NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pertronix Ignitor/Coil Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pertronix Ignitor/Coil Setup
    Posted: May-24-2021 at 8:03pm
Last year was my first year of boat ownership and I discovered a few fun problems with my '76, namely a hot start issue and the fact that the gauges weren't exactly trustworthy. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone and am rewiring the entire boat while replacing the gauges (other than the speedometers). I inherited a pertronix Ignitor I installed by the previous owner, and replaced the coil with a Pertronix Flamethrower 1.5 ohm at the end of last year. I believe the Ignitor was the main source of the hot start issue as he had it wired on the wrong side of the ballast resistor, and switching it to a better 12v source almost entirely resolved the failure to start when the engine was hot.

My question is this: should this setup (Ignitor I w/ 1.5ohm coil) even use a ballast resistor in the first place? The pertronix literature appears to say that a V8 application doesn't need one, but I was hoping someone on here might be familiar with these units and confirm that.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 6:44am
I'm familiar enough with that setup to say ........... No resistor needed  Wink
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 1:29pm
Thanks again KENO, seems like you have a monopoly on the engine knowledge department here
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

Thanks again KENO, seems like you have a monopoly on the engine knowledge department here

Nah, just one of a number of people with a fair amount of experience Wink

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2021 at 11:39pm
KENO....the "PerTronics Whisperer"
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2021 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

KENO....the "PerTronics Whisperer"

Aw shucks Jonny, by the way, Lern tu spel Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2021 at 9:11am
Lemme see...
...PerTronics
...PerTronicks
...PeTronix
...um
...D.U.I.

That's it.

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2021 at 4:05pm
Um.............you forgot Pete tronics

DUI, that's hi tech from the mid 70's or something isn't it? Wink
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2021 at 7:41pm
How about mounting that coil, horizontally like stock coil was or is vertical required.
Think my new one is the same, 1.5 ohm flamethrower
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2021 at 7:46pm
Let's just say that vertical is not required Wink

There have been gazillions of horizontally mounted coils in cars and boats through the years without any dependability issues.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2021 at 9:04am

Coil doesn’t know which way it up or down, horizontally or vertical. Coil can be mounted anyway you would like. I have the same ignition setup as you. I mounted mine down low and out of the way on my BBC. I never cared in seeing that black can setting on top of the engine. If you are wondering if the oil in the coil will be a problem then the answer is no. Oil inside is only for heat transfer to cool the coil. I never seen a coil leak out the oil but if it does then it’s time to replace.

Many people don’t like the Pertronix ignition system setup as a replacement due to problems they have with them. But I never had an issue with mine and its been on for over 12 years.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Lemme see...
...PerTronics
...PerTronicks
...PeTronix
...um
...D.U.I.

That's it.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Um.............you forgot Pete tronics

DUI, that's hi tech from the mid 70's or something isn't it? Wink

A DUI is something you get from the PO-PO on the way home from the lake after having to many Tronics, Tronix, um... Tonics that's it.  Beer Beer Shocked
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 8:32am
Anyone had an issue with these pertronix ignitors failing when they get hot? My heat soak issue has now returned and the boat was missing hard and wouldn't rev past 2k after a few WOT runs followed by about 20min of sitting. The coil was pretty hot when I checked it, but I replaced the coil after having this issue at the beginning of last year and it's behaving the exact same as when it happened with the old coil. It only wanted to limp along with a ight throttle and would pop and fall on it's face over 1/4 throttle or so.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 1:33pm
Probably the only way you'll figure out if the Ignitor is causing your problem is by replacing it with another one or with something else.

How many volts are you getting to the Ignitor when the engine is running? They tend to be more finicky when you have low voltage going to them.

You'll probably get suggestions ranging from replacing the whole distributor with something like a DUI to going late stone age and putting points back in it.

You probably don't have the original points plate that people tend to throw out when they put in an electronic conversion though, since you bought the boat with the Pertronix already installed.

With the Ignitor 1, you can damage the internals by leaving the key in Run with the engine off.

Silly question time......you thought it was straightened out, then you messed with the secondaries on the carburetor. Are you sure it's not carburetor related since it's the last thing you touched?

Otherwise how's it run with secondaries that work?  Wink
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:06pm
Believe it or not, I may have the original points in a box of extras that the previous owner gave me. If I do, I may try reinstalling them to troubleshoot this.

I haven't metered at the Ignitor yet, but my new alternator puts out a pretty consistent 14.7v and the whole boat is rewired with 10ga copper so I don't think it's suffering from low voltage. However, the previous owner ran it off 6v for who knows how long so I'm wondering if it's damaged from that.

The boat runs pretty well when it's cool, but still feels like it's running out of steam and only hits 4100rpm flat out (around 37-38mph). I have a DIY fresh air exhaust so I don't know if that is a contributing factor.

The secondaries seem to be working now, but I didn't run it with the cover open until it was hot and at that point I couldn't get enough rpm to do much with them. I could see the linkage starting to move, but too much throttle and it just falls on it's face after it's been heat soaked
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:09pm
I'll also add that I metered the Ignitor mounting plate and had 0 ohms resistance to the battery ground on the motor. I also relocated the coil off the intake last night and reoriented it vertically to see if that might help. Not expecting much out of that though.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 7:29pm
Wanted to go to the lake today so I hooked the boat up to the hose first, since I don't have much confidence in it at this point. Couldn't even get it started. Took out the pertronix and reinstalled the points with the gap set at .017 and it fired right up. The neighbor let me borrow his timing light after that and I found the base timing set around 30 degrees at idle. Reset it at 10deg. It's got a bit of a rough idle so I thought I would adjust the idle mixture next, but it's only got about 10in of vacuum at 800rpm and the idle screws don't seem to have any effect. Also worth mentioning that the previous owner put an automotive 4160 on this thing. 

Turns out boats are expensive I guess.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2021 at 9:54pm
Name a hobby that isn't LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 5:50am
Isaac,
Great you got it going by using the point set and finding out the EI was the issue. Go and enjoy the water. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 5:59am
Sounds like the carburetor could use a good cleaning so that all the idle passages will do what they're supposed to.

Then again, if it's not a marine carburetor there are other solutions Wink

What makes you say it's not marine, only reason I ask is that an original 76 marine Holley didn't have j tubes on the vents and tends to fool people these days. It also had externally adjustable floats which also make people think it's not marine.

What's the list number on the carburetor? Here's a picture for reference. 

This one in the picture is 50419-1

Yours might be 6576 for example

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:26am

When you put the points in, did you check that the distributor weights had springs that weren't broken and the weights move freely.

They should resemble the ones in this picture of a clip down cap distributor like a 76 had.

One light spring that's always under tension and one heftier one that has an oval end and is only under tension at higher speeds like around 3500 rpm or higher

The slots in the advance limiter plate in this picture are worn which makes getting steady advance and then return back to base timing at idle kinda erratic.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:48am
The list number on the carb is 1850-4. I assumed it was an automotive carb because of the lack of j tubes, no port for the vent line on the fuel pump, and it's set up for a cable choke. When I reinstalled the points I did check the weights, which moved freely. The springs are still in place, and hopefully still in working order. If I can convince my wife it's not going to break down I might take it to the lake today and give it another test run.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:04am
Let's just say that you assumed right, that's not a marine carburetor Wink

The port for the vent line is only on some marine Holleys, others have no port and use a fitting on the flame arrestor

Your eventual solution should be a marine carburetor for safety reasons.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:16am
I'm planning on converting it to EFI this winter. My main goal right now is getting the boat to be reliable enough to haul it down to Dale hollow for a family trip in August
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:57am

I'm planning on converting it to EFI this winter.

Isaac,
Make sure you keep us imformed on the EFI project. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 8:06am
Anything in particular you want to see on it? I'm planning on using the Holley Sniper kit which seems like a pretty straightforward system. Not sure what I'll end up doing with the ignition system now, I was planning on keeping the pertronix until all this happened.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 8:23am
Options are to get another and carefully match the recommended coil resistance, and cross fingers.
Alternatively, buy another pertronix, and use it to trigger an msd box, or another spark system or maybe a junkyard Duraspark. The high input impedance of the spark amp limits current through the pertronix to a fraction of it's design.

My one data point has lasted 21 years as a trigger after 4 seasons working solo
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 8:34am
Part of me wants to get another Pertronix ignitor since this one wasn't installed correctly, but I also have reliability concerns for the obvious reasons
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 10:29am

Not sure what I'll end up doing with the ignition system now, I was planning on keeping the pertronix until all this happened.

I'd keep the point set in it, do the EFI and then see how it runs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 12:01pm
I guess my boat just doesn't love me. Out on the lake now and it still runs like garbage with a load on it. Runs a little better when I return it to 30deg advance base timing, which I don't fully understand, but still won't rev out. So, I limped it over to a quiet part of the lake to let the kiddo swim and make the best of it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic