NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
    Posted: December-30-2006 at 8:16am
I am thinking of upgrading the intake manifold on my 84 PCM. Is anyone aware of any clearance issues between the engine cover and spark arrestor with the added height of the intake and the carb adapter plate? If so is there a "low rise" arrestor that is available?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2006 at 9:54am
The Performer will raise the carb about 1.5". Here is a pic of a Performer, Weiand Stealth, and stock intake manifold:

To see if you will have enough clearance with your current flame arrestor, put some clay on the arrestor and close the motor box. That will let you know how much room you have to work with.

There are some low profile arrestors out there, but it can be difficult to find one with the fittings you need (1/4" fuel line and 5/8" breather). They do exist, though.

Another option would be to reduce the height of the carb spacer. If needed, I may replace the 1" stock spacer with a 1/2". You would just need to plumb a fitting in for your PCV line.

Or, if the engine box doesnt shut, you can just prop it open with a piece of wood. Lots of options!

Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2006 at 8:41am
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of using clay/putty. Which intake are you running the Edelbrock or the Weiand? Any preference?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2006 at 12:20pm
Im running the Weiand. Its a little more aggressive and reportedly has better midrange power. I never installed the Performer, so I cant give a first hand comparison. Im very happy with the Weiand, but there are many here who run the Performer and have seen a nice improvement.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2006 at 3:16pm
put me down on the list of Edelbrock owners,gobs of torque,and a good steady 400 rpm idle.My stroker was built for low to midrange,thus the Edelbrock .If you are going to rev the motor,4000 and above i would look at something else............ boat dr
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2006 at 9:26pm
TRBenj, how does the boat run out of the hole with the spacer on the aftermarket intake? I have the edelbrock but left the spacer off. By the way, I took my arrestor apart and cut 1/2 inch off with a dremel tool a rea$$embled.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2007 at 3:34am
I have a weiand also,great midrange punch and top end power. I had to put on a low profile flame arrestor that is about 3in high.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2007 at 3:08pm
83, I have no driveability issues with the manifold/spacer. Even with my more aggressive cam, it idles at 600 RPM and does not stumble out of the hole.

MM, I notice you have the PCV plumbed into the manifold itself- any issues with that cylinder running lean? Any issues with your throttle cable binding? I raised the bracket so it mounts closer to horizontal.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2007 at 7:17pm
MM; Nice lookin' motor. I am always jealous of you guys that can actualy work on these boats. I don't think I will ever get back the "oil-change" level.

Hope you and Blondie had a great New Years. Where's the pics?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 3:18am
jbear..New years was great, Im going to post some pics under(happy new years) an intake and a motor dress up kit and yours can look just as good, check out (summit)

TRBenj...no it dont run lean. I think I do need a new cable, and i need to get rid of oil cap and put the hose back on! I have a new holley 130gph fuel pump and I want to put a K&N flame arrestor,and a air vent handel, and a 750 double pumper(mech secondary) a good way to bolt on 30hp!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 9:32pm
MM; Saw the pics. Nice party. Looks as tho Blondie had fun.

"Summit"....is that a parts place?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 10:50pm
[QUOTE=jbear]

"Summit"....is that a parts place?

Yeah..its not just a parts place, its the candy store of parts!
Give it a look(summitracing.com)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 11:22pm
Wow...unbelieveable! You guys who know what you are lookin' for must love that site. Looks like you could spend some money there. Thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 8:15am
Jbear, Summit has just about anything you could ever want and their prices are usually the best around. Ive had good experiences with them.

MM, Im a little confused- why the big power gain with increased fuel flow? Are you currently running lean? Ive asked here before about the vacuum vs. mechanical secondaries and the resounding preference was for vacuum. Can you give us any insight?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 11:40pm
Tim: Been lookin' at that website. Wow lots of stuff there I know nothing about. Quess a guy could spend some money there. Like 62wood says, ya just gotta go ahead and try. I am just always scared to take anything apart on my boat. I have been pretty lucky, all the boats I've had and I've never had to do much on them execpt the oil. On the other hand, after all these boats you'd think I would know how to do something by now.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 11:46pm
TRB...Why are you running that spacer? my motor dont run lean at all,it runs great! The PCV is to relieve block pressure, the higher the RPMs the more pressure you will have! On a stock motor a 600cfm carb is fine, the vacuum secondaries open slower, then the mechanical secondaries and the 750 has more CFM. CFM is
(cubic foot per-min) of air-fuel mix. The 750 will give you more acceleration and top-end horsepower

My boat runs 53-mph with a stock, cam , heads and prop.          

At this time next year I will have it running 60mph, thats my goal.

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 12:11am
Jbear..have the catalog sent to you anyway, its much better to look at the book, if you need help with anything just let me know. But if you are going to get an intake, for your boat and the fact that your a footer I would go with the performer for better pulling power.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 8:08am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

TRB...Why are you running that spacer? my motor dont run lean at all,it runs great! The PCV is to relieve block pressure, the higher the RPMs the more pressure you will have! On a stock motor a 600cfm carb is fine, the vacuum secondaries open slower, then the mechanical secondaries and the 750 has more CFM. CFM is
(cubic foot per-min) of air-fuel mix. The 750 will give you more acceleration and top-end horsepower

My boat runs 53-mph with a stock, cam , heads and prop.          

At this time next year I will have it running 60mph, thats my goal.

MM, Im not concerned about your motor running lean in general- I have been told that plumbing the PCV directly to the manifold may cause that one cylinder (looks like youre tapped into #4) will run leaner than the rest. Have you ever done a plug check?

If you dont like how fast your secondaries are opening, why not switch out the power valve? Im using a 7.5 and it opens at the same point as stock (with the 6.5). Not sure where the advantage of a double pumper comes in for a ski boat.

I would think a 600 CFM carb would be more than sufficient for a 351w unless you stroke it. According to this carburetor CFM calculator (and others like it), even a motor with 100% volumetric efficiency will only need more than 600 CFM if you run past 5900 RPM. At a more realistic 92% VE, you can run up to 6400 RPM before you need a bigger carb. If I were to get a new carb, Id go 750 too- it sure wouldnt hurt anything. I would think that gaining 30 hp from the swap would be unrealistic, though.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 9:07am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would think that gaining 30 hp from the swap would be unrealistic, though.

I concur, especially with stock heads and cam.

BTW the PV has no effect on the actuation of the secondaries, one needs to change the diaphram spring.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 9:47am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

BTW the PV has no effect on the actuation of the secondaries, one needs to change the diaphram spring.

That'll teach me to post before having my morning coffee. Not sure what I was thinking, as the PV is on the primary side. Thanks for the correction!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 12:44pm
good luck with the 60 mph. stock 351 and 53 mph in a SN please blow smoke up someone elses a$$.

Why remove the spacer,, another stupid idea, it's not for the PVC it's to add horse power by means of better fuel atomization before entering the cylinder.

oh well,

if you added a larger carb and did not change anything else your not realy doing anything, unless it was already undersized to start with, 30 hp increase a little far fetched because your not flowing anymore gas thru the cylinders, cam lift hasn't changed or the duration or the piston size or the valve size. Your ideas on HP gains are far fetched bullsh*t most of the time. this being one of them.
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

good luck with the 60 mph. stock 351 and 53 mph in a SN please blow smoke up someone elses a$$.

Why remove the spacer,, another stupid idea, it's not for the PVC it's to add horse power by means of better fuel atomization before entering the cylinder.

oh well,

if you added a larger carb and did not change anything else your not realy doing anything, unless it was already undersized to start with, 30 hp increase a little far fetched because your not flowing anymore gas thru the cylinders, cam lift hasn't changed or the duration or the piston size or the valve size. Your ideas on HP gains are far fetched bullsh*t most of the time. this being one of them.

Translates to---
Leave the 600 where it is-post more pics of blondgirl-beer and boats
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 4:43pm
I never said my motor was stock , just the cam and heads are right now, but not for long..

Dont you have some parts to to mail off or something??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

I never said my motor was stock , just the cam and heads are right now, but not for long..

Obviously youve got the Stealth and an newer Mallory distributor... you hiding anything good under those valve covers?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 5:35pm
yeah...It has .40 over flat tops,high volume oil pump,roller chain, roller rockers,all ARP bolts to name a few. And soon it will have a roller cam and lifters along with new heads.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 8:14pm
Mark, guess who's back?????? was kinda quiet, there for a while i thought he lost intrest in all us dummies............ boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 8:30pm
MM, how are you converting to roller?

What type of roller rockers? I have some 1.6 pedestal mount FRPP RR's that Ill be putting on this spring. I also picked up some valve covers much like yours- I a$$ume the RR's fit under them without any issues?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 10:14pm
Tim, my money says the RRs will fit under those vc's, as we just put a set of FRPP 1.7's on a 302 with lower old style vc's. But after installing them and conferring with several real motor heads, I think my money may have been spent elsewhere in terms of HP on a 5200rpm engine, but I got swayed by the add'l lift of the 1.7 vs stock 1.6 ratio, FWIW.
MM, while 60 is a lofty goal, I think it's reachable, but with something approaching 400 HP I'd bet. But a nice cam and alum heads (or equiv irons) along with what you already have will get you close. I'm working towards that same plateau so keep a look in your mirror.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 3:44am
reidp...I agree with you on everthing you said! I have the (ford racing RR) also, I love that clatter sound they make at high RPM. They are just like the the Crane energizers. I kinda like the (pro-comp) alum heads, I dont know what cam I want yet. 400hp sounds about right and if that dont do it, a set of hi-teks will ice the cake..

boat dr...The quiet was nice..but you know..all good things come to an end..    
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 3:55am
One thing to keep in mind is that our ski boats are not designed for high speeds. They are instead designed for pulling and tracking a straight course through the slalom buoys. They do a great job at this but at the sacrifice of speed. Even the barefoot boats which come equiped with big block engines just barely break 50 MPH. If you are going to try to get 60 MPH out of your boat you will probably need more than engine mods. With your mods you'll be able to yank the tow rope out of king kong's hands but your boat will still only run about 46 to 50 tops. And that's with everything just right. Just my 2 cents.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic