NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replace Dash Pod 93 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace Dash Pod 93 Sport
    Posted: December-18-2013 at 1:03pm
Recently bought a used, blank dash pod to replace the pod on my 93 Sport.
My current pod looks good cosmetically. However, two of the four mounting locations on the pod had pulled through. The pod moves around al little with wave action. Also, the yellow and red switch and radio panels have cracked corners at the screw mounting holes.
So, I have to swap all the gauges, switches. panels and ignition breakers from the old pod to the new one. Quite a birds nest of wiring to sort through on the back of the pod.
Any helpful tips, tricks, ideas to make the job a little easier and keep if organized?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2013 at 1:07pm
I think it would be easier to repair the back side of the pod - esp. if yours looks good. There will be folks out there that need a cosmetic and functional replacement to take the spare off your hands.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2013 at 1:08pm
Sorry guys. Not able to post a picture of the dash.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2013 at 1:13pm
Steve, was going to send the leftover blank pod to TXFoilhead when I am finished.
I do not feel confident in repairing the pulled out mounting holes on the current pod. Have seen some threads in the past about doing that. May have to give them another look.
Would rather avoid re wiring and replacing everything.....looks to be a time consuming process, and a real PITA!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2013 at 11:03pm
I have the same problem,looks way easier to repair than to replace. I have not had any time to check it out either I assumed that the dash harness would unplug so you could remove the whole dash so that you could work on it out of the boat?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2013 at 11:36pm
My experience with dash pods from roughly 1 year ago: Kevin's Dash Pod

Cutting and splicing back together all those wires is a real labor of love. It took me a couple of evenings to strip, splice and marine-shrink all those wires. Happy with the end result - but if you can avoid I'd recommend doing so.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
barefootjames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 12:32am
I had to repair the screw holes on my previous boat(1997SNCB). The repair seemed to last.
I would also try to locate a wiring diagram specific to your boat, or at least a similar boat of that year.
If you decide to replace the dash, I would label all the wires first. On the gauges, typically there is a ground, a sensor input to each gauge, and of course a light input too. I would also take one or more pictures before disconnecting any wire. I would also label the circuit breaker inputs, and possible the switch location(ie. top to bottom).   When you make the switch, I would disconnect all of the gauges first, if possible I would try to remove the circuit breaker panel as one piece, or remove the circuit breakers separately without disconnecting the wires that are attached to the circuit breakers. Then I would remove all of the gauges from the old dash, then install the gauges into the new dash. Then I would remove the harness with the circuit breakers attached if possible.   Pictures, and labels will be your best help when installing the harness into the new dash. ABOVE ALL I would NOT cut any wires, unless it was my last choice.
2005 Super Air Nautique Team Edition Blue/Black Reverse Color Hull
1997 Ski Nautique White/Blue/Black Sold
1997 Ski Nautique White/Black - Sold
1991 Barefoot Nautique White/Medium Blue/Light Blue - Sold
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 9:45am
Jim, Since Miss Grace isn't gonna be used for a while and you're jumping on this right away maybe a future road trip to your place might be in order to give you hand in repairing or replacing the pod? Unless of course you're wanting to get it done over the Christmas break. Think about it and let me know.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 11:30am
Tim, not going to do it during Christmas. This is a winter project.
Road trip to my place would be greatly appreciated. It would be much easier to make the repair than to have to swap everything out.
With your hi tech, aviation techniques I trust it would work. And will make it worth your while
Thanks for the offer. Will take you up on that.   
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 11:45am
Okay, will call soon to figure out a day to do it. I'm losing my 3 day weekends at the first of the year so it's back to 8 hr shifts for me. We'll get it done before ya know it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 11:58am
Beer and Sport fixing, I'm in!
1994 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 12:18pm
Sounds good Sebastian. Let's do it.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 12:47pm
I think some epoxy and glass around the holes would work, not sure if that's a permanent fix since. Mine seems to be getting brittle best I can tell, and the cracking is either from vibration or me lifting the thin off a lot more than I should.

I'm still interested in any of 90's dashes to make molds with.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Toertel Toertel wrote:

Beer and Sport fixing!

Is there any other way to work on a boat?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 12:57pm
Don, I am still planning on sending you one of the dash pods to use to pop a mold. As soon as I get this done. May be a little while. Not too long since Morfoot has agreed to help.
Need to make the repair and swap out the yellow and red switch panels with the new one (mine are cracked and chipped).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:35pm
I'm going to be fixing my dash on our '92SN. The plastic is broken below each breaker plate and the breaker panel screws no longer hold well.

I think I am going to make an aluminum plate/ring to go behind the breaker panel that has threaded inserts. I'll either sandwich this between the front and rear side of the opening or I'll simply epoxy it into the dash pod. I'll use aluminum machine screws to fasten the panel to the dash. Hopefully a permanent fix.

Not looking forward to removing all of the wiring to get the dash off to do the repair, but can't see any other way of doing it.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 6:29pm
Everybody can relax. Promise not to have any chain saws on the jobsite when Morfoot comes over to help
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 7:25pm
Or filet knives.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 8:49am
If it takes a chainsaw to do the job you got bigger problems then just a dash pod cracked.

HW it's JBear you gotta keep filet knives from. I arrived on the seen after he nearly cut his thumb off.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 4:23pm
Just having a little fun at your expense Tim. I really do appreciate you offering to help. Looking forward to getting together
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 4:52pm
While we are on the dash subject,any ideas on what to do with this chipped lower edge? Zach does not have any,other dealers web sites don't list them. Is it basically plastic with a decal over it?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 5:43pm
Gary, replacing those two red and yellow (starboard side has red on it too) panels was one of the main reasons for my purchase of the used pod. Had never seen a pod for sale, that fit my boat, during the last seven years on the site.
Have seen a few of those yellow and red panels come available, but none to fit mine and yours.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 6:00pm
I had the same problem on my 96. I sure thought someone would have come up with a sticker replacement by now especially with the magnitude of creative people that hang around here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 6:12pm
I think Marty has those, if not he could make them if you sent him those. I vaguely remember someone putting those stickers on a plate and the putting another clear plate over the top to protect the sticker before mounting it back in the dash.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 6:57pm
Marty did have some panels, but not the same ones that would fit my 93 Sport (same as the one Gary shows a pic above).
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2013 at 8:15pm
The holes on my pod cracked and broke to the point where they did not work. I glued, maybe epoxied, some form of plastic to the backside and drilled new holes. The fix has held up for two years.

After I was done, I stumbled onto a web video of someone fixing a cracked snowmobile cowling. Seemed like just the right product and technique. I've had it the back of my mind in case my fix fails.
Jim
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2013 at 7:37am
I repaired the dash pod on my 89 with this product Plastex
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2013 at 9:17am
I was planning on using G-FLex

I've always had excellent results when using this product. I think it's like $50, but it lasts a long time and can be thickened as needed.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 1:56am
Marty can make those decals. Very nice quality reproductions. The plastic you have to repair or replace.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 8:52pm

So I made the two lower dash panels for my boat. I hooked up a couple other CCF buddies with new panels as well. I only had the overlay for the right side. The left is still a work in progress. But this is the front and will post pictures of the back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic