Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade to Fuel Injection 351W

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TurboZinke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade to Fuel Injection 351W
    Posted: May-01-2018 at 2:35pm
Has anyone upgraded their boat from carb to throttle body fuel injection? I found this kit on ebay for $1000. Curious if anyone has used one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EFI-Ford-Fuel-Injection-System-Complete-TBI-For-Stock-Small-Block-Ford-351-5-8L/321923555092?hash=item4af4239f14:g:8DoAAOSwcdBWS5vy&vxp=mtr
Never miss a good chance to shut up ~ Will Rogers
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 3:11pm
That won't work on your boat, it uses an oxygen sensor and that won't work with a wet exhaust.   Also, that kit is not for marine use, so not coast guard approved. And lastly, it's for a regular rotation motor, the distributor gear is different for reverse rotation motors.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by TurboZinke TurboZinke wrote:

Has anyone upgraded their boat from carb to throttle body fuel injection?

Cy,
Someone will ask so I might as well be first! Why do you want to go to fuel injection?

EDIT: I just noticed your hard to start post! When was the carb rebuilt?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 2:01pm
waste of time and money to try to convert.   

I have an extra holley that I rebuilt and ran.   I may be interested in selling it.   
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 6:13pm
General consensus is that if you want FI, it's easier to just get a new boat then to deal with the conversion.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 9:23pm
I know a guy that tried to convert his Ski Boat to a fuel injection system. He never got it running well enough that he was happy and got tired of fighting the battle and sold it.
He bought a FI Nautique and is now very happy.   The boat he sold was a 1967 Keaton utility with a 400 Pontiac engine. Keaton was a custom builder in Sacramento and back then the owner chose his engine.   His Nautique is a much better boat for his family and he loves the injection it uses.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 9:46pm
I would not consider TBI an upgrade over a Carburetor. You have Ford and rotation problems to deal with as well as reduced economy and horse power.
For that $ you could buy a brand new carb and a brand new prop that would make it run like a brand new boat.
If its any consolation Holley carburetors and I have never really got along. I run a Edelbrock (AFB) style marine carb and it works well for me but requires a wedge whereas the Holleys do not.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 3:59am
Save the ca$h and don't go after-market EFI. Instead, buy a new QuickFuel carb, Edelbrock intake manifold and new GT-40P heads. That combo will be a better bang-for-the-buck deal.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic