NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1 mystery solved... another presents

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 mystery solved... another presents
    Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:26pm
Pulled the heads today(well port side so far) and confirmed what I suspected from the leak down. Got 2 leaky exhaust valve seats and atleast 1 intake seat. Not sure if the guy ran crappy gas or what, but 2 of the seats were caked with carbon 30% of the way around. Id expect that on a 1000+ engine, but not a sub 500hr. Luckily no cracks, or obvious bent valves, etc. Block/pistons looked fairly normal, excluding the cylinder with both valves leaking. It was pretty carboned up compared to the rest. But all the cylinders were smooth so plus there. When I get back in town I'm gonna head down to the machine shop and have him do a valve job and clean up. The good news is it solves my lack of power issue(no power/accel at BF speeds), the bad is I can't confirm or disprove that my stem seals were causing the minor smoking I was getting at idle. Unless he notices something odd I'm going to reuse the stock springs/valves and just have him replace all the seals. So guess the smoke test will just have to be starting it up after I put the heads back on and see if it went away. Fingers crossed.
'94SN Restoration underway...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic