NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold Missing Paint and Peeling

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold Missing Paint and Peeling
    Posted: March-18-2015 at 11:13pm
O.k. so I looked at a 2007 v-drive today and one of the manifolds had missing paint and peeling paint at the fitting where a hose comes off the top of the manifold and then the hose runs towards the transom of the boat. The other side is fine and a picture of the engine a year or so ago shows the paint intact. I also need to mention that this is a Monsoon 340. Not P.C.M. and it is in a Malibu. My gut reaction was an over heating issue. But I've never seen hoses come off an exhaust manifold (other than the exhaust hose). Any thoughts as to what could have caused this? I've had P.C.M.'s since 1987 and the paint always stayed intact (except for a little rusting around the drain plugs).
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 12:38am
One cause could be a bad paint job from factory, or maybe the guy replaced a frozen one & didn't clean it well before painting.

I'd do a leakdown test or compression test if the guy will let you. Another valuable test would be to pressure test cooling circuit @ 15 PSI but that would be rather intrusive for a buyer to request.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 10:44am
I definitely will have a compression test done if I decide to pursue this boat. A pressure test won't happen. At least not yet. There is a hose on the back that has been cut in half I've circled the areas of concern.

At this point I'm not going to do anything until the ice is out and it can be put in the water. I've never have entertained a purchase even close to the price range that this boat is at and I walked away with many more questions than answers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic