NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1 wire alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 wire alternator
    Posted: March-01-2006 at 12:51pm
Ok guys put new alternator on I ran a new wire #6 gauage should I connect back to the 50 amp breaker if so the wire from the 50 amp breaker to postive side of solenoid looks to be only about 14gauage should I also put a #6 wire from the breaker to the solenoid or would it be better just to run the charging #6 wire to postive side of the solenoid sure does seem easier to do it that way. I do have the dash protected with a fuse box set up.

This is the last thing before she goes back in the water temp 80 again in Florida today
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 1:27pm
Ok spoke with Woody told me install 100 amp breaker keep postive from alternator to the breaker then wire from breaker goes to dash #10 panel and postive side of solenoid does that make sense to everybody
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 2:53pm
Ok after further review a continue circuit loop with the alternator field(charging wire) closet to breaker to protect everything else

2 bolts on breaker

one side hot to solenoid

other side alt field and #10 wire that feds the dash

see I knew I would figure out sooner or later
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 3:27pm
Tony, what amp alt did you buy? also, where/how much? Mine might need replacing soon.

I'm confused though....wouldn't you run the power to the solenoid and then directly to the battery (or isolator/combiner/perko)? whats with wiring to the dash panel?

6 gauge should be enough, but if you plan on adding stereo, etc I'd bump up to a 4 gauge or maybe 2. Yes, you should replace the solenoid wire as well.

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 7:54pm
    I would purchase the 100 amp breaker and leave the exisiting one as is. The reason behind this is because changing the 50A to a 100A is defeating the purpose of the breaker protecting the main feed to the dash which is usually a #10 wire. Its almost like taking a 15 amp breaker in your house and dropping a 30 in it instead. Without knowing all the variables with the wires hooked up on the output of the 50A breaker, it should stay put.

Where its a single wire alternator, I would use no smaller than a #4, because the field is tied to that as well and cant compensate for any voltage drop in the wire.
I would mount the new 100A breaker as close to the main batt cable on the engine, so your wire will go from the main batt cable on the engine to the new breaker(shortest possible run to this is important since its not protected) then from the breaker to the alternator output stud.
Hope this helps....My .02
                             Jeff...
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 8:16pm
It's funny you say that Jeff thats what I was trying to explain to Woody today. sometimes I can't explain well but I understand what I'm trying to due.To make life easier I'm going with only a 60 amp alternator 75 amp breaker I beilieve this set up will allow me to keep everything else the same that #10 wire could handle the amp's coming off the Alt what do you think.

By the way Jeff the #10 wire coming from the breaker goes to a fuse box then all might items are indivudally protected i.e. blower,bilge ,lights and so forth no longer have the circuit breaker style set up to many issues with that wiring if you know what I mean.
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 8:25pm
By the way I can make life easier. Take my dash feed from the main battery via a battery style switch. This way I can install the new alternator 60 amp with a #6 wire directly to the postive side of the solenoid does this make since or do I need to protect the solenoid. Just a thought
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 8:35pm
   If its a one wire alt that is going in, I would say no to that. 60A for a #10 alt output wire is pushing the luck. I would certaily go with A larger one. What happens is the single wire alt cant adjust for the drop in the cable from its output terminal to the breaker. Of course, the shorter the run, the better it is. The old style with a external regulator senses the voltage at the breaker and the alt compensates for it, maybe putting out 15v at the output stud, but getting 14 at the breaker. This is the reason why you cant hook dual batteries with a isolator(diode bank) with a single wire hookup alt. It wont compensate for the .6 to .7 volt drop through the diodes.
    I would run the #4 wire and go with the 75a breaker seperately like I mentioned before it were mine. My .02 again.
                            Jeff..
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 8:56pm
Jeff: I know you live for these threads. I enjoy it when you speak electrical. Might as well be a foreign language to me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 4:07am
Ok Jeff I'm convinced I will leave the orginal set up install 75 ampbreaker to protect wire coming of the new alternator. but were do you want me to install the wire after I come off the 75 amp breaker to the postive side of the solenoid were the #2 wire comes from the battery or just run a longer wire and run to the battery itself.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 10:41am
If you are going to use a 75 amp breaker you better not use a wire size smaller than #8. I would run #6. But then again, I would not use a 75 amp breaker. You could probably get by with a 60 amp breaker on #10 but that is very marginal. I wouldn't do it. The problem, however, with #6 is going to be termination. My 2 cents.

Is a 60 amp breaker and #10 wire standard on CCs?

Now, if we run one 1/2" x 4" copper bus bar through the right gunnel for positive and one 1/2" x 4" copper bus bar through the left gunnel for negative we might be covered on all the electrical cr*p anyone would want to hang on the boat - but I doubt it.

Hang on Jeff, before you reply, I have to go put my code book into my holster.

BTW, this may sound kind of sh***y but I don't always want to listen to other boater's music. In fact, when they drive by my house I throw rocks at them. (I assume that is what this is all about.   ...in which case I recommend using a 1200 amp breaker and #12 Gauge wire.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 1:37pm
Factory installed 50 amp with 36 amp alt with #10 wire to dash for the postive feed.

not about loud music only have 4 speakers 2 on tower 2 on the inside. They don't make the alternator that's currently on the boat so I went with 60 amp but probally only a true 56 amp alternator or at least that's what everyone says just want to make sure things are going to be safe. I like to do work once not twice.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 1:58pm
BTW, tonydjd, I hope you misunderstood Woody because his advise has always been right-on.

Do not use a 100 amp breaker to protect a #10 wire! Jeff is right-on, you could come out of the 100 amp breaker to a 50 amp breaker with a #4 wire and from the 50 amp breaker to your dash with a #10 wire although #8 would be better.
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 3:51pm
It wasn't that Woddy was wrong he mentioned he did not have the wiring schematic. On the rear of the engine was the 50 amp circuit breaker with

on one side red wire #10 which basicaly a short jumper wire that went to postive side of solenoid basically the same spot the postive wire from the battery is attached.

on the other side there are 2 wires attached the orange #10 coming from the alternator and a #10 wire that went into wireharness that looks to be the dash hot feed, Woody thought that wire was the amp meter. I was looking directly at this and knew in fact that it was the dash feed wire not amp meter wire but I understand it's hard to answer questions without having schematic or looking directly at it. Believe me anytime you need an answer he is by far the most informed person out there.
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 4:01pm
Ok Jim to make it easier I can take my dash feed from battery because I installed a battery switch and a fuse box set up to protect all switches.

then could I run #6 wire from alternator to 100 amp breaker then run a #6 wire from the otherside of breaker to the postive side of solenoid (same spot the postive battery feeds).Thats how the original setup was done the only thing different would be instead of taking the dash hot from circuit breaker I took it from the battery.

Does that seem ok. thanks for all the advice
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 6:09pm
tony. Your breaker does not have to be larger than your alternator. It's nice that you have a 60 amp alternator. The actual amps that flow out of your alternator depend on the amount of electrical devices that "pull" the amps out of the alternator. All of that "amp pull" or "amp draw" as it is called, is also called the electrical load. It's good that the alternator is rated higher than your electrical load.

When amps flow through a conductor heat is given off. The more amps the more heat. Larger wire will handle more heat (and therefore more amps).

The circuit breaker is in the circuit to keep your wire from melting if the amp draw gets too high.

The circuit breaker MUST be rated at an amp rating lower than the amp rating of the wire.

I do not have the specifics of how wire is rated for amps in a boat but wire ratings for various applications are all somewhat close.

We had this discussion on another thread and I kind of hate to bring it up again but I think you need the help.

The National Electrical Code (NEC), which DOES NOT apply to boats but is all I have to go by, and I think Jeff goes by the NEC also, states in one of it's wire rating tables that #6 copper wire is rated at 55 amps. Wires with different types of insulation placed in different locations carry slightly different amp ratings. But using the 55 amp number, which, I admit, is conservative, would dictate that the circuit breaker protecting that wire be rated less than 55 amps - a 50 amp circuit breaker should be OK.

A 100 amp circuit breaker will not trip until the #6 wire is well on it's way to bursting into flames.

My advise, IMHO, (help me out here Jeff), is to either use a 50 amp circuit breaker if you plan to run #6 wire or, if you really want to use a 100 amp breaker run #2 wire, unless it is a very short wire, less than 6 inches, in which case you could probaby get by with #3 or #4 (but I would not run #4 wire a long distance if it were protected by a 100 AMP circuit breaker). EXCEPT, if you know the amp rating of the exact wire you are buying and you know it is rated higher than 100 amps).

Help Jeff!!!   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

tony. Your breaker does not have to be larger than your alternator. It's nice that you have a 60 amp alternator. The actual amps that flow out of your alternator depend on the amount of electrical devices that "pull" the amps out of the alternator. All of that "amp pull" or "amp draw" as it is called, is also called the electrical load. It's good that the alternator is rated higher than your electrical load.

Jim, sorry, but I cant agree totally with what quoted. If you run the stereo for a while and drain the batt some, when you start the engine, the alt is going to put out full ticky for a short while running necessary accessories and charging the batt (unless its at idle all the time). I know with nothing else but just the batt charging will peak a 60a alt out for 10 seconds with a half drained 800cca batt. This means if he has 10 amps of load w/accys going on cause he has everything off, the batt is going to get 50a for a while going through the 50a breaker. This to me is a bit marginal and may trip on a very hot day, but cant be sure. As far as the wire size goes, I agree 100% on what you say. In general wiring in vehicles/boats, I always like to go bigger than NEC says due to the fact that there isnt much allowance in voltage drop. You can get flexible #2 wire and crimp terminals, but need the big crimper.
    The reason so many circuits are not breakered or fused correctly is due to the fact of relatively short wire distances and the main purpose is fusing a known "fixed" load. This is like the dome light of a truck is fused at 20a with #18 wire. The only purpose is to blow the fuse in the event of a dead short (which it will) and not a overload. A overload is like running 20 100w 117v bulbs in a 15a house circuit getting plugged in to the same circuit.
    Hope this helps everyone!!
And Jbear, have a drink for me when you read this...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 7:14pm
   Jim, I can say the only music on my boat is the tune of the straight pipes out or the rear!!!
   Tony, forgot to ask if your boat has a amp meter on the dash.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 8:08pm
I concur Jeff. Thank you. I was considering only electrical appliances. I didn't know circuit breakers were installed between the battery and the alternator. I need to look closer at mine. I figured the wire from the alternator to the battery was sized to handle maximum alternator output. Stands to reason that if the alternator winding went to ground you would want to trip a breaker.

I will take a closer look at mine.

So, based on this, the circuit breaker has to be sized larger than the amp output capability of the alternator and the wire has to be sized larger than the circuit breaker. Humm.. wire sized for 100+ amps???? Wow. Bring out the welding cable.

So, my bus bar idea is starting to look pretty good, huh?

So, that brings up the question: If your alternator goes to ground will a circuit breaker trip? I have never seen that happen.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 8:24pm
You just have to hate all of this... (I just can't help myself)

Two types of over-current situations:

In a shorted circuit, electric current flows outside of it's intended path and is limitied only by the impedence of the circuit and the ability of the voltage source to supply current. (This is why we have fuses and appearantly, in the case of boats, circuit breakers). Warning warning, here we go again!!!

In an overload, current flows within its intended path but is higher than the design rating of the electrical system.

I may be just learning about boats, which I am, but when it comes to theory (for whatever that's worth) - send me in coach. I've got bits of theory stuck in every pocket and I'm just dying for opportunities to whip it out!!!!

Now all I have to do is go get into my theoretical boat and drink my theoritical beer while I work hard to embarrass myself in front of the theoretical babes in their theoretical thongs!! Sorry Tony. I suggest you sell the damn boat and buy stock in Belden Wire & Cable.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 8:30pm
Jeff made me do it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 8:44pm
   Yes Jim, as a rule, you have your main batt cable go to your starter (or solenoid), then a wire from that to the breaker. Everything else goes on the other side of the breaker. There shouldnt be anything hooked to the main batt cable unprotected (doesnt mean it hasnt been done). As far as 100a breaker, tony only needs a 75. The 50 would be marginal unless he has a "fixed" accessory load of 20 amps, thus allowing only 40 to go to the batt. Running a #4 wire is fine because the breaker is designed to protect lines from a dead short. A 5 ft. piece of #10 will trip 100a breaker with no trouble. Its a quick in-rush of current for the wire for a short time till the breaker trips, so the wire will never heat up. Just like a starter... can draw 500 or more amps from a #2 batt cable, but crank too long and she burns up. If a alternator diode fails and shorts, it will trip the breaker (or like me and accidently get a wrench across it).
   Tony, easiest way to me would be to install a new 75a breaker near the main batt cable, then run a #4 from the alt to the breaker, then another #4 from the main batt cable on the engine to the other side of the breaker. The key to success is to get the breaker mounted as close to the main batt cable as possible so you have no more than a 1 ft. of wire that is unprotected from the main batt cable to the breaker. Leave the 50a breaker as is.
   Hope this helps and my .02    
                            Jeff...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 8:44am
Jeff, in practicality we agree. In design principals we part ways and thats OK. I feel very good and will always take your advise.

However,
Originally posted by JEFF KOSTIS JEFF KOSTIS wrote:

A 5 ft. piece of #10 will trip 100a breaker with no trouble. Its a quick in-rush of current for the wire for a short time till the breaker trips, so the wire will never heat up. Just like a starter... can draw 500 or more amps from a #2 batt cable, but crank too long and she burns up.

If a short developes in a circuit the current (amps) will only be limited by the ability of the voltage source to supply it and the impedence of the circuit. I see what you are saying that in a direct short the 100 amp breaker will probably trip before the wire begins to burn. The problem with using #10 on a 100 amp breaker is that what if the short is not direct? What if the resulting current flow is 90 amps? What if the voltage source will not supply 100 amps? What if the the voltage source will only supply 90 amps into a direct short? Then what will happen? I will tell you what will happen - all of Tony's beer will be wasted pouring onto the flames shortly before eveyone jumps out of the boat. No boat and no beer man! I agree the likelyhood of a direct short and a tripped breaker is much greater. But hey, are you willing to bet on it for the price of a larger wire?

I don't mean to scare you Tony. The likelyhood of a high resistance short circuit with a resulting current flow less than 100 amps is very low. Probably, if a short developes the resulting current flow will be very high and trip the breaker - I hope.

I do like the idea of a 75 amp breaker instead of the 100 amp breaker.

One last thing before we lay down our swords, the battery cable does not burn up because the rate of temperature rise in the cable is slower then the depletion of charge on the battery. (Unless someone adds battery capacity and fails to increase cable size.)

Tony, go with a 75 amp breaker. I think Jeff and I agree (or compromise) on that. If the wire you buy is rated at 90 Deg C or higher you can use #6 wire. Otherwise run #4 out of the 75 amp breaker. If you do not know the temperature rating of the wire run #4. My disclaimer has to be again that I am admittedly not an expert on wiring a boat and I am intentionally overly conservative. My advise is based on theory and industrial design principals (from the NEC). However, I am not even sure if standards exist for wiring a boat. So Tony, you are left with what you are doing - take a poll and use the best parts of what everyone is telling you.

Make no doubt, Jeff knows his stuff. The things we are discussing are pretty much theoretical vs practical. Jeff's approach is probably more practical and I think his knowledge of boats is far greater then mine.

If I am in doubt I will take Jeff's advise in a heartbeat. I think he knows what he is doing.

Ain't this fun?

A final thought, upgrading to a higher amp alternator is not as simple as it would seem, huh?
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 1:22pm
I think I will go buy A mastercraft now.

Just Kidding you guy's are great
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 9:52pm
    Jim, I never knew we had our swords drawn.
    If you read my post, I was recommending tony to use a #4 wire and a 75a breaker. I was unclear about the #10 and was using it as an example on how sometimes you will see it done and how they can get away with it. This is my fault as I was very unclear. I certainly would never use a #10, and stated that in several posts.

On a another note, I agreed with your last posting except for one thing.

Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

If a short developes in a circuit the current (amps) will only be limited by the ability of the voltage source to supply it and the impedence of the circuit.

This you have here sounds like something from the NEC, and holds true only in AC circuits. There is no impedance in DC circuits, so that can be ruled out. Ohms of a cable change on what AC frequency is applied to it. Change the frequeny, and the impedance changes. DC has no impedance, so no matter what, its a constant calculation. Take a piece of standard telephone wire for example (Jbear will love this), it normally has a 600 ohm impedance. Now, this means at a certain AC frequency, you will have effectively 600 ohms across the pair. The twist in the phone cable is what makes the impedance what it is. Its not twisted to make it look pretty. So, if you took a standard ohm meter and went across a dead ended piece of the phone wire, you are not going to read 600 ohms, but infinity. This is because a ohm meter is measuring DC resistance(power from the batt in the meter).

Hope this helps Jim. You certainly are knowledgable, and amaze me because you want to do things SAFE and RIGHT. I appreciate all the positive comments, and Im sure you know the code book better than I when it comes to the NEC.

Sorry tony, A little of the subject. I think Jim and I can AGREE on the #4 and the 75a breaker.
    Good Luck!!

Jeff....

PS: man, its late and im beat!!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 11:04pm
Wow a #4 wire,

man you lost me a while ago.

seems pretty heavy duty running that size wire off of a 100A alt...never seen anything that heavy even on a diesel application(non-18 wheeler).
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 4:25am
I need another cold one I think after I get back from bike week I'll go over to Jbear's put down a few cold one's
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:34am
   A #4 wire is good size, but will give you basially no voltage drop in that short run since its a one wire system. Automovive applications get away with it due to the high-temp insulation they use. On new GM trucks, they use a #4 on their alternators, since they have gone to a one wire system themselves. You would see #10 and #8 on the older trucks without the one wire system where it could compensate for voltage drop for the smaller wire. Not the case here. Also, most alternators are oversized for the application so at idle they will maintain voltage. Will never get full output from a alt at idle, so the smaller wire survives because it usually never sees the full output except at start-up for a bit.

Jeff....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:36am
    Tony, Jbear has gone on a little trip back home. Think he doesnt have a computer. Hoping he could figure how to email us some cold ones!
                                  Jeff...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 6:48pm
Jeff,

As I am sure you know, impedence = the square root of resistance squared + inductive reactance squared. In a DC circuit the inductive reactance = 0. Therefore impedence = resistance. There certainly is impedence in a DC circuit and it equals the resistance. When you are shaving nuts there actually could be some slight inductive reactance and capacitive reactance in a DC circuit, even supplied by the coils in the alternator and the parallel run of conductors in the conductor path, although from a practical point they are usually insignificant.

The word impedence is often used to mean total resistance to current flow including any inductive reactance and capacitve reactance that may exist, even in DC circuits. (Sort of like the input to your DC voltmeter is rated in impedence.)

The rise time of a current wave form is definitly limited by the impedence in a circuit, even in DC circits.

This all goes way beyond practicality in wiring a boat and is therefore pretty much more meaningless dribble. But, if we are going to start dsicussing theory let's get it right.

I love these conversations as they keep me thinking and you keep me on my toes Jeff. Now if you want to discuss how the boat is actually wired? Pffff... beats me.

I thank you Jeff.. I love it keep it coming guy.

Jeff, make no doubt I have limited experinace in the technical aspects of how a boat is wired and I am comfortable with your advise. (you can wire my boat any day...)   

I did look at the wiring in my '68 today. It appears the positive of the battery connects directly to the circuit protector with the battery cable. The alternator cable runs into the wiring loom and goes I know not where. I suspect it runs to the ammeter. It looks like it may be a #10 wire.

There is what looks like a #10 wire that runs from the output of the circuit protector into the wiring loom, probably to my ammeter.

I will stop refering to the device I have been calling a circuit breaker because I have discovered ther is no way to manually disconnet power using that device. It has only a little red button that pops out when a current overload is sensed.

By definition, this will drive jbear to drinking, "a circuit breaker is a device which will open the circuit manually or automatically at a pre-determined current level without damage to itself".

On a final point, I hope, in comparing the AC amp numbers in the NEC wire tables as compared to DC, the AC amp ratings are RMS values which by definition, create the same amount of heat in a circuit as the DC equivilant rating.

I love it Jeff - keep me on my toes!!!!

Have I killed this thread yet? Sorry Tony.

Tony, did you ever get your question answered?

I (and I hope Jeff too) take comfort in that anyone reading this entire thread will probably gain some amount of knowledge. Nighty nite all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic