Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barn Find 1989 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barn Find 1989 Ski Nautique
    Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:12pm
If 2 years in a barn because of a broken steering cable (from doing "donuts") qualifies then I just purchased a barn find 89 Ski Nautique. Had my eye on a 1985 Big Block SN, but when I was ready to buy, it was sold . My wife proclaimed in her infinite wisdom that "it was a sign from God that it wasn't meant to be and something better would come along" While searching craigslist I found an ad in Saginaw for a 1989 SN that needed a steering cable for $6,000 and the ad stated they were very flexible on the price . Called them up and went to see it, made an offer and then dragged it home.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:17pm
There are no signs of wet foam or stringer rot.
1.) No cracks in the Gel along the chines
2.) No soft spots in the floor
3.) The lag bolts on the engine cradle gripped tight when I slightly loosened them and retightened.

It is pretty dirty and needs a good cleaning. Graphics are real nice. Hopefully a good buff and polish is all it needs.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:21pm
Interior is in good shape, no rips or tears, just needs a good scrubbing and some minor repairs (other than the steering cable).

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:25pm
Awesome! And w/ a 1.23 to 1 to boot! There's a barn find on CL down here in ORL but it isn't in near the shape that yours is in and the guy is asking too much. Looks like you found a great one, congrats!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:25pm
Nice find!!
Looks exactly like mine when I purchased mine...

Customised mine a little (to Pete's dismay )

A good clean and buff will bring out that red nicely

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:49pm
Wow, thats nice! How many hours on it? Pics of the motor?
Js
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Awesome! And w/ a 1.23 to 1 to boot! There's a barn find on CL down here in ORL but it isn't in near the shape that yours is in and the guy is asking too much. Looks like you found a great one, congrats!

Alright, I will admit that I am dumb (but you guys already knew that!)
1.23 to 1 is that the trans ratio? as opposed to 1:1
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:56pm
Dude money! One of my favorite color combonations. I previously wasnt a huge fan of the 89 lacking the big 2001 and the flat windshield but the 89s have really been growing on me. Last summer a beautiful black on white 89 surfaced on my lake and I was in love.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Wow, thats nice! How many hours on it? Pics of the motor?

665 hours on it. I will post pictures of the engine later today. I didn't try to start it because it is winterized. Plan on squirting some oil in the cylinders, turning it over, doing a compression check and then tune it up and change the fluids before attempting to fire it up for the first time (when it gets warmer out- Michigan is cold in March.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:05pm
Wesl - That is a sister to my boat - congratulations, you got a great deal on a great boat.

In addition to the suggestions above, check the shaft alignment before the the summer.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Alright, I will admit that I am dumb (but you guys already knew that!)
1.23 to 1 is that the trans ratio? as opposed to 1:1

Yes sir! '89 was the first year for this in the Ski Nautique and the only year for the 2001 hull.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 2:43pm
Congratulations. I love the 89's! My 89 is in the first stages of rehab right now. The other nice thing about the 1.23 transmission is that it spins the prop right hand while the motor spins left, which simplifies engine work and parts.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 5:31pm
Looks like it will clean up really nice !!
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 7:25pm
Nice find
It looks like they took out the alarm
The foam has water
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 7:31pm
I'm Confused, in reading the tags on the engine in my 1989 2001 with a 1:23:1 trans, I thought that the R's were telling me that the engine was right rotation and the prop was right rotation.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 7:47pm
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:02pm
Thanks Tim I thought my tag had 2 R's I will have to look again.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
newscotty2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newscotty2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:08pm
Wes,

Nice job! We have twin boats. I wish that would have been listed last spring. I paid $7500 for mine and had to drive 10 hours to get it(still a good deal though). Looks like it will clean up nice. If you ever bring it "Up North" to TC there could be a photo opportunity. Congrats on a great find!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:09pm
Great find looks in to be in very good condition just in need of a big clean and polish. Is it Fire Red or Cranberry??

The 89's have lots of advantages over the previous years:-

....Better resin
....Power plus 1.23 trans (improved fuel economy and pulling power)
....Single exhaust with septic tank muffler. Although some consider this a disadvantage. If you are in the boat for long periods of time you will soon appreciate it.
....Engine sits nice and low into bilge with less angle.
....Normal automotive engine rotation.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Is it Fire Red or Cranberry??

Definitely Fire Red.

Cant go wrong with resale red!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Cant go wrong with resale red!

Just makes my old Cranberry 89 even more special.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Nice find
It looks like they took out the alarm
The foam has water

WATER IN THE FOAM?? It may very well have (like all of them), I hope not, but I did it once and I probably could do it again (should have offered less )

The alarm is in the dash, just pushed in a little, most likely from someone hitting it because it was going off all of the time.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:59pm
Thanks for the TAG decoder, looks like it is LH engine and RH prop rotation. I've only owned for 24 hours and have already learned alot.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by newscotty2001 newscotty2001 wrote:

Wes,

Nice job! We have twin boats. I wish that would have been listed last spring. I paid $7500 for mine and had to drive 10 hours to get it(still a good deal though). Looks like it will clean up nice. If you ever bring it "Up North" to TC there could be a photo opportunity. Congrats on a great find!

I will be in Traverse City on June 15th for a wedding, didn't plan on bringing the boat, but maybe I should. Definitely have the boat at Otsego Lake the week of July 4th. I was going to drive 12 hours to get the BB Ski Nautique, sucks to drive that much but it is worth it for the right boat.

Here are a couple of engine photos

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 9:16pm
Has anyone experienced this, the engine cover wasn't fully attached to the hinges and the pins were not installed. It looks like the water pump pulley sawed through the engine cover and through the vinyl. I assume this "hole" isn't a factory clearance hole for the pulley?

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 9:30pm
LOL, ouch! That sucks but should be an easy fix. Wonder why they didn't have it in the hinges. Would have been easy for a passenger to inadvertently push the box back. That's always a favorite footrest for me when I'm riding in other people's boats.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
fumanchu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fumanchu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 10:02pm
My '89 has the exact hole ground into the cover as yours.

Engine looks dead on yours with exception to the accel coil, and I have an orange water separator at the port front bilge.

I removed the the muffler, not much louder really. Easier to work on.

I would add a grounding block to the gauges.
I chased a temp proplem that was non existent due to low reading gauges.

Nice boat. 89's are special.
'89 2001
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 10:12pm
[QUOTE=fumanchu] My '89 has the exact hole ground into the cover as yours.
QUOTE]

Was the hole there when you bought the boat or did it happen while you owned it? I am just guessing at the cause, seems likely.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I take it all to heart with much respect for the members here.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 10:26pm
I wonder if it made any noise when the pulley was sawing through??

You can repair that motor box with some epoxy & cloth. For a temp repair, I would clip off some red vinyl from the underside of a seat & glue it in place. Eventually, you are going to need a skin though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 10:51pm
Could that hole be caused because the aftermarket high fly that was slipped over the pylon wouldn't allow the cover to close? Pull the hinge pins and slide the engine cover back to close each time the extension was used over the pylon.
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic