Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

floor repair and exploration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
yangqing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yangqing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 6:37am

As far as I'm concerned,Diablo 3 is very intersting. Buying Diablo III Gold from vipdiablo3 is the most convenient and fastest way.I can always get a secure delivery within 15mins minutes ,they can always make sure my enjoying not being disrupted and having execute more exciting:
Runescape Gold
Diablo 3 Gold
Guild Wars 2 Gold

teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 12:21am
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Did you find the boat tin canning?

not much but I have it supported on jacks and that is one reason why I decided to replace one at a time
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 12:13am
Did you find the boat tin canning?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 11:47pm
I got the first stringer in. As you can see I need to add more Cabosil on the next one. Was able to add a little bit of a fillet with the excess but will come back to add some more when it dries.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2012 at 9:21am
I thought it was the t-neck that held in the 'CCFunk'. My bad.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2012 at 8:45am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

my surprise was that Pete was not wearing a t-neck..gotta be cold up north. bet that he has a monogramed shirt on tho....
john

John,
Actually I did and have been wearing a T-neck plus some heavy shirts (sorry no monogram) since I've been spending so much time out in the new empty plant. It's been cold out there since there are only two heaters in all of the 200,000 sq. ft., open dock doors in the warehouse area and no equipment yet. The lack of heat was planned since when we get the blow molders running, we we actually have excess heat. In summer, we will have fan coils with chilled water trying to get the heat down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2012 at 12:41am
my surprise was that Pete was not wearing a t-neck..gotta be cold up north. bet that he has a monogramed shirt on tho....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2012 at 10:29pm
It all gets fixed around here. I bet you could type gobbldy gook and someone could decipher it.    
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2012 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by teelta teelta wrote:

I have read in some threads that some put down some fiberglass between the hull and stringer bottom. What is the purpose of this?

This is to reinforce the hull when going no foam. It's thought that CC on later models used the foam it add rigidity to the hull skin.

Pete's not wearing a t-neck today.

Specifically, the glass and resin put between the bottom of the stringer and the hull is to make up small differences in fittment. It's not to take up slop, so try to get the stringer close.

Wow, I sure misread this one!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have read in some threads that some put down some fiberglass between the hull and stringer bottom. What is the purpose of this?

This is to reinforce the hull when going no foam. It's thought that CC on later models used the foam it add rigidity to the hull skin.

Pete's not wearing a t-neck today.

Specifically, the glass and resin put between the bottom of the stringer and the hull is to make up small differences in fittment. It's not to take up slop, so try to get the stringer close.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2012 at 8:56am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2012 at 2:55am
When I was bedding my stringers I used some Matt and epoxy thickened with milled fiber and some cabosil to fill in the gaps where I didn't get the new stringers matched to the hull. When bedding them down the thicker the epoxy the better, almost a peanut butter consistency. You will find that it will try and find the lowest point. Hope this helps, Monty
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2012 at 2:39am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

FWIW My suggestion to go with heavier grit is to aid a possible mechanical grip to the chemical bond. When you get down to where you want to be with the 36 grit, don't be afraid to bounce it for deeper grooves.

Ok makes sense. Thanks.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2012 at 11:37am
FWIW My suggestion to go with heavier grit is to aid a possible mechanical grip to the chemical bond. When you get down to where you want to be with the 36 grit, don't be afraid to bounce it for deeper grooves.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2012 at 9:32am
Trey,
Greg is correct that the gel has got to go. You need to get down to some good glass for the new to bond to and tie into the old structurally. If you have been reading some of the stringer threads, you should have noticed this step is important. Gel is simply decorative and not strong.

How about some pictures so we can take a look. I'd hate for you to get too far and skip over some other steps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2012 at 6:11am
If the gray splatter is in the bilge area, then it's probably gel. You'll want to cut that back for new glass to adhere. I'd use 36-50 grit on a flapper wheel.

Did you figure out the canning yet? If not, think of a coke can without its inner structure(coke). The sides 'can' easily when unsupported. My guess, based on the age of your boat, is that you will have zero to minimal flex to worry about.
1988 BFN-sold

teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2012 at 1:16am
Got the main stringer formed and almost ready to go in. I have this grey spattered material (gel coat or resin?) in the bilge. How do you prep that to lay fiberglass on? Just rough it up with 60-80 grit paper?   I wasn't planning on sanding the bilge smooth? Same with other side of stringer?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 8:04pm
This pic is all resin piled up where the base of the stringer was. You can see where I thought I was ready...    Had to go back and cut all of that out. The dark area under the old stringer is the hull.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 7:54pm
If anything, you'll need to build with modern materials to make up thickness. And that channel wasn't part of the original pop from the mold/mould? I had resin piled up in those areas, and I wanted to get back to glass(or close to it) for the rebuild.
1988 BFN-sold

teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 7:38pm
Got a stringer out. Couple of questions...there is a channel in the fiberglass now that the stringer is removed. Even if I grind it down there will still be a channel there, which is fine I guess because the new stringer will go right back in unless I need to move it over an 1/8" or 1/4" to allow for thicker fiberglass (several layers to attach to hull and several layers to attach floor) than what was original. I'm not sure how thick the fiberglass will be on the inside (bilge side) of the stringer and want to plan so the engine cradle will fit.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 2:49am
Originally posted by inglesideshawn inglesideshawn wrote:

The older boats must of had thicker glass, mine would flex with the lighest weight. That made it hard to fit the new stringers, even doing them one at a time. platform blocks were a sandwich of halfinch ply and glass,and rounded off the corners .I realy liked the diamond wheel.

I was going to take out both main and secondary stringers on one side only tomorrow. Should I just do one of them at a time instead?
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 2:40am
The 80 sounds like a great winter project...
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 2:22am
The older boats must of had thicker glass, mine would flex with the lighest weight. That made it hard to fit the new stringers, even doing them one at a time. platform blocks were a sandwich of halfinch ply and glass,and rounded off the corners .I realy liked the diamond wheel.
1989 nautique
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 1:37am
What is oil canning? How did you cut off the blocks? Chisel them out? Did you use 1x6s or plywood?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 1:36am
Shawn,

We are tearing in to our 80' Martinique project, you should stop by and give us some pointers, just down the road!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 1:27am
Mabe its just the 89s, but the hull kept oil canning and that was the reason for me going with the foam again..Its possible to make it better than new,you can see why the parts failed, and what should be done to keep that from happing again.. Oh and dont forget to do the platform brackets, their was just mush in their.. Make the new blocks double thick so the lags dont go through.... and mine all four were the same..
1989 nautique
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2012 at 3:15pm
A can or 2 of liquid courage got me through my project.
I think I spent almost as much time reading stringer threads as actually working on them. Monty
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2012 at 2:36pm
70% of my main stringers are good. Most of the damage is around the pylon area where there was no fiberglass on top of the stringers.   I wish I could just replace that area and be done with it but it sounds like a lot of people regret doing that in the long run. My thought is however I decide to do it - foam, no foam, plywood over foam or fiberglass over foam...it will all be better than factory and if it has lasted almost 24 years from the factory then it will last even longer after I get done with it. As long as I can get over my fear of cutting those stringers!
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2012 at 2:29pm
I know I have this job coming up cause I know the history of my boat. I'm a believer of floatation just not foam in the current process
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2012 at 2:22pm
if there was no foam in these boats we would not have to do all these stringer jobs .
until they design a foam product that doesn't soak up water don't put it back in the floor.
my 2ยข
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic