Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Right Starter battery for a GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right Starter battery for a GT40
    Posted: January-28-2015 at 12:34pm
I bought a 2001'SN and it came with 2 brand new deep cycle batteries so I need to at least replace one for a starter battery. Been looking around the forum for recommendations including the FAQ to no avail.

The battery in the battery whole built in the floor is too tall to put the lid on. Is a group 24 the right size? concerned that it might not be enough for a 5.8 HO.

Then what brands are recommended. Does not have to be the most expensive un less the most expensive is really worth it. I don't really listen to much music w/o the engine running and I only have a head unit (no amps).
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 12:51pm
The group is the physical dimensions. I think group 65 is what you need to fit in the battery box, and a lot here use the Wal-mart Everstarts and have good luck.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 12:51pm
You need a group 65 starting battery if you want the lid to close.
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 12:54pm
Thanks,

I think the one you are talking about at Walmart is $61 dollars... thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:00pm
Just get the biggest CCA you can. It isn't 100% necessary to go that high but I believe it does make them last a bit longer if they are operating at less than their recommended work load etc.

Guess it isn't as important here as you will probably be running stereo stuff off the deep cycle.
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:02pm
I may take the 2nd battery out becuase of the extra weight. I don't like nose diving
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:12pm
If it doesn't have some crazy sound system it's really useless to have 2 batteries let alone a deep cycle.

I have a 1000 CA group 65 and a 400W amp. I can run that set up for as long as I want as long as I fire it up once an hour and let it run for 5-10 minutes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Just get the biggest CCA you can. It isn't 100% necessary to go that high but I believe it does make them last a bit longer if they are operating at less than their recommended work load etc.

Guess it isn't as important here as you will probably be running stereo stuff off the deep cycle.

I disagree. I went this route twice and both didn't last one season. I found out that to get the max CCA, internal support is sacrificed. Without the support, the battery can't stand up to the pounding our boats give them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by rrichr rrichr wrote:

I bought a 2001'SN and it came with 2 brand new deep cycle batteries

Did the PO install them? Was it a "marina"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 1:42pm
Pete, dad had a Deka new and I adopted it when he bought a new battery for his rig. Same CA as my current battery and we collectively got around 8 years out of it not charging in the winters. My next one was oreilly auto parts branded and with no winter charging it's still going strong in the 86 at about 3-4 years now. My current battery is our supplier who also manufactures Deka.

I have high hopes for it as well. Maybe you just drive em to hard Pete

Optima are nowhere near worth the money. Most we see in here are bad and need replaced and we have the proper charger to recharge deeply discharged AGM batteries.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:17pm

Pete, dad had a Deka new and I adopted it when he bought a new battery for his rig. Same CA as my current battery and we collectively got around 8 years out of it not charging in the winters.

You didn't mention the CCA!

My two failures were Exide 1000 CCA's. I actually called Exide after number 2 and that's when I found out the internal support is sacrificed. The engineer told me that's how the high CCA's are done in all brands.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:39pm
Exide batteries are JUNNNNNNNKKK Pete.

The manufacture the batteries for Rural King and Big R. I bought one in a pinch up at the lake one summer and had to consecutively replace it each spring for 3 years in a row.

4th year I lost the receipt and said F it and bought the O'reilly one.
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:36pm
8122, The PO put the deep cycles in...

So you are saying not to go with the 1000 CCA's becuase of short life span becuase of design? OK
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:41pm

Exide batteries are JUNNNNNNNKKK Pete.

Zach,
Don't worry, I haven't owned one in many years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:14pm

Optima are nowhere near worth the money. Most we see in here are bad and need replaced and we have the proper charger to recharge deeply discharged AGM batteries.

I gotta disagree with you on this one Zach.
I bought an optima for my boat before I left WI. In fact the sticker on it says Feb. '01. Ran it for ten years and replaced it because I thought it was the cause of low voltage messing up my starter. It was ten years old after all.
So I got another Optima. Didn't fix my starter issue but then neither did a rebuild. A new starter fixed that issue.

I bought the new Optima online and didn't have a core charge so the old one just sat on the garage floor for two years (on a rubber mat). I never touched it other than to move it out of my way when I cleaned the garage.
Then my truck battery went out so I grabbed the old Optima just for the hell of it and used it to jump start my truck much to my surprise. So I decided I might as well use it. It was way smaller than the OEM truck battery so I had to get my dremel and enlarge the terminal holes on the battery hold down cover so it would fit and it's been in there for a little over a year now working perfectly. It's now 14 years old.

I'll never hesitate to spend the money for an Optima again.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:27pm
For what it is worth, my GT40 is powered by a Duralast 41-DL, it came with the boat, it is only 650 CA. Now this will be the kiss of death, but it is going on 10 years, I also do not charge it during the winter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

the old one just sat on the garage floor for two years (on a rubber mat).

Eddie,
Don't tell me you believe batteries still need to be stored on something to insulate them!! There was a time way back when the cases were basically coal tar and the scenario had merit. The case would absorb water moisture and then depending on the floor moisture would create a path to ground so the battery would discharge. That's not the case anymore due to the plastic cases.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:49pm
I guess I still believed in the proverbial "Santa Clause" as well..

Thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:03pm

I gotta disagree with you on this one Zach.
I bought an optima for my boat before I left WI. In fact the sticker on it says Feb. '01. Ran it for ten years and replaced it because I thought it was the cause of low voltage messing up my starter. It was ten years old after all.
So I got another Optima. Didn't fix my starter issue but then neither did a rebuild. A new starter fixed that issue.

I bought the new Optima online and didn't have a core charge so the old one just sat on the garage floor for two years (on a rubber mat). I never touched it other than to move it out of my way when I cleaned the garage.
Then my truck battery went out so I grabbed the old Optima just for the hell of it and used it to jump start my truck much to my surprise. So I decided I might as well use it. It was way smaller than the OEM truck battery so I had to get my dremel and enlarge the terminal holes on the battery hold down cover so it would fit and it's been in there for a little over a year now working perfectly. It's now 14 years old.

I'll never hesitate to spend the money for an Optima again.

Nice Eddie. I know people don't properly care for things very often and an AGM requires a little more attention keeping it at a full or near to full charge. We just see them bad a lot coming through here. Quality might have also been better 14 years ago before the brand was very popular and production costs and margins came into play.

Heck, I was only 13 years old when you bought that battery!! haha.

I just think if I can get 6-10 years out of a standard battery without special treatment then why would I throw down an extra 100-120 bucks for a battery that will probably last the same amount of time. It would eventually iron out of the optima lasted 5 more years but how much longer would that take in the scheme of things.

Steve you just got the kiss of death!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:07pm
Unless you get an insane deal on the optima and the standard battery lasts 10 years the optima would have to last 20 years to make financial sense. Although I get a pretty big charge out of seeing how long of a service life I can get out of things.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

For what it is worth, my GT40 is powered by a Duralast 41-DL, it came with the boat, it is only 650 CA. but it is going on 10 years, I also do not charge it during the winter.

Steve,
You aren't doing anything wrong not charging it in the winter. I have NEVER charged any of mine plus, they all stay in the boats all winter without any issues. My X battery has to be at least 12 years old.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:15pm
Same with me Pete, well except this winter. I did put mine on the tractor trickle charger for a few hours when I took the boat apart since it was right beside it.

I guess I drive the boat often and hard enough it goes to bed in the winter with a nice full charge. Disconnect the terminals obviously but never take it out.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eddie,
Don't tell me you believe batteries still need to be stored on something to insulate them!!

Naw Pete, I have a rubber mat laid out the width of my garage in front of the work bench so the concrete isn't so hard on these old knees. The battery just kept it from moving around. Now I have to keep a couple old warped rotors on it for the same purpose.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:27pm

I guess I drive the boat often and hard enough it goes to bed in the winter with a nice full charge. Disconnect the terminals obviously but never take it out.

I too feel when driven, they will have a full charge. This last New Years up north, I did go down to the boat house and pulled the battery out of the X. It hasn't been in the water nor on a charger for over 2 years so I was concerned about a self discharge taking the level down to the point where it would freeze and break. I sure would not want acid in the bottom of a wood boat. Anyway, pulled the battery, hooked up the charger, it went up to 8 amps and then immediately down to about 2 amps. No self discharge   with this 13 year old battery! I wish I could remember the brand!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:40pm
My Air Nautique had a Optima red top in it when I bought it. It's been a great battery. But mine is an older one, before they got bought out by Johnson Controls and the quality dropped. I will go back with a AGM, I don't want water bouncing around where the battery is located, at the front of the bow.
Tim D
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eddie,
Don't tell me you believe batteries still need to be stored on something to insulate them!!

You know, it's funny- my dad was in my garage a few weeks ago and saw my boat batteries sitting on the floor directly. He very confidently said "you know, you have to get those batteries onto some wood blocks or they will discharge". Even though I knew he was totally wrong about this, I did it anyway so that the next time he came into the garage he would see them up on the blocks. Sometimes you just have to show pops you're still listening! I didn't have the heart to tell him the advice was outdated.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:47pm

Steve you just got the kiss of death!

I suppose I should just go buy a new one right now, huh?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:51pm
Joel, I keep my mine on wood work benches haha.

Steve, better get on it and get it done!!

I have seen my fair share of junk batteries with our family car dealership back home. 9 times out of ten if it was a dead car it was either a duralast or a reconditioned battery.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 6:56pm
The day I drained 8+ quarts of oil out of my friends 351 PCM I noticed he had his battery in the house on a wood block, on newspaper, on carpet...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 7:03pm
Hahahhaha. He just wanted to make it well lubricated!!!

Back when we pulled my 73 911 out of its storage we drained about 22 quarts out of it. The thing was a dry sump and has a capacity of 11 quarts. No wonder they could never get it to stop blowing oil smoke out of the tailpipe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic