NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine not cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine not cooling
    Posted: March-17-2013 at 5:15pm
Good afternoon all, i was just out enjoying the warm afternoon when my engine hit 240+ melted my hoses to the exhaust out ... i caught a ride back to shore and tried to see why my engine wasnt cooling. The water pump feels/looks good so im lost.   1979- 351/ ski tique.
I followed the lead from where the water comes in to a bottle looking deal then it goes up to what im guessing the thermostat.
i am thinking, i live in Fla so wht would i need a thermostat anyway- but does anyone have an idea why no water getting to engine besides a bad water pump?

JaxNole
1979 Tique
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 5:43pm
You didm"t say what make of water pump you are using on what engine. If it is a dual impeller Sherwood AND you have recently installed new impellers, check to see that you didn't put it back in upside down. I have a Jabsco pump in my 65 Nautique on a Chrysler 318 and I have marked the top of my pump with TOP so I know that when I put it back in after a rebuild, it is in correctly.
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 5:55pm
I actually did not rebuild anything, this boat was willed to me from a friend who i was careing for while she had cancer. it was in storage for 25+ years... it just stasrted smoking and my gauge went up to over 240, and it melted those rubber type tubes from engine to pipe. luckliy it didnt burn out engine. so i am guessing my engine is not getting any water. i did take apart the thermostat and poured water in there and it didnt go anywhere, then hooked water hose up to all other pipes on engine and it poured out the back pipes. so i followed the intake "where it takes it from the river into the system and it looks like the intake pipe runs thru this little bottle like deal, then runs up to the thermostat area. yes im new to boating.lol so i am thinking the engine is not getting any water.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:34pm
your impeller is toast...the inlet hose, after the strainer, goes to the raw water pump...that's where the impeller is and no doubt its worn out, you will need to get a new one. Don't confuse the water pump(like in a car) with the raw water pump. Do a search for the bucket method of testing the pump. You do certainly need a thermostat even in FL.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:38pm
make note or take pic of pump before you remove it so you will put it on same way it came off. next you are going to learn about air leaks into the system, after changing impeller make sure everything is tight, use a nut driver on the hose clamps. Any little tiny air leak will cause some overheating.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:40pm
any melted or cooked hoses need to be replaced too of course
This is the life
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:42pm
Thank you so much! i was thinking "it looks like the engine in a car"- lol.
do you know what the bottle looking thing is right where the water comes into the boat?

it comes in through vent to a bottle looking thing then goes up to top of engine and i guess gets dispersed to engine.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:43pm
Thank you so much! i was thinking it looks like a car engine so i was sorta treating it like one.
im curious what the bottle looking thing is after the water enters the boat from the vent on bottom. it goes vent entrance, to a bottle looking thing then to top of engine for dispersing.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:57pm
Harry,
It sounds like you ran the boat without water at one time. The impeller in the RWP (raw water pump) is rubber and water lubricated. Even if you didn't run without water, the impeller is old and you need to replace it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 6:59pm
Thank you all for the information.. one more question- how do i get an avatar for my posts?   
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 7:19pm
Harry,
You first need a diary entry. Have you submitted pictures and some text to Keith yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 7:24pm
No i just uploaded one. i do not know who keith is...   but have been comin here sine 2011.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Jaxboater Jaxboater wrote:

No i just uploaded one. i do not know who keith is...   but have been comin here sine 2011.

Keith Bagley is the CCfan site owner/administrator. Since you just submitted a dairy entry, be patient as it may take a few days for Keith to review it and enter it.

Have you run the engine without water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 7:41pm
Appreciate the info. i haave received so much good information from this site it has been set as favorite for well over 2 years.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 9:17pm
you don't have to wait, post some pics here now and you can learn all about what you have and how to fix it.

Just a word of caution. You said you were "thinking it looked like a car engine". It does, but there are differences.

It's not that complicated. I wonder how you missed the last 25 threads on overheating? LOL

How are your mechanical skills/knowledge/tools?   

Just get pics posted of the boat/engine/etc
This is the life
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Jaxboater Jaxboater wrote:

I actually did not rebuild anything, this boat was willed to me from a friend who i was careing for while she had cancer. it was in storage for 25+ years... it just stasrted smoking and my gauge went up to over 240

so i followed the intake "where it takes it from the river into the system and it looks like the intake pipe runs thru this little bottle like deal.

Harry welcome

So this boat has been sitting for a while? Soo lets back up a step or two and tell us what you did from sitting that long? did we do any fluid changes?
The little bottle like deal is a water stainer this filters the water,
if your boating through weeds, muck etc, this stops that stuff from entering the the system.If it gets clogged it can cause an over heat, Also where water enters the boat through the bottom check for clogs there.
The impeller is what pulls the water through the system Most of the time this is the number one cause of over heating. The impeller itself is made of rubber so since the boat has been sitting it has probably deteriorated. This is a easy do it yourself project . Do a little research on your boat all the info you need is here. Take some photos and post them when you get a chance. one more thing when a impeller brakes apart pieces will end up at the transcooler filter so you need to check that also.
Kirk

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 8:36am
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

lets back up a step or two   The little bottle like deal is a water stainer this filters the water,
if your boating through weeds, muck etc, this stops that stuff from entering the the system. one more thing when a impeller brakes apart pieces will end up at the transcooler filter so you need to check that also.
Kirk

Kirk,
The boat is a 79 Tique (go back to Harry's previous posts) so it may not have a sea water strainer. The "bottle" mentioned may be the trans cooler. The cooler does not have a filter. It's just a tube in shell heat exchanger. Pieces of broken rubber impeller may back flow to the cooler but that usually happens when the boat is pulled and the water drains backwards. The more common spot for pieces to get stuck is at the T stat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 11:46am
Ha I was thinking 89 for some reason to much fun yesterday?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 11:53pm
Hello all,I was running the boat every weekend prior to my lil ordeal well i finished! My rubber impeller was as flat as a marble, so i replaced that,the tubing to from exhaust to muffler, the thermostat, plugs, wires and oil just to be safe.

I now have a ticking... i am thinking lifter because the engine got so dang hot.
So i put in a little thicker oil and it goes away after a few seconds of warming up but i feel it will get worse. any ideas anyone?
JaxNole
1979 Tique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 12:12am
What is the oil pressure?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 1:04am
The ticking will go away sooner or later
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 1:08am
You mean after the loud bang?

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 1:13am
sooner or later one way or another
This is the life
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 4:33pm
Oil pressure is fine... it ticks for a few second then goes away. i was thinking when i got it real hot it might have damaged the valve?
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 4:57pm
More than likely a lifter. Maybe you can use a screwdriver/ear technique to figure out which one.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 6:41pm
You should be fine as long as it quits ticking(lifter pumping up?) and does not start getting worse, trust me-you will know if it gets worse.

As long as you did not run it low on OIL, you are probably OK.
Never run it low on oil. Don't let the oil get to the add a quart line ever, keep it at full.

Keep an extra impeller on the boat, those things are the weak link in the system.

Don't run the boat without water going to the engine for any amount of time. Either age or lack of water or both is why your impeller failed. Replace them about every 100 hours/3 yrs--your mileage may vary.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Keep an extra impeller on the boat, those things are the weak link in the system.

Don't run the boat without water going to the engine for any amount of time. Either age or lack of water or both is why your impeller failed. Replace them about every 100 hours/3 yrs--your mileage may vary.

I have to disagree about the impeller being the weak link. The big weak link is really the boat owner running the boat dry. Yes, my milage does vary! 3 or 25 years?? It still worked as mentioned. I simply installed new impellers before taking the boat to GL. I knew if they failed there, I'd get plenty of s**t!!!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No winter removal of impeller.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've made several comments regarding the practice of frequent impeller change being unneeded. I'm on my 29th year of owning my 1964 with the 312. I just opened up the pump to take a look at the impellers after at least 25 years. I really wouldn't have bothered since I had no cooling problems but the bottoms of the hoses at the pump where getting real bad. (soft/gooey from the RV antifreeze) No broken blades, some wear on the tips, some "set" on the blades but no set at the cam from winter storage and some blade warpage.

The bottom line is running them dry is the killer and the marina's are spreading BS all over.

Normal or proof?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 8:50pm
Pete those are permanently deformed and there must be cracks on those blades, ready to fail. Good thing you replaced it. They get brittle from time. Just like us.

I would venture a guess that once deformed it will be less efficient at higher speeds especially.

It woulda blown on your speed run.
This is the life
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 10:20pm
Yeah after 25+ years, that impeller was history. Everything running good now. Just that little ticking noise had me sorta concerned.. but it goes away as it heats up. I will definitely keep my eye on that cooling system now plus the oil level. I guess all that's left is the carpet and recover my seats.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Pete those are permanently deformed and there must be cracks on those blades, ready to fail. Good thing you replaced it. They get brittle from time. Just like us.

I would venture a guess that once deformed it will be less efficient at higher speeds especially.

It woulda blown on your speed run.

Andy,
You are correct but the point I was making was there is a BIG difference between 3 or 4 years than 25 years. Keep in mind I did not have any cooling issues ether. I was just trying to state most impeller problems come from running them dry and really not age. Plus, you will note that I have NEVER removed a impeller for winter storage both on my boats or when I worked at at a CC dealership. Removing a impeller(s) for layup is just a scam to make more money. I have to laugh back in the days when a drain only was done and the block wasn't filled with anti. The dealers would bag and label the drain plugs so the customer would have to come back for " summerizing" unless the customer was smart enough to go out and buy several NPT plugs!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic