NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 rebuild components

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 10:55pm
Looks good Alan . Keep the pics coming.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 5:25pm
Questions;
I have my engine out during a total restoration. I took it to an axcellent rebuilder. He has limited exp. in marine though. What should I be aware of?
He has a couple of questions so far.
1. Oil pump does it matter with reverse rotation?
2.What kind of rings? moly, chrome, or cast?
Also my boat is a 77 he says the engine is a 71 or 72?
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 5:39pm
Duck, I'm not an expert here but this is what I'm putting in.

I went with moly rings. Middle of the road but good for this level of performance, definately better than stock cast. They suggest chrome moly if you have higher compression, nitrous or a blower.

Went with tri metal cleavite bearings for mains and rods. These are an excelent bearing and much better than stock.

I also went with forged pistons over original cast or hyperuetectic. The forged I found were only slightly more than the hypers. My rebuilder is sceptical of aftermarker cast pistons from any mfg'r, just see's them as budget pistons and not worth the savings.

I may be wrong on this but the oil pump is driven by the distributor shaft which turns the same direction no matter what rotation the engine spins. Someone else may have to chime in on that but I believe that to be true so the pump is standard.

Anything else ask away I'll give it my best.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 6:01pm
piston to cyl wall clearance's and ring gaps are different as well as the piston is rotated 180 degrees I believe.

You also need the correct oil seals for the crank front and rear, and the cams are not the same std vs rev. you need to pay attentions to the circlulation pump as well as the starter. some of these items are not a big deal if you are re-using the old ones but they should be inspected and re-built if needed. Since your rebuilding the motor no need putting junk/worn out parts back on it. Also now is a good time to update the ign system if point style and the alternator if it has an external regulator. Dipping the exhaust manifolds to clean them is also a good choice too.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 6:52pm
Chris I agree with all you have to say in the second paragraph,but as far as turning the pistons 180 and the piston to cyl. clearance,my stroker was all set up as a hi per rebuild.
Hope it's right , got 22 hrs. and have hammered her hard for the last 8 hrs,5200 rpms plus.Explain why you would turn the pistons,would the valve cut outs be backward,sorry for the dumb question....boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 7:43pm
well it was mainly for flat top or dished pistons and has been brought up here a couple of times, mainly by awhite70 if I recall correctly, Has something to do with the loading on the wrist pin and piston for the 180, there might be a slight offsit on the wrist pin's bore on the piston and with the rev rotation it effects it. The larger ring gaps and cyl wall/piston clearance has to do I think with the lower block temps and expansion of the piston so you need the extra clearance for the piston to grow or it scuffs the cyl wall.

For notched pistons it could be an issue, I've seen some where both sides are notched so it's not a big deal and if there isn't a slight offsit to the wrist pin then it's not an issue either.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:14pm
chris, guess I knew about the offset but did not give it any thought when giving details to my engine builder,by the way not a single drop of oil from the rear seal.Eagle stroker crank w/one piece rear main.
One other issue i have was with the part # you gave for the rear main,my info says the Felpro # 11746
Victor #JV568
Could not locate either,Bought the bottom end set from Vince Skidim,maybe i wrote the #'s down wrong??????????????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:26pm
Rotating the pistons 180 is correct if they have an offset. My rebuilder was surprised to see that the pistons we pulled out of my block were not rotated from the factory. He said he would check when he pulled it apart to see if there was an offset or not. The new pistons going in have a directional arrow on them and I will leave it to the machinist to let me know if they are offset and need to be installed reversed. Pick everything up thursday so I can start putting it all back together this weekend.

Here are the seal numbers, even states reverse rotation on the packaging.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:29pm
Doc and 79, am I correct on the rotation of the oil pump? Doesn't matter since the dist. turns the same direction no matter if the motor is reverse or not, right?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 12:27am
81nautique, correct oil pump is a std item because as you surmised the gears are cut different to allow dist rotation in the same direction .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:08am
Duck, regarding the age of your engine, how is he determining the engine age, in terms of a '71-'72. If he's looking at casting numbers as shown on the intake manifold or block, it could indeed appear as a 71-72, while it could have indeed been assembled in '76 or '77. The casting numbers are reflective of when the part was "originally" cast and the casting number may not change again until design changes are made. If your cylinder heads are the early 351 style with the larger plugs (13/16" vs 5/8"), they are more than likely a 1970 "date" casting. But if he's found the mfr's serial no. tag on the top of the engine somewhere, then that might be more conclusive. What kind of engine is it? If it's a PCM or Commander, chances are it's not a 71-72 either, as they were not yet in production, but more likely a Waukesha, Crusader or Palmer to be that age, if it's a Ford. Hope this helps.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 9:02am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

81nautique, correct oil pump is a std item because as you surmised the gears are cut different to allow dist rotation in the same direction .

Thanks Joe, I am learning an aweful lot with this project and having fun in process.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 3:10am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

well it was mainly for flat top or dished pistons and has been brought up here a couple of times, mainly by awhite70 if I recall correctly, Has something to do with the loading on the wrist pin and piston for the 180, there might be a slight offsit on the wrist pin's bore on the piston and with the rev rotation it effects it. The larger ring gaps and cyl wall/piston clearance has to do I think with the lower block temps and expansion of the piston so you need the extra clearance for the piston to grow or it scuffs the cyl wall.

For notched pistons it could be an issue, I've seen some where both sides are notched so it's not a big deal and if there isn't a slight offsit to the wrist pin then it's not an issue either.

The pistons are turned 180 deg because the thrust side (the side that takes the brunt of the load on the power stroke) changes to the other side when the direction of the crank changes. This is the case in a reverse rotation engine. If pistons are used that only have two valve reliefs cut into them, you have to order a set of 4 right side and 4 left side pistons (if pistons are not sold in a set). For running this type piston in a reverse rotation engine, you are supposed to swap the left side to the right and vice versa and point the notches to the rear. I ran into this issue a couple years back when I was building a 350 Chevy TPI engine.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 7:32am
As mentioned earlier turning the pistons around only matters if the wrist pin has an offset from center. The speedpro pistons I used didn't have an offset so I put them in normally with the marks pointing towards the front. Engine's been running fine for 100hrs since.

Another reverse rotation item that hasn't been mentioned yet is crank grinding. For a cast crank the direction of the grinding has to agree with the direction of rotation. Microscopic burrs are created during the process and if they're not pointing in the right direction your bearings won't live long.

Most everything else has been covered:
Increased piston to bore clearance
Cam is different from standard rotation.
Oil pump is the same as standard auto.
Most other marine/rev. rot components are on the outside of the engine and can be reused.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 7:54am
Awhite,

That's why it's so important to work with a machinist that has done marine engines before. I left it up to him to tell me whether the pistons had an ofset. My set of speed pros do so they have been mounted so the arrows point to the back. The originals that came out did not so they were indexed to the front. We talked about piston bore clearance and I also let him gap the rings. really all I'm doing now is assembling it , the hard works been done.

We also polished the crank and it was done reverse as well.

Got all my stuff back last night and again after picking his brain for another 30 minutes I am thoroughly impressed with his work and knowledge, I talked to 3 shops before I found this guy but I knew instantly this was the right place.

Very Pleased and I'm hoping for a very productive weekend putting this back together.

Thanks for letting me bounce these questions off of you guys, One last ?, lefty loosy righty tighty ,right?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 8:23am
One more thing, Tighten till you hear snap, then back off 1/4 turn.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 8:31am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

One more thing, Tighten till you hear snap, then back off 1/4 turn.

Thanks alot but I figured that one out a long time ago

Stay tuned though as I figure I'll hit the water in maybe 3-4 weeks and I have a brand new Holley 600 that I'll be tuning. I've read all your stuff about that and I'm sure I'll be needing you to get this thing running primo.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 9:45am
Hey Alan, what are you doing with those left over 4160s?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 10:21am
I would return it and rebuild the one he has and save the cash. Carbs very rarely wear out, once in a while the throttle plate wears out but not very often, everything else is replacable at a fraction of the cost of a new one and you'll never know the difference.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Hey Alan, what are you doing with those left over 4160s?

Chris, I've had this carb for over a year just sitting on the shelf so I may as well put it on, got it pretty cheap.

HW. I rebuilt the old one last season and figurd we'd throw it on your boat this spring and see if that's your problem. Your welcome to try it, it has 6.5 PV in it and runs very good. Choke doesn't work but maybe we could swap with yours. I'll give it to you for a swap with yours and new rebuild kit(about $50). Or we could just rebuild yours but I'm a little busy right now and your probably much closer to getting in the water than me. You can also try my 540 for a day or so to see if you like it. It may even be for sale once I get mine running and find out what I need. Let me know what you want to do.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 12:38pm
81, What is your price on the carb,after the Hi Teks,I am going to sell this new 450cfm Holley. It worked great for a stock 302,and the 750cfm does a good job but a little large for the 331...........boat dr
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 12:46pm
Alan, interested in both. I was thinking the same thing with the carb swapping, plus cash/beer. I'd love to try that prop as well, and buy if you won't be using it. Thanks for the thought.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

81, What is your price on the carb,after the Hi Teks,I am going to sell this new 450cfm Holley. It worked great for a stock 302,and the 750cfm does a good job but a little large for the 331...........boat dr

Doc, I have no idea on a price right now and I want to try to get Hollywoods problem sorted out first. I could rebuild the one he's swapping with me for you or send it to you as is if you want. I'll let you know later once we get him sorted out.

PS. HW, I still think you need a timing chain and that's the first thing we should look at. If I was replacing my distributor right now I'd let you try the EI conversion coming out of mine but that may be next year.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Doc, if you find a 600cfm for your stroker, let me know what you want for either the 450 or 750 (or both). I assume both are 4160's?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 1:50pm
Kevin what issues are you have with your's? don't recall you posting having any kind of trouble with your boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 2:09pm
Chris, serious lack of power. 38mph @ 4300 rpm WOT. It's ran like this since we got it 5 years ago, but never knew now slow it actually was until I got out the GPS in fall. Have lots of things to look over, motor is getting bent over for an "exam" monday after work. Here comes the choo-choo!

Alan, I wouldn't mind an attempt at a rebuild myself, or watch you as I haven't dug into a carb before, and didn't want to on the only one we have for the boat. Once the ice is out I'll be skiing so swapping out carbs with a known good runner would be extremely convenient. The non-heated garage hasn't been very motivating to work on the boat these last 2 bitter cold months.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 2:16pm
well I guess a compression check is in order, followed by the timing then the fuel pressure all easy things, could be as simple as a bad secondary diaphram on the carb. Does it miss fire or any thing?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 2:33pm
No, never. And that spec I gave was with a 13x12 prop. I put on a 13x13 and lost 500 rpm and .5 mph.

That's the order of tests on tap for the check-up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 2:40pm
i would do the fuel pressure first, that way the motor doesn't get hot, then I would look at the timing, well second thought check out the mechanical advance of the dist first, then FP, then the compression test all of these can and should be done with out the engine firing.

three-five cranks should be enough for the fuel pressure, then three-four cranks for each cyclinder for the compression, then the timing. Good luck hope it is something simple.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 5:22pm
Well I had a pretty good day today. Got the block assembled and heads mounted. Ran into zero problems with the assembly and actually really enjoyed myself. Couple of photos.
3 tables of parts

Assembled pistons ready to go in

Blocks ready for the crank

Bottom ends done

pistons went in sweet

long block is basically done except for valve train
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic