Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

~92’ Ski Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tbrown8052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ~92’ Ski Nautique Restoration
    Posted: April-25-2024 at 11:49am
Hey guys! Excited to find this forum because I am trying to slowly start gathering information as my funds build up to restore my parents “allegedly” 92’ ski nautique. Neither of them are 100% on the year, I’ve heard 92’, 93, and once a 95’. It’s been very neglected over the last 10 years, I will begrudgingly post some pictures even though it breaks my heart. Mechanically she is sound except for a small hole in the gas tank(still runs though), so any leads on a new gas tank, teak swim deck and all interior upholstery would be appreciated. Fortunately we do have new ski nautique stickers to put on both sides as well. Any advice on the best way to go about this would be appreciated.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2024 at 1:56pm
Well, everyone just freaked out when you said it had a small hole in the gas tank but it "still runs"!

Besides that moment, you can find all the information you could possibly need on this site.  Though not from me since I have an '86.  Enjoy the journey.
Builder
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2024 at 2:38pm
Look on starboard side of transom near the top.  You will see the Hull ID Number.  We can decode the hull number and tell you the year if the boat.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2024 at 3:49pm
Haha surprisingly it’ll start up and stay going, if you hear it start to lag we just go under the dog house and rev it up a few times. Worked great for a the whole summer about 2 years ago as long as we kept the gas level under the little hole, thankfully it’s about 3/4 up on the tank.

I will see about getting that number this weekend, hopefully it is a 92’ because I’ve done a bit of research on that year.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2024 at 5:04pm
Hole in gas tank?  I hope your blower works.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2024 at 9:49pm
...Maybe hope it's a '93 as that's the year CC went to all composite construction.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 11:02am
You can figure out the year pretty easily by looking at the last 2 digits in the HIN .that Jonny mentioned

If it says 92......it's a 92 model year

If it says 93......it's a 93.model year

Here's a page out of a CC owners manual from that time period explaining all 12 digits of their HIN

The HIN in the example is a "little hard to read" but the explanation is good.

The only exact replacement tanks you'll find are used, but yours must be able to be repaired

PS.............. some people would put a screw and a little sealer in the hole and be good for the next 10 years, most wouldn't.   Wink

andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 11:23am
I'm surprised he has a hole in the tank of a '92.  Teri, was it corrosion or was the tank punctured in some way?

I've pulled the aluminum tank for my '86 and, after cleaning, it looks in great shape.  After reading this i'm going to test it somehow before I prep and paint it.  I suppose the only test would be to put it under vacuum or pressure and watch the gauge.  Probably vacuum since I have a vacuum pump and all the gauges and valves already set up.
Builder
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 11:38am
First Welcome aboard.   Second:  Fix that gas tank before the boat Blows up on you.   Many boats like ours have exploded and people have been injured and died.   Not exaggerating just sharing facts.

Gas fumes will migrate to the bottom of the boat.   You hit the starter and BOOM.
Locally we had 2 men die in separate accidents in inboard boats.

They are great boats but all boats like these have blowers and the owners need to learn the basics to have them operate safely.    No big deal if you follow the safety precautions.  (And have no gasoline leaks)
Those that never use the bowers are playing Russian Roulette.  Some day an accident can happen.

Plug the leak or replace the tank first, the rest can be fixed up as you enjoy the boat this summer.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by andrewmarani andrewmarani wrote:

I'm surprised he has a hole in the tank of a '92.  Teri, was it corrosion or was the tank punctured in some way?

92 had a plastic tank so corrosion isn't really in the picture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 1:53pm
It is a super small, pin hole in the plastic gas tank, no idea how it happened as we found it about 3 years ago when we decided to put it in the water for a summer. We took out the back seats and the panels that cover the gas tank, so when we run it all fumes go right out of the boat. Not a permanent solution but temporary until we decide the best way. Considered using JB Weld but not sure if that will hold up to the pressure as I've gotten mixed reviews on it. The hole is where you see the slight discoloration on the left hand side of the tank picture.

We will be cleaning it this weekend but here are pics I took last weekend. Her maintenance and covers got abandoned when I went to college in 2016. I would clean it everytime I came home but if I wasn't there to cover her back up she was just left to the elements, which is why it is the way it is now. We took out the padding on the lookout seat, sides, and back seat but the shell for the back seat is still good.  The tarp that was on the canopy blew off and I'll be putting a new one on this weekend, as well as cleaning everything. I've seem boats in worse condition, so I know this is fixable.  Thankfully the motor is still doing good due to random fix ups over the years(impellor, distributor, spark plugs, seals, oil change and filter, etc.), my dad is an absolute wizard when it comes to motors. It'll just take time, money, and persistence to get it back to the glory days.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 8:09pm
If you're thinking about a repair you could call "temporary" for the gas tank, you should find someone who repairs plastic tanks locally, like a radiator repair shop that can fix plastic end tanks on radiators or someone who fixes automotive/marine tanks. The material imight be different, but they have experience, do it for a living and could fix it or give you some good advice or maybe direct you to someone else or a recommend a repair kit for your material.

Your "plastic" is probably HDPE (high density polyethylene) but there are other materials too that get used for gas tanks.

The pressure at that spot in your tank is minimal (just from the height of gas over the pinhole) and the tank is vented so there's no pressure buildup as gas expands since it goes out the vent line.

The hundred percent foolproof, easy to give advice is to get a new tank, but that's a lot easier said than done, especially in a slant back Ski Nautique 

PS..............Temporary is one of those terms that means different things to different people  Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 9:53pm
You might be amazed how Teak comes back to life if you sand it and add several coats of some Teak Oil.   That dried out dead look can come back and look brand new.  I have an old 4x24 belt sander that can take a 1/16 inch off that Teak deck in about 20 minutes.  Add Oil and maybe you have a keeper.

JB weld will not seal gasoline.  Neither will most other sealants.  Silicone breaks down into a grease like mess when exposed to gas fumes.   Best to follow Kens advice and see if there is a professional available, I am thinking the pin hole leak is most likely a stress crack but who knows what happened to the boat over its life so far.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2024 at 10:31pm
Welcome Cool boat. Worthy a restoration
Definitely new interior
Enjoy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 9:13am
Alright guys, it is confirmed a 92’ we checked the hull number. Cleaned it up and put the canopy on. Figured out we need a new impeller before we can start it up but she does turn over. Also going to get a new blower hose, drive shaft packing and fuel tank to fuel filter hose. Would you guys happen to know the length of the fuel tank to fuel filter hose? And the size because I don’t remember what he said it was.

We have drive shaft packing in it but my dad thinks the place he gets parts at gave him the wrong size. We have the 1 1/8th packing box on it with 1/4 packing but getting 3/16 packing instead. Does that sound more right? When I can get to my computer I’ll post the pictures of her all cleaned up.

I’m also getting the parts from nautique parts, so if anyone has any discount/coupon codes feel free to share haha
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 2:25pm
92… are you sure? Pics above would suggest a late ‘90 or early ‘91. Have never seen a ‘92 with the short windshield wings, missing the rear grab handle and with the 89 championships triangle decal.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 4:03pm
Tim, you have sharp eyes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 5:21pm
The gas tank was manufactured in 91’ and the hull number ends with 92’. There’s a good chance the sticker was added later because the person that had the boat before us put that on there, it has a few of those stickers on it. Also has the world champion sticker that’s from 97-2001 on it as well.

Edit: Nevermind, it is a 91’ I just have 92’ stuck in my head. My memory doesn’t work that well these days and I’m only 25
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2024 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Tbrown8052 Tbrown8052 wrote:

Alright guys, it is confirmed a 92’ we checked the hull number. Cleaned it up and put the canopy on. Figured out we need a new impeller before we can start it up but she does turn over. Also going to get a new blower hose, drive shaft packing and fuel tank to fuel filter hose. Would you guys happen to know the length of the fuel tank to fuel filter hose? And the size because I don’t remember what he said it was.

We have drive shaft packing in it but my dad thinks the place he gets parts at gave him the wrong size. We have the 1 1/8th packing box on it with 1/4 packing but getting 3/16 packing instead. Does that sound more right? When I can get to my computer I’ll post the pictures of her all cleaned up.

I’m also getting the parts from nautique parts, so if anyone has any discount/coupon codes feel free to share haha

Well, whatever year it is, you'd be better off measuring the fuel line length. It's 3/8 ID USCG approved fuel line that's more fire resistant than automotive stuff,

Sounds like you're unsure on the packing, it's relatively cheap, get both sizes and you'll cover all the bases. Most times when someone asks, the reply is wrong because there wasn't a lot of consistency.

And the discount code you're looking for is PND Wink
ErnieJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErnieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2024 at 11:07am
Mr. Brown,
On your gas tank, is it rectangular or is the back angled to match the transom? I have a good aluminum tank from an '87 2001 Nautigue that I would sell if it can work. I'll send measurements if you have a rectangular tank with no angles.
ErnieJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2024 at 11:56am
We will have to replace the fuel line later then, not absolutely necessary just something that will need done in the future. I went ahead and ordered the 3/16 because my dad said it just needed to be slightly smaller. Also got new a blower hose and impeller.

Does anyone have a red steering cable in their boat? It’s to the left of the drive shaft if you’re looking at the engine from the back. Ive been seeing that they no longer make that particular type anymore and it’s now only a black cable. At least that is the only type on nautique parts. I briefly saw that someone made a detailed post but haven’t found it yet.

Ernie, I will have to check that, it might be angled but I can’t remember what it looked like when we took it out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2024 at 4:46pm
Teri

Your tank is plastic and angled, Ernie's is aluminum and squared off

Is Teri a guy or a girl, just so we get it right. Google say's it's a girls name but ya' never know. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2024 at 8:55pm
Good to know and I am a girl yes but I work in construction so I do tend to answer to anything.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2024 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Tbrown8052 Tbrown8052 wrote:

Good to know and I am a girl yes but I work in construction so I do tend to answer to anything.

Well......glad we got that straight  Wink

Your boat takes the steering cable like you mentioned from nautiqueparts in the link 

It's an oddball size and throw on the cable and if you use something more generic your steering won't turn as sharp, due to a combination of things like the length of the inner cable, the length of the support tube at the back that the cable mounts to and the length of the tiller arm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrown8052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:34pm
Alright guys, what about a fuel pump for the boat?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic