Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whats a good line length for slalom behind a 2001?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats a good line length for slalom behind a 2001?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MuskokaCanada View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuskokaCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats a good line length for slalom behind a 2001?
    Posted: August-29-2012 at 4:18pm
If you were trying to minimize the wake what speed and line length is best behind an '80's 2001 SN?

I'm assuming the faster the better but we're total noobs so 34mph prob won't be super comfortable.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 4:19pm
28 off.
Tubing Sucks.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 5:05pm
30-34 mph best small wake with that boat will be 28 off and shorter.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 1:05am
28 is going to be very quick. It will have a better wake there but I don’t think it is the best length to learn how to properly slalom. If you have good form and technique, you can slice through the wake at 15 or even long line.
83Ski
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 11:20am
30mph+ is the magic number for me. There is more of a speed bump at that speed than a wake. 15off on the rope.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 6:28pm
I remember 15 off being a good length. Keep your ski on edge and it slices through the wake like a warm knife through butter.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 7:07pm
I disagree about 28 off being too fast. You can make it as fast or slow as you want. In addition to the smaller wake you'll be encouraged to quit pulling at the second wake and begin a pre-turn. I've had quite a few friends stuck with terrible form at 15 off make significant progress by moving to 28. Skip 22 because that's the rooster tail. Don't be afraid to try it. If you don't like it go back to 15 off.
This of course assumes you're free skiing but if you can learn a proper cut, pre-turn and turn at 28 because you're not afraid of getting launched, you can apply that to maintaining form in a course at longer lines should you ever start skiing bouys.
My two cents!
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

I disagree about 28 off being too fast. You can make it as fast or slow as you want. In addition to the smaller wake you'll be encouraged to quit pulling at the second wake and begin a pre-turn. I've had quite a few friends stuck with terrible form at 15 off make significant progress by moving to 28. Skip 22 because that's the rooster tail. Don't be afraid to try it. If you don't like it go back to 15 off.
This of course assumes you're free skiing but if you can learn a proper cut, pre-turn and turn at 28 because you're not afraid of getting launched, you can apply that to maintaining form in a course at longer lines should you ever start skiing bouys.
My two cents!

I second that! Also I teach skiers to pull spray to spray and edge change on the second side of the wake at the white water. This pretty much goes for all speeds and short line. Teaching good technique can be done at shorter line lengths and even the mini course is easier to navigate at 28 off as their is not a massive wake to contend with.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

My two cents!

Yep, Free skiing at 28 off is awesome. Just do it and you will never go back to 15 off.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 12:47am
+4 I agree...shorten it up and work on your form if you're just free skiing.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:58am
"Whats a good line length for slalom behind a 2001?"

About 15 off behind a different boat

Just having fun. I've got one of these old tubs I'm putting back together as well.

BKH

B
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic