Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning Behind Airguide Lens

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Behind Airguide Lens
    Posted: October-18-2006 at 6:56pm
I have been working on my fall routine of detailing the 88. I have always wanted to clean the bugs out from behind the Airguide speedos but have been afraid to try. How hard is it to get the bezel/lens off for cleaning ??

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 10:59am
It is not hard. You must remove the speedos first. Place a towel on your work bench. With the speedo laying on its side (on the towel), use the palm of your hand to roll the speedo back and forth. Apply very firm pressure with your palm. You will hear some noises, do not get alarmed. Keeping rolling to loosen the bezel and it will start to walk off the housing. Once the bezel starts to move off the housing a bit, you can then pull it off with your hands. Do not try prying with tools or you will scare the bezel. to reinstall, simply push it back on. No glue is used during manufacturing.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 7:54pm
The bugs are gone man they were bugging me! Thanks David worked great! The only thing different was I had to remove the calibration knob with a tiny allen wrench. I have always thought the lens and bezel was permanently attached. It is great to have this web site to get access to all the knowledge and experience.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 11:24am
I know this is an old thread, but I want to replace the lenses of my speedos.

I can get the bezel off, and the lens is loose, but still held on by the calibration adjuster - mine is a straight shaft. Does the shaft stay connected to the speedo, and do I just pull the lens off around it?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 12:28pm
Yes, I believe that is correct.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 2:13pm
I just replaced my lense with a chemistry watch glass. Both my speedos where bad and I removed everything. The problem was obvious and I got them fixe. I am so glad. To remove them first you need to remove the knob. On the side their is a set screw. Remove that and the knob will come out. Then gently twist the silver ring and that will come off. The adjuster shaft is part of the assembly of the speedometer and doesn't come off. Be careful when removing the glass that you don't break it. If your adjuster rubber seal in the glass is toasted or not there you can find them at Lowes. Looks like a donut and is installed in the glass. This prevents water for coming in into the speedo.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 4:19pm
Thanks very much, I'll have a look tomorrow. I think I read a thread of your before about using the watch glass :) I'm planning to do the same or just a flat piece of glass.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 4:30pm
If you need help let me know. I bought about 6 them thinking I migth brake them but the process of drilling the glass went great. The fit was good too. I can make them for you if you need help but your looks great from the picture. Also, when you put the glass you loose the center needle marker, i.e. the white needle.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 5:37am
Hi,

The pic above was not my boat :) I managed to remove the lenses this weekend.

Thanks for the offer on the glass, but I live in South Africa... I am going to see if I can find some watch glass locally. I measured the diameter of the lenses as 91mm. What size glass did you order? 90mm?

EDIT: Just found a post that says 90mm :) I can only find 800mm or 100mm locally :(

Thanks,
Cheers
Greg
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 9:41am
I managed to track down some 90mm watch glass :)

anthonylizardi, how did you drill the hole for the adjustment pin?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:53am
Great,
    I used a Dremel tool with a drill jig/stand. With a glass/tile drill bit i made the hole. To get the correct location I taped both of them together with the old one on the top. I put them flat on the table and drill from the top. About the drill bit, other people recommended diamond drill bit for the dremmel. What I realized was that the diamond tips I had were a lot smaller than the hole and it will be a lot of work. I used a glass/tile drill, those have a triangular tip, and with that I got the initial hole. Then using a diamond tip I increase the size of the hole a little bit more. I think the last step was not needed. Having the dremmel press jig helped a lot getting the hole started but it should be really easy. Take your time when doing it. Get more than 2 watch glass if you can. I wish I had taken pictures.

Good luck,
Anthony
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:11pm
Hey Anthony,

Thanks very much. I've seen those drill bits at the hardware store. Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers
Greg
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

The bugs are gone man they were bugging me!

Bugs a famous for that. Thats why they are called bugs!!! lol
74SkiNautique
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 3:11pm
Damn.... the watch glasses that I was told were 90mm were actually 95mm :( and very bad quality... Will have to try track down some others!
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 11:58am
Anthony...

I am still trying to track down some 90mm watch glasses locally, but no luck so far. All the stores are out of stock till January!

A quick question... The curve of the watch glass is a little "shallower" than the original lens, as far as I can see. Does the bezel push back on all the way, as the original?

I was thinking of using a flat piece of glass, but it looks like tis will stop the bezel going all the way on, as the gap between the inner and out bezel are designed for a curved lens.

Do your speedos also have a loose inner bezel that grips the lens on the inside?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 12:09pm
Greg,
    The only thing I lost was the the little marker needle used to mark a certain speed. Everything else fits as the previous one and all parts fit in as the other ones. I will try to get a picture soon.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 12:52pm
Maybe you can use a diamond bit on a dremel and cut a little bit of the outside and make the 95 mm fit. I know my 90 fit fine but they are not a snug fit. So the 95mm can't be that far off. Also, the beazel ring should hide any imperfection when you cut them the edge.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:36pm
Hey Anthony,

I was thinking about modifying the 95mm to fit, but they were terrible quality - uneven glass and air bubbles, etc.

I think I might just have to order online from the US or wait till January :(

I might just try the idea of flat glass as well - I'll first cut a piece of thin wood of cardboard or maybe plexi-glass to see it if will work.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:46pm
Give it a shot, maybe with a little creativity it might work. I checked for the shipping charges to SA with UPS and is $114. Ufff!!! I thought about sending them to you but that is outrageaous for a $2 piece of glass. I even thought that you can use the bottom of two wine glass and cut the stem. Until you can get watch glass. Maybe a glass dish, check your kitchen .
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:48pm
Which city are you on?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 4:53pm
Regular mail is $40 which is not at bad but still.
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 4:25am
Hi,

I'll see how things go - shipping from the US only if everything else fails :) Oh, I'm in Cape Town.

I normally use USPS when I order parts online, and the prices aren't too bad.

Thanks for all the help so far...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic