NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The journey
    Posted: February-23-2013 at 1:50pm
I'm finally in front of my computer to upload some photos from my boat pickup. It was a nerve racking 5 hour drive from Cedar Rapids to Milwaukee. The trailer brakes were in sketchy condition, lights didn't work, tires were dry rotted, and the wheel bearings condition unknown.

I proceeded very slowly to the nearest gas station and put some air in the tires, keeping my fingers crossed they wouldn't blow. (I did bring 2 spares)

Here she is hooked up to the 4Runner for the first time.

The obligatory first Nautique photo.

The "Hell yea I finally got one" photo

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 1:55pm
First of three fuel stops. The 4Runner's V8 did great for power but it slammed the gas on those hilly country roads. I could almost see the needle moving.

Crossing the Mississippi

Arrival at the heated winter home. It had been sitting out on the PO's driveway in this brutal winter. I like to think of this about the same as bringing a starving puppy inside.

Next to its new play friend......a 1968 DeHavilland Twin Otter
1999 Ski Nautique 196
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:00pm
Very nice first Nautique!    Congrats!

Al
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:21pm
Thanks Doc!

Someone left some presents for me in the bilge!!!! New Tools!!

How I found the steering cable and arm.

Model - PLPRR12PP What is the HP rating on this?

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:29pm
Great Chris - Congrats! Looks good.............
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:34pm
Congrats, very cool boat. Is that hanger in Sturtevent? Not too far from me, I am about 8 miles nw of great america.

Looks like it has that funky rudder, get a pic posted, changing that to a standard is supposed to be a big improvement.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:35pm
Glad you had an uneventful trip.If you ever take any long trips with her you'd most likely be on interstates anyway and you'll be happy to have the V8. Towing my lighter Mustang with a 6 cylinder Jeep is fine until you hit the rolling hills of Georgia,then the cruise control has to come off. You planning a startup soon? If you put it in gear make sure you lube the strut bearing.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:54pm
Quinner that's the one. The boat (and I) are at the Sylvania Airport. I drive past your house a lot on the way to O'Hare from Milwaukee. I'd love to have you come take a look at the boat sometime so you can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Gary thanks for the heads up on the strut bearing. I'll look into this today.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:57pm
Are you planning on firing it up today??
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 2:59pm
Thats awesome man! Love 176's. You saved it from an unworthy owner and now its your mission to bring it back to its former glory. (it will repay you in full). Looking in the side view mirror and seeing the shape of your very own Correct Craft is a feeling like no other.

I remember bringing my boat home like it was yesterday. No problems other than the windshield shattered about 20 minutes from my house. Stopped to fill up every two hours on the nose. I still get that same feeling when I see it behind my truck. I was pretty nervous like you. Old tires, unknown bearing, condition, no trailer lights and two 19 year old kids on a cannon ball run back to Indiana. Breaks actually worked for 5 or 6 years after. Wired some lights in a Bass Pro parking lot in 100 degree weather.

Couldn't have been more proud of my little R/T Dakota either. It was so hot out Pre Detonation happened on 87 fuel. Had to run pump premium untill we hit Tennesee.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 5:05pm
Someone just took honors for best shop ever!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 5:47pm
Cool Toys, unreal shop.......billy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 5:55pm
Thanks everyone. In all fairness I don't own the hanger but holy hell am I glad I get to use it.

Quinner it's not starting today. I'm changing the oil right now and I have to track down some tranny fluid. Just installed the new battery and all is well so far.

Anyone in the area that wants to stop by my number is 414-559-two one one five.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 7:09pm
PLP = 285hp

V8 in a 3rd gen 4runner, wtf? Better explain!

Cool 176, congrats.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 9:48pm
Benj the V8 4Runner, as I've come to find out, is a pretty rare model. It was the "Sport" with the scoup on the hood. I love it.

Well I did a little work on the 176 today. Oil is draining overnight, new battery installed, electronics checked, radio ok, and steering cable un-bolted from column.

Here is the odd rudder. Every line on this boat is pretty until you get to this. Looks like a polish hockey stick.

Stupid question.......Is the blower supposed to be hooked up to something? It would make more sense if it was attached to something

Water strainer was caked with mud. I got it cleaned out but the O-ring didn't look so hot. That will need replacing.

Here is a picture of the "shop" aka hanger.

Plus I found a sale on the greatest filters ever made. I bought the entire shelf in case you guys need any.......just let me know
1999 Ski Nautique 196
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 11:34pm
Congrats! Cool boat. The 176 is to the 196 as the Tiques are to the SN's (so I am a fan).

I'll buy 10 of those Frams off of you.

Yes, the blower should be hooked up to something that looks a lot like flexible dryer vent hose.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Yes, the blower should be hooked up to something that looks a lot like flexible dryer vent hose.

That further connects to the white plastic fitting into the stringer over by the starboard transmission mount.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:13am
From the blower into the white plastic hose on the right side of the bilge in this pic. Nice purchase! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:54am
looks like a lot of water has been in the bilge while it was being run. you can see the staining on the muffler and tranny from water being thrown up by the coupler, so you should check that shaft packing and the bilge pump operation.
clean all that stuff up nice. wash out the bilge.
This is the life
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 11:32am
Chris - In your 'Hell Yea' photo - my 15/16 socket is still on the trailer fender!

Glad you got it home!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 12:53pm
Chris I didn't see it in the photo. Was it a 3/8ths or 1/2"?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 1:27pm

Benj the V8 4Runner, as I've come to find out, is a pretty rare model. It was the "Sport" with the scoup on the hood. I love it.

Here is the odd rudder. Every line on this boat is pretty until you get to this. Looks like a polish hockey stick.

There was no v8 offered in the US 3rd gen that I'm aware of- you sure that wasn't a conversion by a previous owner? Pics would be cool! 4.0l or 4.7l?

N3 has the upgrade 176 rudders in stock for a reasonable price!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 3:28pm
Chris - Just thought I saw it & thought , well there it is!

However, when I zoomed in on the photo, it was just fender rust. I bet it is in the PO's snowdrift.

This is the place I think I left it though:

My bad for being forgetful.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:15am
Quinner are you around tomorrow if I try to start the boat?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:29am
As nice as that boat is, I still prefer the Dehavilland.
Congratulations.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:33am
I have original upgraded 17'6" rudders in the shop. That was the only boat made with that size rudder shaft.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 1:20am
Zach when you get to work tommorow can you post a picture of the upgrade rudder so us uneducated can see the difference?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 1:32am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There was no v8 offered in the US 3rd gen that I'm aware of- you sure that wasn't a conversion by a previous owner? Pics would be cool! 4.0l or 4.7l?

N3 has the upgrade 176 rudders in stock for a reasonable price!

nice boat. but as a toyota guy, i'm totally intrigued by your v8, 3rd gen 4runner. i'd also like to know what v-8 and year model it is. i knew there was a supercharged 3400 but never heard of a v8. does it have rear diff lock?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 5:16am
Congrats on the new boat!!

Just like phatsat67 stated, I too remember the first time I hooked my new boat to my car... Still see her lines in my sideview mirror that first time
Get that feeling everytime I hook op the trailer to the car, especially every spring, when I get her out of the wintercave

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2013 at 12:52pm
Chris, sent U a txt to the number you posted above, what time today??

Shouldn't you jap car fellas (Timmy) stop jackin the knotters thread and take it over to the forums at www.IDriveAGurlyJapCar.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic