Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 Nautique Trans slip...nothing in forward

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nate M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 Nautique Trans slip...nothing in forward
    Posted: August-10-2012 at 6:59pm
So I'm working to solve a trans issue in a 1986 Nautique 2001 with 351. The boat idles and plows forward in neutral? When put into gear the engine just revs...flued levels are good. In reverse the trans grips right up and moves in reverse as it should????

What are the repair options for these transmissions? I am brand new to Nautiques but have been a long time fan and am not sure about these trans and what a full service overhaul takes? I am mechanical and work on my own vehicles but not sure if this thing takes special tools or what? Where can parts be sourced?

Thanks,

Nate
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:12pm
check out Fantastic finish marine,   its about ~900 or so to have the trans rebuilt. once they start to slip it's all over, and they need new parts.    Eric Lavine has been a contributor on this site for a long time and is well respected for his trans rebuild skills.    Very few people who attempt a rebuild by themselves have succeeded, and there are some pretty mechanical guys on this site.   If you do decide to rebuild yourself, you can get parts at Discount inboard Marine (skidim)

Here is a link for FFM http://fantasticfinishmarine.net/
Nate M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:18pm
Thanks Dreaming!

That gives me a ball park for the rebuild...900 seems reasonible to get back in top form.

Does Eric have a user name on these boards? Hearing that the job is a big challenge also helps me lean towards the rebuild...if someone popped in and said "the rebuild is about a 4 hour job and xyz part is almost always the issue" I would lean towards doing it myself.

Thanks!

Nate
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 7:24pm
Eric Lavine goes by his own name I belive.   I am a DIY'er usually also, but with the horror storries I have heard here, I am leaning towards sending my trans off when the time comes.   Give the shop a phone call for any info, and shipping instructions/pricing. Eric is online much less these days, so you may or may not get an online response from him. I have heard that if you fit the trans into a milk crate, zip tie a piece of ply to the top and you are ready to ship.   
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 9:10pm
+1 Though it might be worth disconnecting the trans cable and checking the lever by hand.

Fantastic Finish Marine
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 8:18am
Nate,
I just want to confirm everything stated so far and yes, it's slipped and is now gone over the edge.

Yes, very few have done a trans rebuild and have been successful. Searching old threads will give you lots of info.

Some have even had issues with so called "pros"!!!

Send it off to FFM - I would do the same and, I'm "mechanically inclined"!!

DO NOT try one of the automotive ATF "fix all" fluids. The marine trans really has nothing in common with the automotive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 10:03am
nothing i can add....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:38pm
good to see you Eric
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2012 at 10:02am
been busy, they found out about my foreman skills and put me in charge of the welding crew at work
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic