Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Ski Supreme bad idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Ski Supreme bad idle
    Posted: March-18-2015 at 9:51pm
I own a 1987 Ski Supreme with a Ford 351 Commander engine. The boat runs pretty well especially when in gear. The idling is pretty bad, its nearly impossible to keep no wake (which is obviously terrible when trying to get kids up on the ski while dragging). Sometimes when kicking into gear, it stalls. And usually idling for more than 10-15 seconds will also cause it to stall. Can anyone help or have any suggestions? I really want to fix this before the season!!

Thanks!
jpage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 11:49pm
Sounds like a bad power valve in the carb, time to have it rebuilt
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 11:51pm
The carb is relatively new. Only a little over 3 years old. When I bought the boat. It has done it since they day I bought it. Somedays more than others. Somedays it runs perfectly fine and others it will stall out when idling.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:01am
Have you set the idle mixture adjustments? Also check timing & point gap. Clean plugs help a bunch too. If humidity changes from 1 day to the next, could be a bad spark plug wire arcing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:04am
I'm not too familiar with checking the idle mixture. How would one go about doing that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:03pm
Not trying to be jerk, but suggest searching the site.

Google search works best for me, try this:

"idle mixture adjustment + correctcraftfan"

Ben Franklin
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:15pm
At least you still have a couple months before you will need it in NH.
When was the last tune-up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor and carb adjustment? The fuel we are forced to run is not healthy for these old carbed engines either..
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 3:08pm
Every search I've found on google have used meters that I definitely do not own. I am a 21 year old college student with limited resources. this is also my first boat.

The last full tune up was about 3 years ago. The flame arrestor needs to be cleaned. Plugs are less than a year old. I am replacing the impeller within the next few weeks. I might be replacing the fuel lines. But other than that there hasn't been much tuning.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 3:57pm
A really bad idle including stalling is in my experience most often the result of flooding caused by failure of the float and the attached needle valve to control the level of fuel in the bowls. Fuel overflows the bowls and drips into the intake manifold at idle, causing an excessively rich mixture that is very difficult to ignite. You may be able to confirm this by looking down the throat of the carb with the flame arrestor off while it is idling. If you see fuel dripping at idle, then that is the culprit.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 4:00pm
Adjustment

I would at least open up the dizzy cap & make sure the points aren't corroed, maybe run some fine emery cloth between them just cause you can. Relube the cam block, oil the weights too.

Ben Franklin
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 8:29pm
I'll be sure to check looking down the throat of the carb. If that seems to be the problem with fuel dripping, what should I look to do?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 8:58pm
Replace the needle & seat, maybe even the float. You just need to take off the bowl to do this, not hard. Get OEM Holley parts if you can.

Ben Franklin
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 9:55pm
Got it! thanks, I will definitely look into that!
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 11:20pm
Hobbs carburetor shop , Pelham NH. 603-635-2415
These guy are great! Local holley dealer, will rebuild your carb or supply all the right parts.
Old school goin back to school!
cmacde2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmacde2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 1:21am
That is perfect! Any idea on prices?
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 9:00pm
I sent a Holly 4160 to them a couple years ago cost for the clean and rebuild was about $110 plus shipping back. They are going to do another one for me next week. They are kinda old school as in they don't take credit cards or debit cards... So they will take a check or send it to you or back to you c.o.d. By ups.... Call em up,ask for Chuck, and tell them what you want to do and he will help you out!
Old school goin back to school!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic