Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 Ski Nautique 2001 Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83 Ski Nautique 2001 Problems
    Posted: August-18-2013 at 12:19pm
Hi, I am brand new to the forum and boats in general. I recently found a '83 Ski Nautique 2001 for sale on Craigslist (..I know, craigslist) and the boat appears to be in awesome physical condition. The hull of the boat and interior are in great shape for an 83 and the only problem I could find with the interior was a soft spot in the floor on what appears to be an access panel (where the engine cover bolts to the floor, and there is also a view port for the prop shaft).

Well yesterday I met with the owner 100% ready to purchase the boat, but I had to see it perform on the water before I could pull the trigger on the deal. We took the boat to the lake and it started up after a few attempts and once it was warmed up, it seemed to run just fine. Maybe idle was a little high, but nothing outrageous. When driving the boat, it would only get to a top speed of about 18-20 mph and it took quite a while to reach that speed. The RPM gauge in the boat was not working so I don't know exactly what the engine was running at, but it sounded as though it was revving quite high but just barely moving. (there were three people in the boat and the water was smooth).

After getting the boat out of the lake, I checked the engine oil which was full and seemed fresh and the transmission oil was pink and appeared full. The transmission dip stick did have a white residue at the top rubber seal of the dip stick which seemed concerning.

Sadly I was not able to part with my money on this boat because of this problem but I do still want this boat. I was hoping maybe there would be some insight into what could possibly be causing these problems. Thank you for any possible help.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 12:59pm
700 bucks plus shipping plus maybe another 150 for a new cooler, 150-200 for a new drive coupling and you are in business.

The gear has water in it. Most likely caused by a bad cooler. Rebuild the gear, replace the cooler and replace the drive plate as due diligence, then watch the Professors alignment video.

You may also want to check out the stringer inspection tutorial.

Second, thought.... read the entire FAQ section.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 3:01pm
Sounds like the boat has a whole list of issues.
Which could quickly get expensive.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 3:26pm
Ok great thanks for the responses. So the boat is looking at a new transmission at the bare minimum. Is that the most likely culprit of these conditions based on the semi vague info I was able to provide? Sorry, I am new to boats and don't mind picking up a weekend project, I just don't want to get too far over my head.

Here are some pictures of the boat, because I know everyone loves pictures.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 4:14pm
Before spending money on a VelvetDrive, I would give it a fluid change and make sure it is fully clicking into the forward detent.
Check the fuel tank for water and get rid of any old or bad gas and filter.
It probably needs a complete tune-up and a carb re-build.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 6:48pm
Unless your handy,your looking at a min of $1500. For the work that presents now,however I would be suspect on wet foam and a compression check on the engine.Good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 7:40pm
Well I made the owner an offer which he for now has passed on. I brought to his attention the issues with the boat but he is set on that the problems are due to the boats propeller pitch being wrong and claims with a new prop the boat will go much faster. Not falling for that one. I told him my offer stands so we will see if he gets back to me or finds someone to sell it to that doesn't want to lake test it...

He was able to provide paperwork from a boat inspection he had performed on the boat when he purchased it (which was only 2 months ago...) which shows compression being 120-135 on all cylinders.

Here is also a picture I forgot I took showing the stringers and engine mount. This looked slightly suspicious to me but felt solid. Maybe someone with a better eye for these things can chime in. Thanks
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 11:16pm
Funny how sellers will claim a problem can be repaired inexpensively, but they don't get it fixed. Good move passing on the boat. There are many very well maintained bots that come up for sale.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 11:48pm
That tower is enough to make me run from it. I also see orange.

Donald
granitesn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote granitesn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 11:54pm
Be patient and keep looking. Took me a few years to find mine. I lucked out with a turn key boat, 1985 SN 2001 that I purchased for $4000 on the factory matching trailer. It needed some cosmetic TLC (wet sand and wax and pinstripe). I am dealing with, what I hope is a minor starter issue but we put nearly 40 hours on the boat this summer and only needed to put gas in her. Good luck and happy hunting. The thrill is in the hunt!
1985 Ski Nautique (my first and only)
Correct Craft - "there is no substitute"
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 1:11am
Ok well the seller of the boat contacted me today and he is willing to take what i considered to be a fair offer on the boat knowing the mechanical problems. Guess I will have a winter project on my hands to get this up and running for the spring. I shall be visiting the forums much more frequently now as it appears tomorrow afternoon I will officially own a Ski Nautique
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 9:49am
Congratulations on your purchase. the good thing about an inboard is they are easy to work on. The tranny is best sent to a shop for rebuild, but it is only a 2 hour job to remove it.

Ben Franklin
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 4:25pm
congratulations!   welcome to the club
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 3:28am
Picked it up this evening and got it all the way back to the house. Took the tower off and somehow managed to get it in the garage. let the fun begin!
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 11:27pm
Ok tonight was the first night I got to take a look at the boat since getting it inside the garage. Messing around with the boat and checking out the throttle linkage to the carburetor and it appears that when the throttle is all the way, it is barely moving the carbs throttle plates. They are just barely beginning to open even though the throttle is all the way forward. I can physically open the carb throttle plates all the way, so I am pretty confident that there is a linkage problem going on and that could be a very good reason why the boat was so slow when lake tested. I was wondering if this is a common problem (maybe slack in the linkage) or just some simple adjustment.

Also, any recommendations on a new alternator? mine tested at a whopping 6.5 volts so its going in the garbage.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 11:43pm
Mike,
Do a search as well as looking in the reference section for your helm control problem. I have a feeling the PO had it apart and didn't put it back together correctly. They can be tricky!

On the alternator, All it needs is a new diode bridge!!! Who told you to throw it out- The kid at Autozone?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 11:55pm
+1 on what Pete says Mike. Up in our area you can get them rebuilt cheaper than new,but thats not true everywhere. It also has to be a marine one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 2:57am
Check out this Thread. The linkage barrel may be broken.

Ben Franklin
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:52am
Ok another update. picked up a new ball joint linkage to go between the throttle linkage and the carb so now the throttle plate opens all the way when the throttle is depressed. I just disconnected the perfect pass for now, that was the problem not allowing the boat to go full throttle. I dropped the alternator off at a highly reputable shop in Dallas this morning and they are rebuilding it so that it will be good for 135 amps and it should be done by tomorrow. I will be putting the boat back together this weekend and hopefully doing another lake test sometime soon
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 1:02pm
I'm still stuck on your tranny fluid. You said it was pink and full. By pink, do you mean a clear pink to red color or do you mean milky pink like a strawberry shake?
Everybody here immediately translates pink to milky pink, not clear pink. Two completely different pinks with completely different meanings. Although technically a clear pink is actually red but someone less informed could call it pink. Just wanting clarification.

Nice find with the throttle plates not opening all the way.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:00pm
The fluid is a clear pink the way ATF fluid should look, but on the underside of the dip stick (rubber gasket) there is a white residue. I removed the fresh water hoses to the transmission cooler and put a flash light down it and it looked just fine, but I wasn't 100% sure what I should be looking for with the cooler. The throttle is pushing the transmission into gear fully.
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Mike26 Mike26 wrote:

but on the underside of the dip stick (rubber gasket) there is a white residue. I removed the fresh water hoses to the transmission cooler and put a flash light down it and it looked just fine

A pressure check is the only way to see if the tube in shell trans cooler is still good. Looking into it will not indicate the integrity. Pressurize the oil side and stick it in a bucket of water and then look for bubbles. What you did notice on the the bottom of the dip stick may just be from condensation but you want to be sure. Check the cooler and do a fluid change.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Mike26 Mike26 wrote:

The fluid is a clear pink the way ATF fluid should look, but on the underside of the dip stick (rubber gasket) there is a white residue.

Then disregard everything everybody is saying that the tranny and/or cooler needs rebuilding/replacing.
Go run it and check it again to verify that the fluid remains clear and RED (get off the pink thing...pink is bad) and there are no leaks. If that checks out OK, change the fluids and you're good to go. Don't worry about it.

Like Pete said, the small amount of white residue is probably just some condensation. This thing sat for a long time and I would consider that normal under those circumstances.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:28am
Condensation always collects at openings for some reason instead of exiting through the vent. The 03-08 Chrysler would get this nasty frothy stuff on the bottom side of the oil fill cap because it was up high.

Go with what Pete and Eddy said.
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 2:09am
Ok did some work on the boat today, got the rebuilt alternator on it, redid the fresh water pump and was able to fire the boat up in the garage after a couple of tries. I did notice something interesting which was when the boat was in neutral the prop was spinning as tho it was in gear at idle, but when i would just barely mess with the throttle the prop would stop spinning and sit there as it should at idle in neutral. I am guessing the linkage is improperly set up, but how much movement should it take for the boat to go in and out of gear? it was just barely a 1 degree difference on the throttle and it would click into gear and allow the prop to spin. Seems like it should take more movement, but what do I know
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 9:34am
Mike - The prop spinning in neutral is called a 'dirty neutral' - my boat also suffers from this.

It is caused by warped clutch plates.    The fix is a tranny rebuild.    Just live with it unless it causes a safety problem at the dock during warmup.

Ben Franklin
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 12:15pm
But there is a small position where the throttle is set where the prop does not spin at all, it will remain completely still. Still falls under the category of warped clutch plates?
'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 1:31pm
Mine does the same thing - When I give it some throttle in neutral the prop stops spinning. I assume the tranny pump has more pressure & releases the clutches. It's been this way since I bought the boat 6 years ago & hasn't gotten any worse.

Ben Franklin
Mike26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 1:22am
(Short Version):
Is this prop repairable or total crap and what should be done to fit this item that aligns the prop shaft under the boat? Just new bolts and some sort of adhesive?

(explanation on what happened):
All right, took the boat out today and brought 5 buddies along and we had a blast wake-boarding for about 4 hours this afternoon. Everything was running pretty well on the boat once we got the idle adjusted and the boat was accelerating just fine. Took it up to about 35mph at one point but we were mainly cruising between 20-25. The raw water pump was leaking a little bit but nothing that the bilge pump couldn't handle every 30 minutes or so.

So, we were cruising in the main part of Lake Lewisville towards the end of the day and the depth meter was reeding 35-40 feet deep. Cruising at about 25 mph with everyone on board and all the sudden there was a loud BANG and i stopped the boat asap. It was vibrating like crazy when in drive but just fine in neutral. Swam under and checked and sure enough, I bent the crap out of the prop on something. We had no other option but to idle the boat back to the boat ramp which took about 30 minutes. It was vibrating pretty violently and seemed to only be getting worse. All the sudden noticed that out feet were very wet. Popped open the engine cover and everything was soaked. Used the bilge pumps, a hand pump and cups to pump the water. Managed to get the boat on the trailer and out of the lake. Appears that the vibrations from the bent prop shook the bolts that hold the prop under the boat clean out of the bottom and the bolt holes were just filling with water. 3 of the 4 bolts were completely missing and the last one was just barely holding on...

'83 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 8:22am
Mike,
Sorry to hear about your problem. You have some work ahead of you! The boat should have been towed but the damage is already done. You will need to pull the shaft to see if it's bent as well as the strut. You also may have damaged the log and stuffing box. I'm sure a new cutlass bearing will be needed as well. On the prop, a prop shop will tell you if it can be repaired. Struts are bedded to the hull with typically 3M 4200. Make sure you go through the alignment procedure video found in the forums "new" section. Alignment starts at the strut. Hopefully you haven't damaged the trans as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic