Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refurbish or Replace? (Another Swim Deck Post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 7:09pm
Bullies!
'99 SN Air Tique
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 7:02pm
A platform in the condition above I would first pressure wash. then utilize a teak cleaning solution, pressure wash again. Replace the screws with shorter and then lightly sand 220 or 320 grit. re oil and move on.
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 6:52pm
I don't mind continuing a dialogue as long as the OP receives good advice and all (me included) are willing to keep an open mind and also be willing to learn. I hope you didn't presume that I haven't worked with teak in my lifetime, nor that I didn't research a topic before putting my name on a reply. You will not find me offering advice on rebuilding carburetors, that's for sure!

If you continue to research all things about teak, you will likely learn that there is in fact a carbonization effect that happens to the oils, which contributes to the resultant color change. Could there be a mix of mildew and carbon in there? Sure. But look at the pattern of discoloration - it sits on the surface and doesn't penetrate the pulp of the wood. There are areas where it is not present, and looks chipped off or broken away.   The top of the platform (like many) is multitude of shades darker than the underside. That is not entirely mold-like. One would expect mold to be in the places where the sun doesn't shine, yet the darkest discoloration is present in a location that likely received the most oil over time. Doesn't really matter, it has to go. How to do it is what is at issue.

Also, I think many can agree that the advice offered by marinestore.com or any other retailer should be taken with a grain of salt. Afterall, their reason for being is to sell you product. Nothing wrong with that. Incidentally, they also (rightly) say not to pressure wash one's teak. I choose to buy that advice, particularly as it is difficult to have a pressure washer do it's job without allowing for a little abrasive cutting power along the way. Nice for a sidewalk, not so much for a swim platform. Too easy to make a mistake, so my advice was to avoid that scenario.

Teak, ultimately, should be left alone. We should all be running around with grey platforms if our goal is longevity and structural integrity. However, grey doesn't look all that appealing, so we offer the world of commerce our money to have our things look nice, and easily buy the notion that a golden honey platform is a good platform. Nothing wrong with that either, but it does start a cycle of constant upkeep, and continued abrasion. We shorten the life of our teak the more we touch it.

I stand by my advice to dremel the protruding screws rather than removing them, but would quickly take that advice all back if one is prone to putting a unsightly gash in the surrounding wood. Teak, being highly resistant to decay, is likely holding those screws perfectly right now. No reason to touch them and introduce a new thread pattern into the wood. They are also highly recessed on the underside, which may necessitate enlarging the hole to ensure the larger diameter screw heads are also recessed. Nope, no reason to mess with that.

I'm happy to learn more from anyone wanting to contribute, but will be most satisfied to have the OP post a beautiful picture of work he is proud of, even if that means he broke out the sandpaper to get there.
'99 SN Air Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Madcap Madcap wrote:

Respectfully, teak is used in marine applications for good reason - its natural resistance to bad stuff like rot, decay and mold. I don't believe that is mold you are looking at, but carbon. Sanding the teak MAY hurt, you will risk exposing the points of additional screws.    

Jake,
Respectfully I ask you to do some reading on why Teak turns color,
Here's just one quote: "There are basically two reasons to clean teak. First, you want to remove the black and/or gray color (actually mold & mildew) from the wood and get a more natural look. Second, you need to kill all the mold and mildew spores present so they won't continue to eat the teak oil and discolor the wood." From the first site I went to. I have also mentioned before That I suggest a synthetic Teak oil so any mold and mildew still in the Teak doesn't feed on natural Teak oils.

Regarding sanding the wood, please note I stated go with shorter and bigger diameter screw.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 8:38pm
Respectfully, teak is used in marine applications for good reason - its natural resistance to bad stuff like rot, decay and mold. I don't believe that is mold you are looking at, but carbon. Sanding the teak MAY hurt, you will risk exposing the points of additional screws. Start with the three part process, if you feel you need to be more aggressive, you can always step up your attack. If the screws are holding, let them stay exactly where they are, they've already found their home.
'99 SN Air Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 6:10am
Brian,
I agree that it sure looks like your Teak can be restored. A pressure washer does a fantastic job of getting down into the pores of the wood. That is important since the mold that causes the Teak to turn dark is in the pores. The key to the pressure washer is to keep the pressure low so you don't tear up the wood.

The exposed screws can be removed and ether shortened or replaced with shorter ones of the next diameter larger.

Sanding the Teak will not hurt. It will remove some of the high spots.

The step that does the most is using one of the Teak cleaning kits.

Post pictures of the progress.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Madcap View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 1:36am
You sure are getting some interesting replies!

Inspect your platform closely as you already likely have. If the wood and the brackets are stable and firm (they appear to be as the screws do not appear to have backed out) you have the makings of a great restoration project. It's a heck of a lot cheaper, and you'll be happier having restored the original platform.

Do NOT sand it, and don't hit those screws with a center punch, and leave the pressure washer in the garage! Goodness.

You want to be as kind and non-abrasive to your wood as possible, because at this point either shrinkage, prior sanding, or wear has caused those screws to stick out. You'll want to eliminate the sharp points alright, so I would suggest protecting the surrounding area and >carefully< use a Dremel to smooth them down a bit without taking any of the surrounding wood away. Leaving the screws otherwise untouched is a good idea - don't remove them and don't tighten them.

Donald's suggestion is right on - the Star Brite 3-step process is fine to use. You'll be amazed as to how effective it is. Once you get to the third step - applying the teak oil - use thin coats and let it absorb before adding another coat, and don't rush it. I prefer function over form, so my platform looks a bit light on the teak oil when dry, because it gets real slippery if you use a lot of it in the name of pursuing a showroom-beautiful looking platform. The safety of my family (as well as numero uno) comes first.

Please post the results - would love to see your "after" pictures.

Good luck!
'99 SN Air Tique
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 12:25am
My platform wasn't as bad as yours but after sanding and brushing with a brass brush, I used this with pretty great success:

Teak Kit

After using the cleaner the wood almost looked brand new.

C
1999 Ski Nautique 196
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 11:50pm
I would use a power washer (the secret is to use the widest nozzle, and do not stop in one place) I have renewed platforms in that shape before using that method. Let it dry in the sun a few days, then coat with your teak oil.
As far as the little brads, take a small center punch and try to 'bump' them in a bit more.....
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:49pm
Looks fixable to me. How about using slightly shorter screws for those few screws that are sticking out. Use the Star Brite Three Step process.

Donald
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:34pm
I will apologize for yet another swim deck post. I have read lots of posts here and elsewhere (including the useful FAQs[/URL] section; however, I would like help on making a decision on whether or not to refurbish or replace this platform on our '94 SN. I am most concerned about the protruding screws (they are worn smooth to the wood surface). Thanks for taking a look. I am going to post up a couple of other refurbishing questions ASAP.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic