NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Strut Installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Strut Installation
    Posted: February-10-2014 at 5:55am
I received all the parts to start the install of my new Prop Shaft and strut bearings and I am ready to re install the strut on the boat.
I worked quite a while trying to find the most natural position.
It came off with zero shims but to get the shaft in the center of the log I had to add a shim to the rear of the strut. Shim is .100 thick.
With this shim and the shaft coupling not bolted but touching the engine it rotates really smooth with little drag. Without the shim in the same position it rotates with quite a bit of drag, sits in the bottom of the log and it takes a strong hand to turn it.

To keep the shaft in the center of the log I need to use the .100 shim.
One .100 washer under each of the two rear bolts. I don't like using the shim but it does fix my issue.
Before I pull this apart and use the 5200 to put the strut in permanently am I missing anything? Should I look for another way to get the strut aligned?
I did think about having it milled, taking the strut to a machine shop and having them cut .100 off the front of the strut and tapering to the rear of the strut. I think this would give the same fix with no washers needed?
I have not used the 5200 before so I don't know how much working time I have installing the strut before it starts to cure?

The ARE shaft is a very nice piece. If you have not used one the shaft coupler comes threaded and has a provided bolt/cap you can use to remove the shaft any time you wish. Very easy to use to release the shaft from the coupler with only one wrench needed.

I am using the new Plastic/Delryn bushings in the strut. They fit very well and it now has zero play, good tight fit but rotates smoothly.
After reading that others had issues with a tight shaft after installing this type bushing I chose to thread my set screws through the plastic bushing. My old set screws in the strut would not come out so I had to drill them. After installing the new bushings I just drilled through them and tapped the hole all the way through the strut and bushing. I used red lock tite when I installed the set screws.
I used 3/16 x 10-32 set screws, they fit perfect, went in till flush and were at least 1/32 short of hitting the shaft. Align the strut bushings so the thicker part is under the set screw rather than the water channel.   I did this because I was thinking the plastic would deflect when a set screw was tightened against it. I feel this method will hold it in place but will not distort at all. The shaft fit stayed the same before and after the set screw installation.

I did buy new packing, I chose the Kevlar newer packing, my old packing only has 100 hours on it and worked perfectly with no drip while in neutral and perfect drip in gear. Do I really need to replace this? Does not take much time but it works so well I hate to mess with a good thing.

The last thing/tip on this job. I have read to cut the old cutlass bearing with a hack saw or saws-all. I chose to use a hacksaw even though I have a good saws-all out of fear of cutting too deep with the saws-all and causing damage to my strut.
The hacksaw method was hard to control. I found myself cutting through both ends of the cutlass bearing but not getting the middle cut out. I actually cut it in 4 places, I only wanted to do 2 but I could see I was not getting all the way though and I wanted to weaken it so I could collapse it and remove it. It came out very hard. I was afraid I was going to ruin the strut. I bet it took me more than two hours to get it out. First time for this but that seemed like a lot of time for a simple job. If you go slow this can be done without damage to your strut but it is not simple. On a do over I may choose the saws-all method.

I plan to use a sharpie and leave locater marks so I can hit the sweet spot on final install of the strut, it seems the 5200 will squeeze out and hide my markers if I am not careful.

My first thought is to install the strut and shaft with the log removed, get it fully square bolted tight and let the 5200 cure for a day and then remove the shaft again and install the log seal.

Thanks for any tips you can share on properly installing the strut.

Mark
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:07am
Mark, careful- there is a good chance the shaft will sag under its own weight even with the phenolic strut bushings. The sag with standard rubber/brass bushings is significant. In order to align the strut to the log, you need to take some weight off the trans end and rotate the shaft- trying to find the location where it spins freely. The point where it spins freely is where it wants to be (shaft aligned to strut)- and you want the shaft to be located in the center of the log at this point. The strut needs to move until that occurs.

Terminology- the "log hose" is rubber, and yes you should have it removed while installing the strut. The "log" is the brass fitting glassed to the hull that the log hose installs onto.

You have plenty of working time with 4200 or 5200 if you use the normal stuff (they also sell a fast cure but I would not recommend it). It takes a full day to set up, and several to fully cure. Definitely wear latex gloves when handling it- its sticky and will get everywhere. Keep acetone handy for cleanup. I dont see the sharpie marks helping much. I would do all your dry fitting first and make sure youre happy. Then disassemble, then install the strut (5200 and bolts) and then verify alignment with the shaft to make sure it matches your test fit. It is common for the slop in the bolt holes along with the sealant to affect alignment significantly, requiring some adjustment during your test fit. A big hammer comes in handy.

As far as shims go, theyre fine to use but .100 is pretty thick. The last one I did was off this much and I decided to take a grinder to the strut base instead. Doing it in small steps, followed by a file, and verifying flatness with a straight edge, it came out perfect. You may want to consider doing the same.

On the packing, the original stuff may have been working well before... but after being removed and reinstalled, theres a good chance it will leak if you leave it. It may have low hours but it is also 20 years old. Replace it with the goretex stuff while youve got everything apart- no brainer.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:40am
Mark, I did this recently on my 89.

I could not get the shaft centered in the log without SS washers on the rear; the resident experts tell me this is fine if no more than a single washer is used.

I used 4200 instead of 5200 so I could get the strut off without a hot wire. I got the 10 oz tubes cheap at Amazon. I think you have quite a bit of time before standard 5200 cures (it cures about 10-20 times more slowly than the fast cure; with fast cure you still probably have an hour or more - link to 3M Marine Application Profile PDF).

Getting the old bearing out was the worst part of the whole thing, I don't think mine had ever been changed (1250 hours on the boat); I had the same problem with the hack saw and worried I would damage the strut with a sawzall.

I think the question about the packing is a personal one. The old packing may be worth a try...do you want to mess with it again any time soon? Is your new packing Kevlar or Gortex (PTFE)? Anyway, the packing is pretty easy to install and adjust, so you may want to bite the bullet and do it now. Also, my old shaft was scored at the packing glad, if yours was too, the old packing may not conform as well to the new shaft. All in all, I would do it now.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:41am
There is one of resident experts now...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 3:12pm
Thanks guys, good advice. The packing I purchased is the Gore Tex GFO 3/16 x 24 inch. Sorry, not Kevlar as I first reported, brain fade issue.
I did use a wood block with a V cut to help support the shaft so it did not sag, the happy place seems right in line with the current engine coupler, the shaft spins freely with my .100 spacers. When I take them out the shaft binds unless I lower the shaft till it is at the bottom of the log, log hose is not installed. This is why I shimmed it to raise the happy position of the shaft. It turns freely and I can slide it forward and slip the couplers together while it still spins freely.
I do not like using the spacers, I think I give up a lot of structural support on the strut not having full contact unless the 5200 firms up to be hard as a rock once cured.
The OEM set up seemed to use silicone between the strut and fiberglass.
I scraped it all off and it all looked like clear silicone except for around the outside where it was a white compound that was firmer like caulk.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 4:21pm
Ah, sounds like youve got the concept, good deal.

I'd massage the strut to avoid using such a large spacer. A single thin washer would be ok, but .100 is quite a bit. 5200 is pretty serious stuff- its not just a sealer, but a pretty strong adhesive. Ive used it on a number of underwater fittings (struts included) but 4200 will make a future removal a bit easier.

Hopefully that 3/16" goretex is the right size... CC switched up the packing nut sizes a bit, its always a crapshoot what size you need if you dont measure.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 4:55pm
I will take a look at massaging the strut, it is winter and no rush.
Ski Dim showed the 3/16 for my 95 Nautique. My fear about grinding, fileing the strut is getting it off center, right now it centers really well.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 5:12pm
I dont use washers to shim. I use thickened epoxy.
Tape off the hull and strut with packing tape to make clean up easier. (epoxy doesn't stick to packing tape)Mix up a batch of micro balloons and West to peanut butter or thicker consistency and butter the strut. Jack it into place and let it set. Push a drill bit through the holes before you drop it out for sealer.
I do not have a use for 5200 at all on these types of boats. Polysulfied is fine, I have bolts and therefore need a sealer, not a nuclear adhesive and at the rate I hit bottom and bend the strut I would use a zipper if I could.
That is how this hack does it anyway...
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 5:16pm
Another tip:
Get a shaft zinc and put it on after the stuffing box. The egg shape can be jammed into the tube opening to help self-center the shaft.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 10:52pm
Thanks for the extra tips, I had to Google Micro Balloons, have not used that yet.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Another tip:
Get a shaft zinc and put it on after the stuffing box. The egg shape can be jammed into the tube opening to help self-center the shaft.

I like your thinking John
'82 Ski Tique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:21pm
After verifying the need again for the .100 shim I took my 4" belt sander that has a large flat sanding surface and worked a little on the bottom of the Strut using the sander and a straight edge. I was able to put a taper on it but on install the shaft was still a little low in the log.
I added .040 shims this time and it hit dead center of the log and the shaft spins freely. I went ahead and used the 5200 since I already purchased it and the strut is installed. It fit so well the coupler only has .003 clearance as is without touching any adjustments. I will adjust as I get time, I was always able to get these closer to .001 in the past.
Unfortunately Tims warning about the 3/16 rope seal came true, the log has 1/4 rope seal in it. I will need to re order.
I think I will leave it sit a day or two to let the strut set up. I would hate to have a leak because I was in a hurry to assemble.
Thanks again for the advice and help along the way.
So far I really like the plastic type log bushings/cutlass bearing.
The shaft is very tight in it, zero play, but rotates really smooth even with a dry shaft. In place with no prop on yet the shaft rotates easily with one hand. I like it.
I was tempted to try the epoxy method to seat the strut but I have nearly zero fiberglass experience and opted for a method I understood better although 5200 is a pain to get off everything it did install and smooth pretty easy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:37pm
Sounds great, good job :)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 4:53am
Finished up tonight, worked on the engine/coupler alignment, got it under .0015. Very happy with that. Fitted the prop to the new shaft, used a little valve grinding compound and 5 minutes worth of seating process, cleaned it up and installed the prop.
The finished product has me very pleased. One finger is plenty to rotate the propeller with no lube and zero play in the shaft bushing now. The packing is not yet seated but fully installed with the nut hand tight. Glad it is done and looking forward to a water test and final packing nut adjustment.
I used razor blades to cut the packing material, I found I needed a new blade for every cut or I got slight shredding rather than a very clean smooth cut. I had a box of blades so it worked out well.
Again, Thanks for the advice, the tutorials on this forum answered every question I had along the way.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2014 at 2:04pm
Did the first water test Sunday, I had hand tightened the packing nut prior to launching. The packing is 1/4 inch Teflon packing from West Marine, looked just like the factory packing removed. I had the Gore Tex packing in 3/16 on hand ready to use but found 1/4 in my boat when I removed it and bought the West product locally to finish installation.
I ran it 2.5 hours, mostly idle in gear with several runs from 20 to 47 MPH. I had a heck of a time getting it to drip. I finally loosened the nut all the way off while in gear at idle and worked the nut up and down the shaft in the water that was coming in. I worked it side to side and up and down trying to loosen it up. On re install I was able to get 5-6 drips per minute with no load on the nut. I spun it down till I felt contact, with no pressure and backed off a full turn before locking it down. With it this loose and after 2 + hours clock time I still only get 5-6 drips per minute. It is cold at idle but gets warm after high rpm use. I plan to run it more and see if it breaks in and leaks more. The shaft and log nut never felt hot but I would like 10 or more drips per minute and a cold log and shaft after a fast run. Can you guys share anything on this? I am considering starting over with new packing. Although the packing I pulled out was definitely 1/4 inch I am thinking the 3/16 might fit better, the 1/4 inch is so wide with three wraps I only get about 4-5 turns of the nut before I have contact with the log so very few threads are holding it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2014 at 9:11pm
Mark,
You may need to repack. I've been through the problem once. When the new packing is over tightened, no matter how loose the packing nut is, the packing never loosens up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2014 at 10:04pm
I am thinking like you, pull and replace, I never tightened except with my hand but it may have been enough to compress it too much.
Am I correct thinking it should stay cool even after a high rpm run?
Any thoughts on trying to install the 3/16 packing? The 1/4 inch did install very tightly, I used the cut piece of PVC 1" pipe to help get it in place.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 6:22am
Warm to the touch is OK. I would just let it wear in naturally.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 12:44pm
Thanks for the opinion.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 7:16pm
I have a similar problem, was advised to buy 3/16 GFO/goretex by skiDIM, just pulled out the original packing and it measures 1/4
I guess its not worth risking? Of course the PO could have used the wrong stuff is there a way of measuring?
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 7:25pm
Looks like 1/4 to me if the packing is to be the same thickness as the wall thickness of the gland

'82 Ski Tique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 8:08pm
I used the 1/4 as it matched what I took out. I still have the 3/16 that Ski Dim listed for a 95 Nautique. The 1/4 is a tight fit.
I installed using a piece of cut 1 inch PVC pipe 2 inches long. A video on this site showed this technique. I have read on here that some just wrap the packing around the shaft and screw the nut on over the packing. Further reading on several sites say I most likely caused my packing issue by hand tightening. I probably over compressed the new packing. When I do it over I will assemble it being careful to not put any pressure on the packing when I install the packing nut.
I will lock it in place loose and run it like that at least 2 hours before adjusting at all. On the water at idle, parked or in gear the shaft log does not leak that much water into the boat. I bet it would take 15 minutes to get one gallon of water into the boat.
I had the nut off quite a while trying to get my packing loosened up for proper leak. I did get it to finally put out 5-6 drops per minute with no load on the packing from the nut.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 8:31pm
Mine was definitely too tight at first. I did not realize just hand tighten would compress it too much. Because I was tinkering, trying to get it to drip, did the same, loosened it all the way, and ran it a little, which got it to drip, then set it. I probably wore it in, not ideal on a brand new shaft At least the Gore has a little inherent lubrication.
89 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic