NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 stops after letting go of button

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 3:50pm
Sorry, it seemed like this thread was older than it really is.

Fuel system. Battery -> pumps
Ignition system. Battery -> plugs
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 3:45pm
In my original post I spoke of what I will bring with me when I go to the lake. I would appreciate if you where able to provide me with points to use the volt meter however.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 3:38pm
Get a voltmeter already.
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 3:29pm
No, the starter dis-engages when the rotation of the crank speeds up (I am sure there is a more technical answer)

All of the above is what happens eccept I don't hear the fuel pump buzz.... I did the first time I activated the keypad after being away from it for a week. But every time it will start and run for 3 seconds more than I hold the starter button. The green led light go on in the proper sequence, right led blinks w/every code number and goes solid after code and start button are pushed. When I push the start button again the left (port) led goes solid green awaiting you to start it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 3:14pm
If the lanyard or it's bypass was a problem I don't think it would run at all.

So you press and hold start and continue holding after it starts, does the starter remain engaged??

When you code up the keypad initially the green light should go on after your code and a single push of start, when you press start again that should be ignition, gauges should activate, you should hear fuel pumps prime, then pressing and holding start again should activate the starter.

Is this what you are seeing/hearing??
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 9:52pm
I pulled the connections to the key pad and re-connected them. I am wondering if the is another connection somewhere for the safety switch that is by-passed that has come loose? When I checked the purple wires in the harness where the safety switch use to be there were a total of 3 that where purple with one of them not connected to anything and the other 2 where spliced together.

So after sleeping on it I am thinking it is electrical... I must have fuel since I can start it and it will run for a little while.

I have this breaker panel but I really can't see how it works... many just be a tripped breaker (Part#S6289)

Would the "start run" breaker be an issue if I can start and stop after 3 seconds? I would think I would not be able to even start based on the name of the breaker.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 7:57pm
That's easy, Don't stop pushing the start button!

Would suspect the keypad like GearE mentioned but would also wonder if a low voltage issue? Have you gone through the electrical connections and cleaned as req'd??

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 6:25pm
I'd be the last one to know but I wonder if it's something to do with the key pad. Or something not sensing that it's running kills the power,kinda why I wanted to avoid having a key pad. I'm sure someone in the know will answer by tomorrow
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 3:39pm
I have gone through in as much detail as I can the Poor Mans GT40 section without the proper tools… I do not have a lanyard as it is bypassed and I even checked the connection of the wires as it was this way when I bought it. I checked the 20amp fuse at the battery and tried the jumper to the STO Connector and it does not seem to be turning on the full pump. I can make the engine run as long as I want by keeping my finger on the start button and it is only after I left go that it shuts off.

There seems to be some kind of panel way under the dash next to my bilge pump override switch but I am not sure what it is for.

I tried a new relay from Advanced auto and it did nothing different. I when around the engine looking for loose connections but nothing made a difference.

I plan on making some jumper wires of various lengths and to bring my multi-tester with me next weekend. I don't have any of those tools at the lake. I do not have a Star Tester to follow the diagnostic steps in the GT40 Manual..

It is a Boss 5.8 in a 2001' year Ski Nautique
Any help would be appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic