Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jpage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper Plate
    Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:33pm
Need some information on damper plates, How can you tell if it is bad and needs replacing?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:45pm
Boat info sure would help. Has it ever been replaced? General consensus is to replace whenever trans is out.They can start making noise or the boat can fail to move
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jpage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:50pm
351W in a '84 MasterCraft, I am currently rebuilding the motor and the machine shop said that someone drilled the weights out of the flywheel and it was 24 grams out of balance. I always had a little bit of vibration and noise when running in reverse.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:09pm
You should feel a bad dampner in f or r at low idles (or high speed if it's real bad). The dampner only spins 1 direction, so the r vibration was most likely something else IMO.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:10pm
John,
From a recent post:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jellison jellison wrote:

My question is... Does the plate have to look broken to actually be broken?

Also when i wiggle the spline on the transmission where it attaches to the flywheel I can hear a small amount of slop/movement in the transmission. IS THIS NORMAL????!!!!

Jason,
The damper center hub should be preloaded with the springs so there should not be any movement.

The slop on the trans, is it radial? If so, you may have a bearing problem. The best way to check for radial play is with a dial indicator.

John,
As mentioned, put a new one in. Also, flywheels do not use weights for balance. Like any cylindrical rotating object, weight is REMOVED by spot drilling near the outer diameter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jpage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:34pm
The overall imbalance was 24 grams, all i know is weight is being added to correct the issue
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:40pm
Pete, small block Fords do use an external weight,351 and early 302's are 28oz imbalance late 302's use a 50 oz. some aftermarket flywheels have bolt on weights so they can be used on any engine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by jpage jpage wrote:

I always had a little bit of vibration and noise when running in reverse.

I’ve had the same reverse vibration issue on two of my ski boats. On both boats, I replaced the prop with an acme prop, replaced the damper plate, replacing the strut bushings and adjusted shaft alignment to spec. The issue never went away. I think it’s from cavitation, not imbalance.

In forward, both boats had no vibration issues.

Does anyone else have this vibration issue in reverse?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 11:42am
Come to think of it dad's does too but it's the lower step on the ladder vibrating. Guessing not too many have the ladder though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pete, small block Fords do use an external weight,351 and early 302's are 28oz imbalance late 302's use a 50 oz. some aftermarket flywheels have bolt on weights so they can be used on any engine

Gary,
Thanks for the info. There's an old saying that says you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!

BTW, my 77 302 flywheel was drilled.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 8:48pm
They still drill them as an assembly when balancing though . It only becomes s concern when your mixing or matching parts. If you pull your engine apart for a rebuild no problem, need a replacement part you have to know what you have. I don't think Chevys are that way, we need to ask Steve.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

They still drill them as an assembly when balancing though . It only becomes s concern when your mixing or matching parts. If you pull your engine apart for a rebuild no problem, need a replacement part you have to know what you have. I don't think Chevys are that way, we need to ask Steve.

Here ya go Gary. Cheby has external balance too.👍 Smallblock 400..

Edit..
Just seen post age... better late tha never I reckon.lol

“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 6:17am
Originally posted by mamigacz mamigacz wrote:

I’ve had the same reverse vibration issue on two of my ski boats. On both boats, I replaced the prop with an acme prop, replaced the damper plate, replacing the strut bushings and adjusted shaft alignment to spec. The issue never went away. I think it’s from cavitation, not imbalance.

In forward, both boats had no vibration issues.

You could have transmission problems with reverse - I have pulled them apart and rear clutches in real bad shape that were working but could not have been happy about it. I have seen boats with the controls not quite correctly adjusted that operate lower rpms in reverse at idle and that sometimes makes the damper plate angry. Also the exhaust on some boats can be a bit more rumbly when in reverse pushing water into the pipes... it would really depend on the specific type of vibration.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You could have transmission problems with reverse - I have pulled them apart and rear clutches in real bad shape that were working but could not have been happy about it. I have seen boats with the controls not quite correctly adjusted that operate lower rpms in reverse at idle and that sometimes makes the damper plate angry. Also the exhaust on some boats can be a bit more rumbly when in reverse pushing water into the pipes... it would really depend on the specific type of vibration.

On both boats, I had the velvet drives rebuilt. The vibration was there before and after the rebuilds.

I'll check on the control adjustment to see if that helps.

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by mamigacz mamigacz wrote:

Since reverse uses the planetary gearset, there are always extra harmonics.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic