Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas tank is out. What else should I replace?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas tank is out. What else should I replace?
    Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:10pm
Unfortunately my season is over with the Mustang. It was a great first summer with this boat. Got in a final two days of fall foliage crusing this past weekend.

Our lake water level has dropped due to lack of rain, and the dam gets lowered next week to drop the water level below the docks for winter. Time to get the boat out before it gets stuck on my lift.

Pulled the tank because it has a bunch of loose crap inside - I'm assuming rust. Will drop it off to the tank shop next week. Looks like it was previously worked on in 1999 (has a date on one side). Does this look like a factory tank?

While it's out I plan to replace the vent hose, bilge pump hose, filler hose, and reglue the carpet in this area. I also want to get my gas gauge working. I thought it was opaque due to rust in the tank, but it actually may just be red from overspray through the sight glass hole when the boat was painted.

My blower hose is currently plastic dryer vent tubing. What hose should be used for this application?

Should I replace the rudder packing? I'm not aware of it leaking but I'm already in here. Any other maintenance to do on the rudder mechanism?

1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:09pm
Are you in Australia?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:36pm
The carburetor...............you know why
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 3:26pm
Yes, carb and a replacement windshield are on the list to acquire over the winter/install next spring.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 3:39pm
Looks like a later aluminum tank, not the original steel.

I’d repack both glands while access is easy. I’d align it too.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 4:06pm
Tim, I'll check the tank with a magnet. There's a lot of solid crap rattling around inside so I'd assume it's steel - aluminum shouldn't rust. It was held down with a flat aluminum plate on each end.

How do I accurately set the packing with the boat out of the water? I don't want to set it too tight for the driveshaft gland, so I planned to replace that next spring once she's back in the water (I already have the packing). Does the rudder have leakage/drip requirements?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic