NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

05 - 2006 Wont Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 05 - 2006 Wont Start
    Posted: December-26-2014 at 7:21pm
So my 206 will not start. Tried the tether switch but no luck. I am thinking there is an issue with the fuel pump as when the start code is entered the fuel charge is not smooth and sounds like a faint "clicking". Thoughts?
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 7:42pm
If everything was perfect earlier and you think it's the tether..... your throttle was bumped out of neutral...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 8:03pm
Just have been bit by this before....always easy to check the tether..
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

If everything was perfect earlier and you think it's the tether..... your throttle was bumped out of neutral...
this one gets me about once a year, my dad likes to switch it off in gear
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 10:49pm
So it cranks but does not fire and start? Or doesn't even crank over?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 11:32pm
Seems the other posts lean toward throttle position. Neutral safety switch? Not up on new boat technology but in both of mine if I get no action I just rattle the throttle a bit to get true neutral and then they fire right up.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 11:34pm
This is a long long shot, but I remember there was some discussion on here about the fuel water separator filter. It seems like it has to been changed periodically or it will not let the engine start. Being that the boat is kind of new to you, it may just be time to change it out. Hopefully, it is just in gear.

It is hard to have the entire fleet running at once.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 11:53pm
Between my fuel issues and Greg's trouble,luckily for you Don that we didn't unload these problems on to you would not want unload my troubles to a friend
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 10:24am
Check battery and throttle position
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 10:25am
Does the horn work on the keypad
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 12:57pm
Have you checked the cap, in 500hrs I have been thru 3.
When cycling the ignition on are both fuel pumps running? When my fuel pump crapped out symptoms were the same, the remote one mounted to the starboard side of the block (low pressure iirc} was the culprit. There is also a relay which could be the issue. Zach helped my diagnose and change mine out, give him a call.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 6:02pm
Battery / throttle position / horn on keypad all checked out (new battery btw). Tried to grab a video of the symptoms - battery about dead on IPad so a quick link

206 wont start
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 6:34pm
Did you say whether or not you heard the fuel pumps engage if you turn it on but don't crank it? Cause it sounds like its cranking but not getting fuel. I know you've fought the FCC tube and fuel pump fight before, but it sounds like its not getting any fuel.

The clicking is weird, could that be the low pressure pump trying to pull fuel and failing?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Tried to grab a video of the symptoms - battery about dead on IPad so a quick link
206 wont start

Greg,
When your battery gets charged, see if you can fix your link.    It won't work for me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Tried to grab a video of the symptoms - battery about dead on IPad so a quick link
206 wont start

Greg,
When your battery gets charged, see if you can fix your link.    It won't work for me.
here pete
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 7:06pm
Do not hear the fuel pump after entering the start code and pushing the start button. Typically you would enter the code, press the start button once, here the the pump "charge" the system, the system alarm/alert horn and the hit start again and away you would go.
Kind of frustrating.....
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 7:52pm
we may have a winner. Of course, remember who the diagnosis is coming from.

Is it turning on when you crank it?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 7:52pm
Greg that weird clinking clunking noise that you hear after you stop cranking ?????

Does not sound like a relay but it may be the fuel pump. Find the low pressure pump that quinner mentioned and see if it is the source of that noise. Put a hand on it and see if it is vibrating while making that noise. It could also be the high pressure pump in the FCC but my dollar is on the LP pump.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 9:10pm
Greg, do yourself a favor and get a test light. Test the pump wiring while someone else runs the normal ignition processes. If you get power there try to start it. When it doesn't restart remove your FCC canister and see how much fuel is in there. If it's full that isn't your issue. Bear in mind that full in the FCC canister is probably about half given the volume that the pump and fuel filter take up inside.

If you have no power to the pumps start looking into the relays under the rectangular cover at the rear of the engine.

quick and easily you could give it a snort of starting fluid and crank it and see if it fires. If it doesn't fire than there is an ignition issue or a sensor of sorts causing the ECM to shut the ignition off.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 9:14pm
This won't help at all, but I like your old school Wake Tech board there. I got one of those too. :)
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 9:16pm
The weird clicking must be the Perfect Pass servo eh?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2014 at 10:16pm
Have the test light in the tool bag. Odd that today it went with the first try in the driveway then when backed into the water same freaking symptoms....floated boat off trailer to a "level position" and it cranked up after a couple of tries. Came back to the ramp after pulling Luke for +/- 45 minutes shut it off when loaded on trailer and tried to start and same $h#t.....boat is now back in the garage with 2 days of rain in the forcast.

Granted it should make no difference if the boat is level or not but could this be an indicator of poor / limited fuel delivery to the FCC?

Need to get this figured out before NYD as this is the boom tow boat for the tourney.

Zach if you don't mind can you send me your cell just in case?
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Between my fuel issues and Greg's trouble,luckily for you Don that we didn't unload these problems on to you would not want unload my troubles to a friend

Gary,

This is why I was offering to keep this one ( Greg's 206) running while he was working on that 70 Mustang. I was going to keep your Mustang limbered up while you were figuring out that Vee Drive and restoring that Shamrock.

Call me a giver !!!!!!!!

After last summer I am basically a Holley expert. I now know just to go buy a new one and forget about the rebuild.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 12:43am
Donald
Please take note I have not brought up your fuel / carburation issues....I can sY that the mustang will go through fuel darn near as fast as you could pour it in. Think it may be on par with Tim's BFN
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 1:14am
Zach is giving you gold - but if we are taking bets the low pressure fuel pump is the usual culprit.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 10:37am
Greg, check your PM for my cell. I am not "working" this week but if you end up needing something expedited just call me (I will probably be at the shop Monday shooting my 351 in the paint booth).

Maybe it just needs some holiday booze to make it come back to life haha.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 11:06am
Greg, sounds just like when my LPP went bad, sometimes it would start, others nothing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 11:26am

Thanks CQ
What were you referring to as the "cap" in your earlier post? Any pointers for pulling the pump if that proves to be the culprit?
I am guessing pulling the FCC remains a big PIA much like it was on the GT40.

If the low pressure pump is what feeds the system for starting, I would most likely call this the culprit as well as once the baot is started there are no performance issues.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 2:31pm
Dist Cap was "cap" reference. The FCC on the newer version is much easier to service then on the GT40. Low pressure feeds the FCC while the high pressure (inside the FCC) pushes to the injectors. The low pressure was pretty easy to change although Zach did most of the work, lol, couple fuel lines, electrical connector and 3 bolts IIRC. If you open the FCC change your filter if it is more then a couple seasons old.

Thought I read somewhere the HPP is not marine specific and can be had for around $50, oem will be north of a hundo. Your local CC dealer or any PCM dealer "should" stock that pump if you are in a hurry like I was.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

if you are in a hurry like I was.
he had to get back to get his platform mod underway
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic