe that the piece that is hanging (the one right behind the prop) was already loose before they hit the rock. The only other visable damage is the keel fins are bent and one has a crack in it. I will post pictures later today but any info until than is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Nautiquelover1988
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 1:58pm
well that narrows it down to the strut (likely what you are saying) or the rudder.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:08pm
yep strut or rudder seems to have taken a good hit, but I would venture the strut, as it most likely will pull the bolts. If it was the rudder it would break the shaft and not pull the rudder port...but heck everything is posible!
Take some pictures and we can confirm...
The prop drive shaft will need to be at least checked for straightness...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:17pm
"behind the prop" but that depends on which way you are looking at the boat! Aft or forward of the prop sure would have given us a better idea. I guess we'll just need to wait for pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:24pm
At least we know its rudder or strut..
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:47pm
sounds like the rudder is sitting on the bottom of lake tahoe
shaken not stirred
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 5:21pm
well then you think the title would, boat only goes straight PLEASE HELP
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 5:45pm
Sounds like it almost went straight to the bottom

Tahoe is beautiful, crystal clear water, lined with "sandy" beaches and chock full of granite boulders that look farther away through the clear water.

More damage is caused by boat borrowers than boat owners.

If the boat borrowers have any integrity they will pay for the repair.
This is the life
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by nautiquelover1988 nautiquelover1988 wrote:

No insurance on it ....they hit a rock which damaged the prop and tore off the piece that sits right behind the prop and has 4 bolts that go into the hull under the back seat. The shaft to me looks completly unharmmed and still looks straight as can be. I believe that the piece that is hanging (the one right behind the prop) was already loose before they hit the rock. The only other visable damage is the keel fins are bent and one has a crack in it. I will post pictures later today but any info until than is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Nautiquelover1988

I'd suggest the first thing you do is get insurance...it's cheap and well worth it. You might not always file a claim, but it could get you out of a financial nightmare if something terrible were to ever happen in the future.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 9:47am
Sounds like someone was haulin' it in shallow water. Time to see at least one friend's wallet on the table. If they were drinking...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by nautiquelover1988 nautiquelover1988 wrote:

I will post pictures later today but any info until than is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Nautiquelover1988

How about the pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 10:34am
If it tore it out could be some fiberglass and gelcoat work as well.
If my friends where nice enough to pay I would have the strut and drive shaft checked. That was a pretty good wack.
Mike
Lakedog55
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 6:55pm
The strut was ripped off when they hit a rock with the prop. I believe it was already loose so it didnt take much for it to tear off. Does anyone on here have a used or spare prop for this boat for sale at a decent price, it would be greatly appreciated. The keel fins were also bent but i was told these can be repaired. The only other problem i need to fix is thay where the cupling and shaft meet the small brass or metal piece that screws onto thr shaft is loose, and the silver metal ring like pieced that goes before that is free spinning, how should i tighten it so there is only a few drips per second from it. Thanks for all the response.   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 6:57pm
Sorry for the typos, im typing this from work on my phone
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 7:57pm
* brass piece that screws onto the cupling is unscrewed and the silver ringer that sits before that is free spinning. How far down shld i screw the brass piece onto the cupling and what shld the silver metal piece with the wholes in it be fastened to?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 9:43pm
I think the brass pc you are referring to is the gland nut. That should be adjusted for 1 drip every 10 seconds.    I may be off track because I don't see how this could have come loose during the grounding.

The silver ring should be set about 1 inch in front of the stuffing box (re: brass gland nut above). The safety collar (silver ring) is just held in place with set screws.

Good luck with your rebuild.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 9:51pm
That sounds about right, thank you very much for the input. Any other advice is greatly appreciated
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 9:57pm
Pictures are still needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 3:25am
I have to see this. Pictures please!
83Ski
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2012 at 6:01am
No more advice until you post pics
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic