Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"New" 78 Ski Tique questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" 78 Ski Tique questions
    Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:09pm
Hello All,

Picked up my "new" 78 Ski Tique today and I have a few questions.

First, when I started giving her a pre-tow once over I heard a humming sound coming from the engine compartment. Thought it was the bilge or the blower - nope, key was in the on position and it was the electric fuel pump. My guess is it had been running for the 30 hours from the time I looked at it to the time I picked it up. Other than a discharged battery is there anything else I should worry about?

Second, after towing 70 miles up and down hills with a full tank I noticed fuel had leaked out the tank vent, is this normal?

Third, and final, this is my first operable inboard and I noticed when the seller started it he pulled the neutral safety out and put the throttle control in the reverse position. Is this the correct method?

Thanks in advance, I love this board.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:36pm
Congrats!

When towing...you might not want to fill the tank that full...fill it when you are close to the lake and yes it is typical.

Yes on the starting...pull the nuetral button out so you can rev it without it being in gear. Depending on the control box and where the neutral pull is as to which way you can move the throttle...forward or reverse...all sounds normal!

As far as the fuel pump...that electric pump has been changed from a mechanical one...which is fine, I don't know if there will be a problem from it running...it should be ok! You will know...it will supply enough pressure or it won't and it should run or not!

So...when are you taking it out? Have fun!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:56pm
Was that the boat in Austin? Congrats!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 10:57pm
Thanks Gary,

I guessed I would be okay on the fuel pump, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I hope to dunk her on Wed, ("working from home") and get a feel for her before her debut on Sat.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:02pm
Thanks Dude.

Nope, the boat was in Rockville, MD, just about 25 miles north of DC.

I am in Southern MD, near PAX between the Potomac and the Patuxent rivers. Stop by, I'll buy you a cold one!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:11pm
Mike: Congrats on the boat.

Sounds as tho you got some good advice already but I had to comment on your Amelia Earhart quote. Used to be a big fan of hers, read lots of books on her and the search for what happened to her and Fred Noonan. Bet not to many on here even know who she was.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:18pm
Thanks John,

I'm a big fan of Amelia as well. She embodied courage, determination, and adventure - qualities I respect.

Can't wait to fire this baby up, hope no one needs to search for me!

Mike

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:32pm
Jbear....so where the **** are you? Still in TN!

Mike good luck on the first splash...that thing will feel like a muscle car on water...sounds like one too! Hence "loud pipes save lives" and as 62wood would (wood) say "the only music in my boat is the sweet sound of the engine"

Have a good ride!
stang

The Super Air

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 12:03am
Congrats on a great little ride! My first boat was a 76 'tique....

As for the fuel pump, is it hooked up thru the ignition switch? I wired mine thru the "run" position on the switch, along with a toggle switch,... no worry about it running without key being on.

I havent done it on mine yet, but another safety measure is to use a low oil pressure switch... (cant run without oil pressure in engine)

As for the fuel, Gary is right on! I also use a fuel shut off valve between pump and carb, and close it before towing.

now,have some fun and get some pics posted!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 12:10am
69, Congratulations on the boat.

You may notice that your hour meter has advanced by 30 hours. I'm not sure on a 78, but I know on the 90s model boats that the hour meter moves when the key is on.

Side note - I have a colleague who collect Chord Automobiles. He spent years hunting down Amelia Earhart's Chord. When he finally found it, he learned the engine had been taken out and put in another Chord, so he spent a couple more years tracking that down. Great story, takes him about an hour to tell it. Net/net, he now owns Amelia Earhart's Chord. BKH

Livin' the Dream

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 11:26am
Congrats on the "new" boat 69- Are you bringin it up to NH this weekend?

As for the electric fuel pump- I though those would shut off when there was a certain amount of pressure in the line? Maybe some do and some don't?
-Brad
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 11:34am
Hey 69,,,
Nice find. I have a 78' Tique as well.. Hopefully it's not as "Cute" as mine......

Good luck with her.. She'll be fast and loud and a lot of fun to drive !!

Moj'
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 1:06pm
Cute??? I think the Tique is cool and a bit mean...a bad boy... So who got the cute thing started anyway?
stang

The Super Air

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

Cute??? I think the Tique is cool and a bit mean...a bad boy... So who got the cute thing started anyway?

I think it was a guy with a cute little red boat !!!! Anyway, back up to Green Lake this weekend to play on my cute boat some more !!!!
hahaha...
Moj'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic